LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

UL stock air suspension to steel springs conversion infos

Old 10-23-09, 09:45 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Just ordered the OEM sport suspension bigger rear sway bar, will let you guys know how it goes and if it does make any noticeable differences in body roll.
Old 10-23-09, 11:06 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BNR34
Just ordered the OEM sport suspension bigger rear sway bar, will let you guys know how it goes and if it does make any noticeable differences in body roll.
oooh, can't wait for the feedback Jeff

I don't know why they don't offer the bigger front sway bar since a bigger rear sway bar (theoretically) causes oversteering???

who did you order from?
Old 10-23-09, 11:46 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
oooh, can't wait for the feedback Jeff
I should have it on the car by next weekend.

I don't know why they don't offer the bigger front sway bar since a bigger rear sway bar (theoretically) causes oversteering???
On theory yes, a stiffer rear suspension would increase the tendency to oversteer. But this is an OEM part, Toyota would never make it stiff enough to make the car tail happy, you don't have to worry about that. I would imagine the front bar is already stiff enough for Toyota, they just soften up the rear bar on the regular model to make it more comfy for the grandpa sitting in the back. That is why they only put a bigger rear bar on the sport suspension. If you want a bigger front bar, buy it from TRD Japan.

who did you order from?
www.lexuspartsworld.com

$87.39 for the bar, and you need 2 bigger bushings at $11.14 each.

I'll measure the size differences of the 2 bars and take some pics
Old 10-25-09, 01:04 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

I just did some aggressive driving in my LS430 to see how the car feel with the stock sway bar before I put the bigger rear bar on, since I never really drive my LS430 aggressively. Boy I tell you it is nauseating to drive this big old boat aggressively thru turns, so the stock front sway bar is really stiff enough, because noone in their right mind would want to drive this car like a sports car. I do feel the rear can use a bit more roll stiffness because it does lean more, so maybe the OEM bigger rear bar is just enough. I'll let you guys know next week.
Old 10-25-09, 08:37 AM
gs4mock2
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Total shipped to my door:

All Lexus parts: $1330

NF210: $215

So doing the conversion on the entire car is cheaper then replacing one air strut at the dealer
wow.am really thinking about doing this....
Old 10-30-09, 08:11 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Just received the OEM sport suspension rear sway bar and did a quick measurement of the diameter:

OEM Regular: 13mm

OEM Sport: 14mm

TRD Sportivo: 15mm

Simple huh!
Old 11-01-09, 12:20 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Just came back from the test drive after finished installing the bigger rear sway bar, as expected, there is a little less body roll in the back, the car feel more nimble and more fun to drive. I didn't bother taking a comparison picture as the 2 bars looks identical, you can't see 1mm diameter differences But it does take away some body roll though. Definitely a nice cheap upgrade for anyone who is bore. $110 total, takes 20 minutes to install

Now I want the TRD Sportivo sway bars!
Old 11-02-09, 09:34 AM
GS3Tek

Thumbs up

Just came back from the test drive after finished installing the bigger rear sway bar, as expected, there is a little less body roll in the back, the car feel more nimble and more fun to drive. I didn't bother taking a comparison picture as the 2 bars looks identical, you can't see 1mm diameter differences But it does take away some body roll though. Definitely a nice cheap upgrade for anyone who is bore. $110 total, takes 20 minutes to install

Now I want the TRD Sportivo sway bars!
That is awesome to hear. For about $100, that's nothing

Thanks for being the pioneer! This will definitely be on the shopping list

However, isn't the TRD like $1k though???
Old 11-02-09, 10:17 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

That is awesome to hear. For about $100, that's nothing
Definitely the cheapest upgrade one can do to a LS430, I mean that coin tray is $200!

Thanks for being the pioneer! This will definitely be on the shopping list
You are welcome, glad I can share.

However, isn't the TRD like $1k though???
Yeah by the time the TRD kit get to California, it would be about $1000, but I plan to keep this car for at least 10 years, if not 20 years, so it would be worth it. I still have to measure the stock front bar diameter, but the TRD rear bar is only 1mm bigger then the OEM sport bar, we'll see, I might or might not get the TRD, but I always enjoy less body roll.
Old 11-02-09, 10:32 AM
GS3Tek

Yeah by the time the TRD kit get to California, it would be about $1000, but I plan to keep this car for at least 10 years, if not 20 years, so it would be worth it. I still have to measure the stock front bar diameter, but the TRD rear bar is only 1mm bigger then the OEM sport bar, we'll see, I might or might not get the TRD, but I always enjoy less body roll.
I'll look at it as 2mm bigger than oem non-sport. 1mm bigger than oem sport doesn't sound convincing enough

If daizen would come out with control arm bushings, I would definitely do that when the LS hits 100k miles.
I did that for the GS + teins CS + 18's= firm, smooth and controlled. Not bone jarring at all.
Old 11-02-09, 10:53 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

I'll look at it as 2mm bigger than oem non-sport. 1mm bigger than oem sport doesn't sound convincing enough
yeah that's why I want to see how much bigger the TRD front bar is, the TRD is 27mm, I need to measure the stock front bar.

If daizen would come out with control arm bushings, I would definitely do that when the LS hits 100k miles.
I did that for the GS + teins CS + 18's= firm, smooth and controlled. Not bone jarring at all.
If you like harder bushings, don't forget the OEM sport suspension also come with some harder upper A-arm bushings front and rear, the problem is Lexus don't sell the bushings separately, you have to buy the entire A-arm, which is not cheap. I personally don't like harder bushings, it make the ride harsher. I can clearly tell a stock sport suspension LS430 ride harsher then my car without the harder bushings, I love how my car ride the way it is now, I don't like the extra harshness from the OEM sport suspension bushings.

The only thing left is I can use a little less body roll, which the TRD bars would do.

Last edited by BNR34; 11-02-09 at 10:56 AM.
Old 01-09-10, 04:49 AM
Moosebakir
Driver School Candidate

Default New member with 2005 ultra

Hello everyone. I am a new member. I just bought a 2005 ultra model. Our old 1996 ls was totaled. It had 250k. I find that the new one does not handle rough roads as well. The old one wasuch smoother over the bumps. I have the air suspension with 93k miles. The warranty is good until 100k. The dealer says that nothing is wrong with the suspension. He said there was no fluid leaking and the computer is good. Does the air strut use hydrolic fluid?

Thanks for the help. Should I just replace it to the steel suspension? Where is the best place to buy the parts from and so you guys recommend any mechanic in the Chicago area? Thanks a lot.
Old 01-09-10, 04:53 AM
Moosebakir
Driver School Candidate

Default Wiggle in rear

I forgot to mention that I get a wiggle dealing in the rear over hard bumps. It just does not soak up the big bumps like the 96 did. I tried pressing down on ech corner of the car but all four sides seem pretty stiff. Also the high setting does not do anything to the hight of the car. Thanks guys.
Old 08-04-10, 10:05 AM
Leiptr
Driver School Candidate

Default Pictures

Does anyone have any pictures of the full install? Also, are you limited to only lexus parts? Can you buy aftermarket parts? If so, does anyone have an aftermarket parts list? Can I just look for parts for a ls430 (2004) sport?

If you can and no one has a list I can try to make one. I'm just posting here before I start doing all of the research.

ANY help is greatly appreciated! I've got to replace my rear air shocks as soon as possible (before I blow out two more tires).

Thanks!
Old 08-06-10, 01:07 AM
brio_ls
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much stiffer is the stock(nonsport) suspension over the UL's air suspension?

My RR strut got bad after my dealer replaced the RR hub bearing. Very strange though. Thx

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: UL stock air suspension to steel springs conversion infos