Leather Quality of UL vs. non-UL

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-09, 07:46 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Leather Quality of UL vs. non-UL

Hey all,

I thought that there was a difference in the leather quality between UL and non-UL LS430...however, the salesman told me that there was no difference. So, all leather are the same among the LS430s?? I thought that the UL had semi-aniline or something like that leather?? The one that i was in today had piping for seams...i could swear that the one i was in a long time ago had double stitch seams. Am i remembering things wrong?? I am getting old beyond my years....

BTW, Question #2: how much is it to replace ONE of the UL electronic shock/strut??

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-17-09, 08:30 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No, the Ultra did not have exclusive leather that another trim did not have also. The various leathers as far as I know are the base, which is flat leather, no perforation. Then there are the normal perforated leather and the semi-analine perforated leather. The perforated I believe coming with heated and cooled seats.

I have the Custom Luxury and it has the black interior with dark brown burnt wood and black perforated semi-analine leather with the "suede" headliners. This is the "best" interior that can be had and it's in Custom and Ultra trims.

As for the "air suspension" I presume you are asking about the Ultra Luxury, it can run in excess of $1200+ replaced, parts and labor for each. I have heard others get for cheaper, like $800, but I think $1000 is more the average.
Old 04-17-09, 08:47 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

UL and non UL have same quality leather, But UL and CL has "MORE" leather... dash, door panels, and suede headliner.
Old 04-17-09, 08:53 PM
junjdm
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

NO......the UL and non UL are diff.

UL is preferated....<--- however you spell that word. So I guess he didn't know what he was talking about.

Now as far as quality difference...i'm not sure...but UL's to me look like they last longer...
Old 04-17-09, 09:50 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On the 05 CustomLux vehicles the "Interior package with Semi Aniline leather" was a $2100 option. It's listed that way on my build sheet. Not sure what the UltraLux got as standard.

There is definitely a difference you feel between the regular perforated leather and the Semi Aniline leather. The regular leather feels "thin" by comparison.
Old 04-18-09, 02:26 AM
tigmd99
Racer

So, if the leather is perforated, then it is the good ("best you can have in LS") leather, right?? The LS430 (non-UL) that i was in today had the cooled/heated front seats and perforated leather. I am still trying to find an UL LS to sit in.
Old 04-18-09, 04:46 AM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I do believe that the UL & CL have a leather upgrade

Here's a link:

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...xus-ls-430.htm
Old 04-18-09, 05:11 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Is there a difference b/w semi-aniline and saddle nappa?? Does these two look different?
Old 04-18-09, 09:35 AM
Salil022
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I had 04 NON UL....it had good leather but for sure not as good as my 03 UL....On an UL leather was much more softer and it seemed higher grade...Even Dealership guy told me how they wish lexus should make UL leather standard for all the LS's, With that being said NON UL leather is still top notch quality
Old 04-18-09, 09:43 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Originally Posted by Salil022
I had 04 NON UL....it had good leather but for sure not as good as my 03 UL....On an UL leather was much more softer and it seemed higher grade...Even Dealership guy told me how they wish lexus should make UL leather standard for all the LS's, With that being said NON UL leather is still top notch quality
Does the UL leather resist creasing/cracking better??
Old 04-18-09, 01:42 PM
Salil022
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes...on my 03 UL seats had absolutely no severe creases!!! Seats looked brand new with very minimal wear on the driver side bolster from getting in and out of the vehicle.
Old 04-18-09, 02:25 PM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

01 -03 had a big difference between trims as far as leather goes..base came with no perforation... then you had a model with perforations that had heated seats...and you had the albatros leather (burgundy (option in CL only)) in the custom luxury package and offcourse you had the ultra cars that had the same leather as custom.

04 -06...since heated seats were standard..they all came with the perforated leather (could be wrong..never seen a car without). For CL and UL cars you had the semi-anline leather. You also have the option to get the saddle interior in these years.
Old 04-18-09, 07:30 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Only heated

Originally Posted by JDMUSCLE
01 -03 had a big difference between trims as far as leather goes..base came with no perforation... then you had a model with perforations that had heated seats...and you had the albatros leather (burgundy (option in CL only)) in the custom luxury package and offcourse you had the ultra cars that had the same leather as custom.

04 -06...since heated seats were standard..they all came with the perforated leather (could be wrong..never seen a car without). For CL and UL cars you had the semi-anline leather. You also have the option to get the saddle interior in these years.
The base did not have cooled seats, so I'm pretty sure that only other's beyond base had the perforated because the perforated is needed for the cooling portion.

I felt the semi-analine to be like a soft Italian leather, while the regular leather to be a Wilson's leather... just different cow skin treatment.
Old 04-18-09, 07:34 PM
tigmd99
Racer

I sure hope that the UL leather is better than my brother's LX470's leather. The LX leather creases so easy that it will crease just by looking at it! It is soft, but i think that it is thin. My G500's leather is not as soft, but it is thick and has not shown a single visible crease in 60,000+ miles (hard miles too with off-roading and jeans) and 5 years of ownership.
Old 04-18-09, 09:21 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
UL and non UL have same quality leather, But UL and CL has "MORE" leather... dash, door panels, and suede headliner.
I think you are right, my feeling is they are all the same, the only difference is perforated or not.

The UL and CL just has more leather.

I just buy the UL, so it comes with the best of everything, no need to wonder what is what, just buy the fully loaded trim and be done with it, make life easier Don't like the air? Just get rid of it!

Quick Reply: Leather Quality of UL vs. non-UL