LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

do you have this problem? help! (hairline cracks on wooden steering wheel)

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-09, 06:11 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have that problem too, but it doesnt bother me too much. Good luck finding one though. The Dealer price is so high because it includes the airbag, i'm pretty sure.
Old 04-28-09, 11:54 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Go to a local furniture refinisher , the wheel will be off for a few days so will the car.
Old 04-29-09, 09:29 AM
j0emamma
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow!! 3gs?? is it iced out?
Old 04-30-09, 04:23 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Garage 1 outdoor parking 0.

I had a similar issue on my older LS400 that was parked for a good portion of its life in southern Florida. Some members reported the dealer replacing the steering wheels under warranty or goodwill (depending on your relationship with them.)

I would try the sanding method, or purchase one from ebay before dropping three large ones.
Old 04-30-09, 06:03 AM
hoonunya
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another example of the great information on this site.
I bought one of those sunscreen thingies the day this thread appeared.
$6 plus tax
Old 06-15-12, 06:59 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I know this thread is old, but I just wanted to warn everyone,that even a new wheel is still prone to this happening, obviously,...but what I cant seem to get, is that I JUST had a new wheel put on my 05, by the dealer due to damage done while it was in for service, and not 6 months later, I have a section of about 5 inches that is full of hairline cracks that appear to be under the surface, and are able to to be felt with your hand! My old wheel was 7 years old and it was perfect. 6 months on this one and it's cracked. Nothing has changed as far as conditions of my vehicle. Garaged, and with a custom LS430 shade up front when its parked in the sun. Before you shell out the money, thnink about that..SMH
Old 06-15-12, 07:09 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

i would rather have all leather wheel then have wood on there.
Old 06-15-12, 07:33 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Lust4Lexus
I know this thread is old, but I just wanted to warn everyone,that even a new wheel is still prone to this happening, obviously,...but what I cant seem to get, is that I JUST had a new wheel put on my 05, by the dealer due to damage done while it was in for service, and not 6 months later, I have a section of about 5 inches that is full of hairline cracks that appear to be under the surface, and are able to to be felt with your hand! My old wheel was 7 years old and it was perfect. 6 months on this one and it's cracked. Nothing has changed as far as conditions of my vehicle. Garaged, and with a custom LS430 shade up front when its parked in the sun. Before you shell out the money, thnink about that..SMH
I'd be back to the dealer in a flash. He should fix it. I would doubt that he put a new wheel on for you. I don't believe Lexus quality is that bad.
Old 06-15-12, 07:41 AM
Cronic
Pole Position

Ya mine has a few hairline cracks too. Being **** as hell I think I am going to pick up a cheap wheel on ebay for like $50-$100 install it and send mine out to be refinished.
Old 06-15-12, 11:31 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by jayclapp
I'd be back to the dealer in a flash. He should fix it. I would doubt that he put a new wheel on for you. I don't believe Lexus quality is that bad.
I agree. It was probably not a new wheel that was installed. Go and make a stink!
Old 06-15-12, 10:54 PM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Angry

hmm, so what you are saying is, that the wheel must have been a refurbished wheel and most likely the refurb was not up to snuff......I spoke to my advisor about it and he agrees that the part should not have done this. I too can't believe that a new wheel would have this happening. He said he would order another wheel for me.....I think I will let him know my concerns with simply getting another refurbished wheel, if that is indeed what I was given in the first place. The thing is- these cracks seem to be getting worse day after day, spreading and feeling more prominent under my hand. They came outa nowhere, as soon as the weather got warm. Grrr.... I have to say though, the wheel really looked good at the beginning. I should have taken clue from the two very small dents at 11 and 1 on my "new' wheel that that was where the clamps where when it was refinished. I thought that all of the "new" wheels would really be refurbished, kinda like a core exchange. It's all coming together now......

Last edited by Lust4Lexus; 06-15-12 at 11:06 PM.
Old 06-19-12, 09:25 PM
Jaxxx430
Driver School Candidate

I personally like them, I think it adds character. To the poster at the top of the page, I assure you that the airbag does not come with the wheel. List price was like 2.6k in the crash book when I looked in it last week for a part on my steering column.
Old 06-20-12, 09:08 PM
spin420
Rookie

My steering wheel has a ton of small cracks on it, but I don't want to spend money for a replacement if it is going to happen again. I don't mind how it looks, more so how you can feel all the cracks, while driving.
Old 06-21-12, 10:53 AM
lotus
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Not sure its just the sun...

My mom has a 2006 LS 430 with 19K and has had it since new and it is garaged and almost never sees the light of day.
Her wheel has twice as many hairline cracks growing on it then mine.
My 2004 LS 430 has 140K and is usually in direct sunlight.
Not saying its not sun damage, but it may also be age and materials that tend to crack as it ages. Maybe we got a back batch..
Old 06-21-12, 11:14 AM
01gs3
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I bought my LS used, I was really annoyed that my wheel had hairline cracks. I can't say it's a good thing, but I'm glad I'm not the only with this problem.

Quick Reply: do you have this problem? help! (hairline cracks on wooden steering wheel)