LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

DIY: Oil change Lexus LS430 2003

Old 02-02-13, 11:19 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ive actually put a strong.magnet near the drain plug that i remove just as the initial rush of oil is coming out. I dont know how much shavings i'm capturing, but using tube definitely wont work for me.
Old 02-02-13, 02:21 PM
SkipABeat
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja

The LS is located so well, that any girly-man (no offense to girly men) with pencil arms can tighten and loosen it later. Wrenched filters, like pneumatically tightened lug nuts, are mechanics ways of overtightening so the average Joe with the wrong tools can't get those parts off.
I use a torque wrench to tighten the oil filter to service manual specs. In doing so I tighten it to a point where I cannot loosen it by hand. I guess I am one of those girly men. LOL.

Girly or not, I use ramps to change the oil, and I cannot find a good position to grip the oil filter to loosen it.
Old 02-02-13, 03:17 PM
tcr101
Lead Lap

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SkipABeat
I use a torque wrench to tighten the oil filter to service manual specs. In doing so I tighten it to a point where I cannot loosen it by hand. I guess I am one of those girly men. LOL.

Girly or not, I use ramps to change the oil, and I cannot find a good position to grip the oil filter to loosen it.
I went by harbor freight and picked up their oil filter wrench. (http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece...hes-94096.html) Sliip it right over the filter and use your socket wrench
Old 02-02-13, 05:06 PM
fensterlip
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A Test of Captured Particles Would Be Useful

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Ive actually put a strong.magnet near the drain plug that i remove just as the initial rush of oil is coming out. I dont know how much shavings i'm capturing, but using tube definitely wont work for me.
I guess this begs the question, "If an aluminum block isn't leaving anything that can be captured, are there any micro pieces of bearings, journals and valves that are there to be captured - at all?"

Maybe this is best asked on a bobistheoilguy type site but we've used an extractor (since you almost have to) on boats for years. When we eventually pulled the pans there was literally nothing there. I think most of the tiniest pieces are held in suspension or captured in the filter.

I'm also thinking that the small metal pieces will come out last as the oil sweeps the remaining amount off the floor of the pan when nearly empty. It's a pretty lazy flow at that point.

I guess I'd like something more definitive before tripling my effort on oil changes. Of course YMMV and to each his own.
Old 02-02-13, 07:54 PM
Dranom
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also used the HF wrench to remove the filter and it Works great
Old 02-02-13, 08:51 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by fensterlip
I guess this begs the question, "If an aluminum block isn't leaving anything that can be captured, are there any micro pieces of bearings, journals and valves that are there to be captured - at all?"

Maybe this is best asked on a bobistheoilguy type site but we've used an extractor (since you almost have to) on boats for years. When we eventually pulled the pans there was literally nothing there. I think most of the tiniest pieces are held in suspension or captured in the filter.

I'm also thinking that the small metal pieces will come out last as the oil sweeps the remaining amount off the floor of the pan when nearly empty. It's a pretty lazy flow at that point.

I guess I'd like something more definitive before tripling my effort on oil changes. Of course YMMV and to each his own.
The highest velocity of the draining fluid is when you first start the drain and the reservoir is at it highest level. The exit velocity decreases as the fluid level is lowered. Consequently the greatest chance of draining nearby particles is when you first pull the plug.

But you should always drain the engine when it is hot, meaning as much of the particles, if any, will be suspended in the oil as possible.
Old 02-02-13, 10:40 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The magnet thing is just from practice...i dont know if im catching anything. Might just be dead weight. As for wrenches, I dont like overtightening with a wrench for fear of warping the filter gasket and causing a small leak. If you tighten by hand, it will be fine. All my cars have never used wrench to tighten. Have needed to loosen some times.
Old 02-03-13, 05:43 AM
toyo
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Always by hand. BTW, if you raise the front end of the motor to reach the oil filter be sure to lower it while it drains. The was this engine is designed it will hold old oil in the galleys when it's raised in the front.
Old 09-23-14, 03:55 PM
SteveM
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Stuck Oil Filter

So as an aside which some might be unfortunate enough to find useful, I decided to provide some suggestions for those who (for whatever reason) run into an oil filter which will not unscrew off with conventional methods. Of course, the first thing it to double, triple, quadruple check you are not tightening it, as the orientation can create some initial uncertainty.

I recall hand tightening this one at my last oil change but may have used the oil filter wrench for the final say 1-8 turn. Either way, last night my filter was not coming off with any conventional wrench setup and was late for a date and had to drive to work today so the pressure to be creative was on. My regular circular wrench's handle bent to heck quickly, plier wrench was the same and the socket type I had found did not fit the Mobil 1 M1-102 precisely enough to have enough traction so.... onto the really fun things...

1. I used penetrating oil on the filters' outer meeting with the connection to the engine. I know the internal seal is where the trouble likely was, but at this point I was getting desperate. I also tried to see if I could fit a razor blade into this crevice to try and cut at the outermost seal.

2. I used a screwdriver with a 4-5 inch long and thicker type blade to puncture all the way through the filter, to be used functionally as a lever. As I tried to turn the the filter, the blade began to cut it's way through the filter.... This thing was not budging. Thinner screwdriver blades would have a higher tendency to break or cut the filter in my view so try thicker.

3. Final stage: I used a hammer and flathead screwdriver to create a small imprint/divot along the base of the filter. I then angled the screwdriver in such a way that further hammer strikes would cause the filter to be rotated (loosened) as the screwdriver head drove the filter counter clockwise using the divot. This was able to loosen the thing for removal and when done carefully should not cause any harm.

Hopefully this will help anyone who finds themselves in this situation. Hand tightening only has new importance for me.
Old 09-23-14, 06:18 PM
SaleenS7
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by toyo
Always by hand. BTW, if you raise the front end of the motor to reach the oil filter be sure to lower it while it drains. The was this engine is designed it will hold old oil in the galleys when it's raised in the front.
Very good to know this.
Old 09-23-14, 08:27 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

When faced with a tough oil filter I always go to my 20 and 1/4 inch Channellock Pliers. They have never failed to quickly loosen a filter even when the only grip angle available on the filter is 90 degree vertical position. A relatively expensive hand tool but there are certain times in a lifetime of diy projects when you need a super strong big ^&% pair of pliers and these are the king.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHANNELLOCK-483-V-JAW-TONGUE-GROOVE-PLIER-/260920111755?pt=Pliers&hash=item3cc00cf28b
Old 04-08-16, 10:43 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I just finished changing the oil in my 2005 Lexus LS430. This was my first oil change since I bought it 5,000 miles ago.

1. Drove car up on ramps. Secured back wheels using tire chalks.
2. Remove the 2 screws that allow the section of the undercarriage cover to fold down. This will expose the oil filter. You do not have to remove the entire under carriage cover.
3. I used a 14 mm socket to remove oil drain plug with an oil drain pan to catch used oil.
4. I used a small oil filter wrench to remove the Toyota filter (#90915-YZZD3).

I used 5W/30 Valvoline High Mileage synthetic blend. I drained 5 qts out and put 5 1/2 quarts back in.
I've read where people have drained the oil with the car level but I kept the car up on ramps.
I was surprised how clean the oil looked coming out. Usually when I change the oil at 6 months or 5,000 miles on other cars it looks dark.
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Oil change Lexus LS430 2003-oil-change_1.jpg   DIY: Oil change Lexus LS430 2003-oil-change_2.jpg   DIY: Oil change Lexus LS430 2003-oil-change_3.jpg   DIY: Oil change Lexus LS430 2003-oil-change_4.jpg   DIY: Oil change Lexus LS430 2003-oil-change_5.jpg  

DIY: Oil change Lexus LS430 2003-oil-change_6.jpg  

Last edited by tradosauru; 04-09-16 at 10:08 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Fsport4lif (06-07-22)
Old 04-09-16, 06:45 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Very easy to do... Congrats.
Old 12-11-16, 11:44 PM
texan_176
Intermediate

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Did my first oil change on the 05 LS430.

I did it with the car on the ground parked on the level driveway. The pan plug was torqued to freakin 12,000 ft/lbs. I just used a breaker bar to open it and put it back with a slightly more than snug level of torque using a new washer; no big deal since it is like any other car.

The filter is another animal. A complete idiot designed the flap to open at the rear instead of the front so you can just get on the ground in front of the car and replace it without having to lift the car. I undid the front part of the shield and pulled a total of 6 screws to get to it from the front. The two screws that the flap uses were not in snug because the threads they screw into are plastic and well worn. I bite my tongue when I say this but Mercedes Benz designs better oil service access when they make a door that completely comes out of the car and is held in by 90 degrees turn twist tabs that are hand operated. The Mercedes doors are to access the drain plug since the filters on those are up top but still this is a really bad design by Toyota.
Old 12-12-16, 03:58 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by texan_176
Did my first oil change on the 05 LS430.

I did it with the car on the ground parked on the level driveway. The pan plug was torqued to freakin 12,000 ft/lbs. I just used a breaker bar to open it and put it back with a slightly more than snug level of torque using a new washer; no big deal since it is like any other car.

The filter is another animal. A complete idiot designed the flap to open at the rear instead of the front so you can just get on the ground in front of the car and replace it without having to lift the car. I undid the front part of the shield and pulled a total of 6 screws to get to it from the front. The two screws that the flap uses were not in snug because the threads they screw into are plastic and well worn. I bite my tongue when I say this but Mercedes Benz designs better oil service access when they make a door that completely comes out of the car and is held in by 90 degrees turn twist tabs that are hand operated. The Mercedes doors are to access the drain plug since the filters on those are up top but still this is a really bad design by Toyota.
I don't think it's a flap at all, imho Toyota designed the entire plastic to come off, to access the filter. I treated it like a flap and one is clearly forcing the plastic to bend out of shape when doing so. BMW has a hinged flap, that's why I was surprised to see the LS designed this way as well. It's my theory that a Japanese flagship has much in common with a Corolla or Yaris, but it is what it is. I mean when one says the entire motor is in common with a Sequoia etc., that says a lot. And yes, mine are not tight either, I've purchased those pieces that the screws go into...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY: Oil change Lexus LS430 2003