LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Considering Tinted Windows & Tails: Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-09, 02:31 AM
bigcory
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Limo tails
Attached Thumbnails Considering Tinted Windows & Tails: Thoughts?-test.jpg  
Old 03-16-09, 01:07 PM
SH212
Dances with goats

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by junjdm
might as well keep it going x4....haha
x5 ..............
Old 03-16-09, 11:25 PM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the tinted tails looks like ***. it ruins the entire look. give the designers just a little credit for the look of the car. it all goes together unlike some butcher trying to 'murder'. that is one asinine phrase.
Old 04-07-09, 09:43 AM
rich21kid
Driver School Candidate

I just smoked my taillights and I love it, I know there a lot of hate but u gotta do what u like! I have a silver LS wit 20% tint and now the light set it off more! Ill post pics later!
Old 04-07-09, 10:30 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Obviously it's just personal preference for us all, but since you asked for opinions, I'm not really a fan of overly dark window tint, but if you don't mind the reduced nightime visibility and the look, then go for it. The dark tail light lenses on the other hand have no redeming qualities IMO. They look like that tasteless cheapo stuff sold at Pep Boys and K-Mart for '90's Mustangs and pickup trucks. Again, just my opinion and no offense intended...
Old 04-07-09, 03:35 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Tint for protection

Originally Posted by I6turbo
Obviously it's just personal preference for us all, but since you asked for opinions, I'm not really a fan of overly dark window tint, but if you don't mind the reduced nightime visibility and the look, then go for it. The dark tail light lenses on the other hand have no redeming qualities IMO. They look like that tasteless cheapo stuff sold at Pep Boys and K-Mart for '90's Mustangs and pickup trucks. Again, just my opinion and no offense intended...
I was about to go 5% around, but then decided on 20 back and 50 front. So far, have no problems seeing out back. The 20 in back are not that much darker at night than say the 30% or so, factory tint, on my RX300. Here is a pic...
Attached Thumbnails Considering Tinted Windows & Tails: Thoughts?-img_0868.jpg  
Old 04-07-09, 03:47 PM
rich21kid
Driver School Candidate

I really just got em tinted cuz I didn't like the yellow on my 02 and I didn't want to update em to the 04 looks so I just went for tint
Old 04-07-09, 05:38 PM
et025
Rookie

question for ul owners with tint. did the tint shops mess up your suede during the process? thinking of tinting mine. thanks in advance
Old 04-07-09, 05:46 PM
AlexusAnja

Default Suede only in back

Originally Posted by et025
question for ul owners with tint. did the tint shops mess up your suede during the process? thinking of tinting mine. thanks in advance
I did not tint the windshield. The four doors were tinted open, so there was no suede to be touched. The only area with suede was in back, but even then, only minimal contact and no damage whatsoever. If the shop does it right, which my shop did, the "base" solution for the spray is basically a water and baby shampoo (johnson and johnson) mixture, because as they said, it has to be safe for all surfaces. Also, the water and shampoo will dry clear because solution does run down to the center brake light area.

Just make sure they use a mild watering solution.
Old 04-07-09, 05:52 PM
et025
Rookie

thanks, know anyone that has tinted the windshield? did they cover the pillars?
Old 04-07-09, 06:03 PM
AlexusAnja

Default Tint on 550i

thanks, know anyone that has tinted the windshield? did they cover the pillars?
The person who referred me to the shop got 35 all around and 50 for her windshield, but it was on her 550i and it looked SHARP. I'm not sure what you mean by it it covers the pillars? Do you mean the inside of the front A pillars? On her windshield and on the LS, there is a black edge with the "bubble" transitions, so I'm sure the tint would go to the edge of the glass only without issues. You'll never really see the "edge" anyway.
Old 04-08-09, 02:35 AM
et025
Rookie

oh i meant when they spray the base solution did the pillars get overspray
Old 04-08-09, 06:14 AM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have my windshield tinted and did not have any problems with the suede. I don't know if they cover them or are just careful. Any reputable tint shop should not mess up your car.
Old 04-08-09, 10:17 AM
AlexusAnja

Default Spray spray away...

oh i meant when they spray the base solution did the pillars get overspray
Base solution of water and baby shampoo won't do anything to the interior. Water is water, baby shampoo is basically more water and some soft cleansers. The rear suede was damp when first sprayed on, but it's dried without any issues. No sticking, tacking, discoloring or anything... but then again, maybe my interior now is too dark to see anything...

It's all
Old 04-09-09, 05:34 PM
rich21kid
Driver School Candidate

Here a quick pic i snapped of the taillight tint! I know it gets alot of hate, but HI Haters j/k! Calipers paint up next!!

Quick Reply: Considering Tinted Windows & Tails: Thoughts?