LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Datasystem & settings 7 8 and 9 on 20's ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-09, 09:04 AM
GATO
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ay-nako
Sorry Gio, but I had to butt in and show you this NON-UL BABY!!!! Coilovers!!!

you dirty doggg, put the 20's on it already
Originally Posted by sojah

final question, does adjusting the front rods mess with the comfort of the spring rate or stroke?? ideally i would like to drop another inch in the front and half inch in the back without messing with the spring rate or stroke...
thats what Im afraid of.... I adjusted rods on my old 05 ul......after that it was never the same....plus two bags went out within a month.....so I dont even wanna go there.....

anyone have links to discussions on ss kit with ul??? I tried searching
Old 04-15-09, 10:08 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow, now i am really paranoid about adjusting the front rods... yeah i know the car sits pretty squarely stock and that the front doesn't seem to lower as much as the back does but adjusting the front rods only seems to me like something that will never be the same either, which is why i haven't messed with them yet...

i also would like to check out some ss thread discussion threads, thanks.
Old 04-15-09, 11:55 AM
et025
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks jman
Old 04-15-09, 06:30 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Note, I did lower the front rods to the lowest and the rear at the middle level. and then installed the datasystem.
Maybe that's why I am a bit lower than Adob0's car.
Old 04-15-09, 06:31 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Well, now without the 20' on my car, I have it set at "2", wow, now I remember how comfortable my car is.
Old 04-16-09, 07:17 AM
Lawrenzo
Driver School Candidate

GATO,

This might sound like a dumb question, but do you have your data system set on the SUPER LOW mode? I believe that's what it's called (I'd have to check my controller), but you put it in that setting during the start up mode. It makes each corresponding level lower than it would be in NORMAL lowering mode. So if I had my setting at "8" in SUPER LOW MODE, it would look comparible to if I had it set in "L" setting in NORMAL mode, for example.

As for the ride comfort in "8/9" setting, I ride pretty comfortably on 8. I'd have to say, pretty close to factory. If it's a harsher ride, could be due to the 20's, maybe?

In response to your blowing shocks, yes. Driving around on settings 9 and lower you have to be extremely careful that the road is smooth or you will blow a shock. Your airbag will probably be okay, but the whole thing will have to be replaced as an assembly anyway.

final question, does adjusting the front rods mess with the comfort of the spring rate or stroke?? ideally i would like to drop another inch in the front and half inch in the back without messing with the spring rate or stroke...

The ride of comfort shouldn't change too with dropping the car an inch via manipulating the rods for the sensors but keep in mind that the sensors can be really finicky and will take some fine tuning for the proper height. Depending on how low you go, it will bias the struts and bags in a way that the comfort and rates will automatically change accordingly by themselves. Too much and it will handle like a car with cut springs and blown shocks. Hope I made sense.
Old 04-16-09, 08:19 AM
junjdm
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawrenzo
GATO,

This might sound like a dumb question, but do you have your data system set on the SUPER LOW mode? I believe that's what it's called (I'd have to check my controller), but you put it in that setting during the start up mode. It makes each corresponding level lower than it would be in NORMAL lowering mode. So if I had my setting at "8" in SUPER LOW MODE, it would look comparible to if I had it set in "L" setting in NORMAL mode, for example.

As for the ride comfort in "8/9" setting, I ride pretty comfortably on 8. I'd have to say, pretty close to factory. If it's a harsher ride, could be due to the 20's, maybe?

In response to your blowing shocks, yes. Driving around on settings 9 and lower you have to be extremely careful that the road is smooth or you will blow a shock. Your airbag will probably be okay, but the whole thing will have to be replaced as an assembly anyway.

The ride of comfort shouldn't change too with dropping the car an inch via manipulating the rods for the sensors but keep in mind that the sensors can be really finicky and will take some fine tuning for the proper height. Depending on how low you go, it will bias the struts and bags in a way that the comfort and rates will automatically change accordingly by themselves. Too much and it will handle like a car with cut springs and blown shocks. Hope I made sense.

On normal mode you can't go lower than setting 5, so he is on super low mode
Old 04-16-09, 08:20 AM
junjdm
Lexus Champion

wow, now i am really paranoid about adjusting the front rods... yeah i know the car sits pretty squarely stock and that the front doesn't seem to lower as much as the back does but adjusting the front rods only seems to me like something that will never be the same either, which is why i haven't messed with them yet...

i also would like to check out some ss thread discussion threads, thanks.
He didn't have any issues w/ the front....just the rears
Old 04-16-09, 08:40 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

so it looks like just the rods + sensor adjustments is the difference between peoples ride heights at different settings on the controller. has anyone else been riding around on setting 9 on the controller??
Old 04-16-09, 08:42 AM
junjdm
Lexus Champion

so it looks like just the rods + sensor adjustments is the difference between peoples ride heights at different settings on the controller. has anyone else been riding around on setting 9 on the controller??
Setting 9 for me is a bit bouncy on the ride for daily driving...the max I've done for awhile was 7......but now I drive w/ 6 front and 5 rear ....daily....
Old 04-16-09, 08:52 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

its hard to compare perhaps, but i used to have 20's on 30 front and 25 rear series tires on stock suspension on a 2gs and it was a little harsh, so i am using this as a basis for my harshness meter... when i ride around on 7 on stock tires it feels like the optimal racy setting for me, not to stiff, but not to soft... i can ride around the city on 9 as long as i don't do to much over 40-45 mph, with a little harshness on bad road sections, but for me 7 is perfect on city & highway, but when i want even more comfort on longer highway commutes i bump it up to 5.

so ideally i prefer the comfort of these settings but would like to go lower so i guess the ss kit is the way to go then...?

if i can imagine having my old rims on my car now i think 6 or 5 would be equal to my current 7 and 8 would probably be like my current 9 setting... so i hope that since i do have the nice soft stock tires that i am not getting a false sense of stability and am really hurting my car by riding around on 9 through the city...

Last edited by sojah; 04-16-09 at 08:55 AM.
Old 04-16-09, 09:34 AM
GATO
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawrenzo
GATO,

this is good stuff, when I start the car it reads "normal select" never heard of super low..........how do you get there????

I ride on 9 up front and 8 in rear with factory 18 inch.....I like it .....smooothe ridin
Old 04-16-09, 11:20 AM
airtime

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't know how you guys are riding on setting 9. I'm not able to turn my steering wheel as it would scrap the wheel well. Maybe if I was only going straight I can ride on 9, that would kind of suck and, its extremely stiff and bouncy for me at that setting or anything below setting 7.
Old 04-16-09, 11:28 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

well my front tires are like 215x55x17 or something very similar so i'm sure your on something like 225-235x30x20 which is a good bit larger than my stock tires... kinda harsh at 9 for me but again my 55 series tires help out there too... but i think gato's is a little higher at 9 which what his initial issue is/was in the first place. if i had my last set of wheels on (20" lowenharts w/ 225x30x20) i would prolly have loads of scrapping when turning too...
Old 04-16-09, 02:36 PM
Lawrenzo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by junjdm
On normal mode you can't go lower than setting 5, so he is on super low mode
Junjdm,

I took my controller out of the car to go to the dealership so i can't check right this moment, but I'm quite sure I remember being able to go lower than 5in normal mode. Could it be a different UCF30 menu that you have yours in? I know there are two to choose from when selecting the vehicle type.

I also noticed in your AVATAR you have a pre M/C LS430, and it looks like GATO and I have the after M/C LS430. Could that be another factor in different settings?

If not, I could be wrong and I've just embarrassed myself

Originally Posted by GATO
this is good stuff, when I start the car it reads "normal select" never heard of super low..........how do you get there????

When you start your car, if the display lights up green and says "normal mode" then you are most likely in NORMAL MODE.

When in SUPER LOW MODE, whenever you start your car, the display on the controller should light up red (almost as if a warning LOL) and it will say SUPER LOW or something like that.

To get into SUPER LOW MODE: with the car off hold down the bottom right button and start the car. As it starts up the controller should beep, the display should flash red, and the display should say something to the nature of SUPER LOW. If that doesn't work, try starting it while holding the lower left button. I can't quite remember which one.

I JUST REALIZED that you could have the wrong UCF30 vehicle selected. If that is the case, try changing to the other UCF30. I had that set wrong once and it did not sit as low as the other UCF30 vehicle setting.

SO, play with your settings. Have the correct UCF30 selected and go for the SUPER LOW setting.

Last edited by Lawrenzo; 04-16-09 at 05:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Datasystem & settings 7 8 and 9 on 20's ??