Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > LS Models > LS430
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LS430 Brake Pad Replacement w/ Photos

Old 07-05-13, 02:54 AM   #91
warminwisc
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)

Replaced pads front and rear as my brakes did not pulsate, no rotor cutting and no shakes or shimmys now a couple of months later. Both Lexus and Yota insisted on cutting rotors. Thanks for the info glad to still have virgin rotors!
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
warminwisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-14, 03:23 PM   #92
UGKkllr
Lead Lap

I read thru this entire thread and did not see any mention of the fitting kit or the shim kit. It looks like no one is really buying the fitting or shim kit at all unless I missed something. Doing my front pads and rotors and wanted to know whether I need to order these kits from sewell while I am ordering the pads and rotors.
2000 Platinum Series GS300-sold
2001 Saleen S281SC -Sold
2003 Saleen Cobra(1 of 11) -Sold
2004 SVT Cobra -Sold
1997 Beater ES300 -Sold

Last edited by UGKkllr; 03-23-14 at 03:27 PM..
UGKkllr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-14, 06:40 PM   #93
SQuester
Pole Position

I just did my front pads(akebono from rockauto) and reused the shims or backing plates or whatever. I don't see why they'd need to be replaced unless they got damaged somehow.

2005 LS430~ 20" Maya DTS, BC 14k/12k coils. Low and stanced
2001 IS300~ GTE shortblock, T04E 60-1 turbo, Tein, Volk etc... --Totaled...
SQuester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-14, 04:04 PM   #94
mncz
Driver School Candidate

Just did this today- worked perfectly, thanks to the very detailed post by the OP.
mncz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-14, 03:00 AM   #95
Doc Yota
Driver

Thanks for that write up. I plan on replacing the rear pads on my LS430 this weekend(already bought new pads). I did the rear on my 99LS myself about a month ago and it was easy. From what you have just shown us, it looks like the LS430's brakes will be easier than my LS400......sweet!
Doc Yota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-14, 10:16 AM   #96
bfollett8
Driver School Candidate

Default Replace brake Pads

I replaced the front and rear pads myself at 65,000 miles, and didn't have the rotors turned. I now have 135,000 miles, and it's time to do it again. Did you have the rotors turned or measured? I haven't had any problems since the last set of pads, but don't know about this time with that many miles.
bfollett8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-14, 01:25 PM   #97
AlexusAnja

If it's not warped, why turn it and wear the rotor more? I'm at 100k no problem and 3 changes.
AlexusAnja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-14, 04:27 PM   #98
lsdude
Driver School Candidate

I just came from JM Lexus. They want to replace my front/rear pads and resurface the rotors (since it's pulsating) for $540. The pads have a lifetime warranty (includes labor) which is a bonus since I plan to keep my car for a long time. If I buy pads and new front/rear rotors from Sewell, it's $570 with shipping. The brakes have already been replaced once at 37k miles from the previous owner. It's currently at 60k. Should I invest in new rotors and start replacing the pads myself? Or should I let the dealer do the work knowing that I'll have to buy rotors from them in the future?
lsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-14, 06:49 PM   #99
BradTank
Lead Lap

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsdude View Post
I just came from JM Lexus. They want to replace my front/rear pads and resurface the rotors (since it's pulsating) for $540. The pads have a lifetime warranty (includes labor) which is a bonus since I plan to keep my car for a long time. If I buy pads and new front/rear rotors from Sewell, it's $570 with shipping. The brakes have already been replaced once at 37k miles from the previous owner. It's currently at 60k. Should I invest in new rotors and start replacing the pads myself? Or should I let the dealer do the work knowing that I'll have to buy rotors from them in the future?
I'm always very leary of "lifetime" anything, it usually means you're getting hustled.

My guess is everytime you go in for brakes they'll make you buy new rotors or charge you an arm and a leg to resurface, so it's likely a gimmick where you'd be paying about the same rate if there was no "lifetime" attached to it. I just don't think you're every going to get out of a dealership with a truly "free" brake job because of that warranty, they will likely find a way to ding you somewhere else.

You could just buy aftermarket, I've had really good luck with Wagner Thermoquiet ceramic pads and Centric premium rotors and install yourself. It's about $150 per side (front or back)

My guess is, you don't need your rear pads and rotors done, it's rare they all go out at the same time. Dealerships are notorious for trying to get customers to replace all 4, when the rears only need to be changed around once every 100k miles. So look over your service history if you can't visually inspect them and see when they were last done.

What they're asking for is considered "fair" for changing pads at a dealership, but it's a very simple job that any independent shop or shade tree owner could bang out in about a half hour. I would learn to do the job yourself and look at the DIY threads for help.
BradTank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-14, 06:49 PM

Tags
2003, 2005, brake, change, club, forums, lexus, ls, ls430, pad, pads, pics, rear, replace, sensor