LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

How hard is it to get to the rear struts top mounting bolt on the UL?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-09, 01:35 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default How hard is it to get to the rear struts top mounting bolt on the UL?

I haven't research this yet, just want to throw the question out there to see if anyone knows.

To get to the rear strut top mounting bolts, how hard is it? Do you have to remove the rear power seats? On a normal car without power rear seats, it is easy, a few bolts and all the cushions comes out. Or can you get to it thru the trunk without messing with the seats?

In another words, what is the easiest way to get to the rear strut top mounting bolts from inside the car?

I am tired of my air suspension, want to convert to steel springs the more I think about it. And the only way to do it perfectly is doing it myself.

Last edited by BNR34; 02-23-09 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-23-09, 04:25 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't looked at it, but from the past experiences, I assume you can access them from the trunk.
But I would just ask a mechanic shop I trust to do the job.

Ohh, don't forget to remove the fuse from the Airsus ECU.
Old 02-23-09, 04:59 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by blacksc400
I haven't looked at it, but from the past experiences, I assume you can access them from the trunk.
You mean past experiences from other Lexus?

But I would just ask a mechanic shop I trust to do the job.
I don't know of any mechanic shop I trust more then I trust myself

Ohh, don't forget to remove the fuse from the Airsus ECU.
Where is the fuse at? I was just gonna unplug the air compressor, you are right, unplugging the ECU is better.
Old 02-23-09, 05:39 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

I did a lot of suspension changes on older LS/GS/ES/SC, the locations are all accessible from the trunk. Maybe hard to reach, but trunk access is a lot easier than removing the seats.

My best friend of mine is a very good mechanic and has done a lot air to standard suspension swaps, he told me if I need it, he can do it for me free of charge. Too bad you are not in Vegas.

I don't know where the fuse is, but you can get a printout from any car shops. yeah, I would pull the fuse instead of unplug the airpump.
Old 02-23-09, 05:40 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Did you figure out which shocks/springs you are going to use?

My guess is OEM sport.
Old 02-24-09, 08:16 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

I did a lot of suspension changes on older LS/GS/ES/SC, the locations are all accessible from the trunk. Maybe hard to reach, but trunk access is a lot easier than removing the seats.
That is good to know, thanks!

My best friend of mine is a very good mechanic and has done a lot air to standard suspension swaps, he told me if I need it, he can do it for me free of charge. Too bad you are not in Vegas.
Thanks for the offer

I don't know where the fuse is, but you can get a printout from any car shops. yeah, I would pull the fuse instead of unplug the airpump.
Yeah I am gonna pull the fuse.

Well just this morning, my left rear shock is dead too, just what I guessed would happen. This is good, help me make up my mind to just convert to steel springs!
Old 02-24-09, 08:18 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Did you figure out which shocks/springs you are going to use?

My guess is OEM sport.
I don't really have many choices, correct, the shock will be OEM sport, springs would either be Eibach or Tanabe. I want Eibach because they are awesome from experience, but I can't find a pic with it on a LS430, so I really don't know how low the car sit, it say it lower the car 1.4" F&R, but who knows. The Tanabe looks great, I might just go with that. I am going with the softer NF210.

Last edited by BNR34; 02-24-09 at 09:14 AM.
Old 02-24-09, 09:32 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
I don't really have many choices, correct, the shock will be OEM sport, springs would either be Eibach or Tanabe. I want Eibach because they are awesome from experience, but I can't find a pic with it on a LS430, so I really don't know how low the car sit, it say it lower the car 1.4" F&R, but who knows. The Tanabe looks great, I might just go with that. I am going with the softer NF210.
Generally, eibach is pretty conservative. It lowers the car at most 1.2" from what I remember reading.
My brother in law's 745 is sitting on eibach and I can see that it's pretty conservative-still a very small gap left.
Old 02-24-09, 09:43 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Generally, eibach is pretty conservative. It lowers the car at most 1.2" from what I remember reading.
My brother in law's 745 is sitting on eibach and I can see that it's pretty conservative-still a very small gap left.
Yeah I agreed Eibach generally is pretty conservative. The thing is, you never know until you see a car with it. The offical spec from Eibach say -1.4" all around, which is 0.4" lower then the Tanabe. The Tanabe leave a small gap, which is good enough for me. I want it lower, but I don't see Eibach going down another 0.4", that is why I question the spec. I would imagine the Eibach sit higher then the Tanabe, even though the spec say otherwise.

Thanks for your input though.
Old 02-24-09, 10:03 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

I have better experience with Eibach than Tanabe.

Show us some pics, I wanna see how it looks.
Old 02-24-09, 10:18 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

I have better experience with Eibach than Tanabe.

Show us some pics, I wanna see how it looks.
Yeah I trust Eibach more than Tanabe also, the only concern with Eibach is something their drop can be too conservative like GS3Tek mentioned.

I'll post pics for sure when I am done, then I will have a UL that some people want, a UL with the factory sport suspension

Here is a LS430 on Tanabe DF210:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ml#post4234096
Old 02-24-09, 12:39 PM
04_LS_430R
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Access to the Rear Stabilizers...

I don't have an Ultra but I can't see why there would be any difference in where they mount the top of the stabilizers. I have purchased some Eibach Sport Springs (same reason, I am not familiar with Tanabe and I have had Eibach on my Blazer and STS with great experiences) and my buddy and I have already taken a good look at what it will take to have them installed. You can only access them from inside the cabin. You will have to remove the seats and the rear dash cover (not completely but enough to get underneath it) in order to get to the top of the stabilizers. We couldn't see any way to get to them through the trunk plus there is more room to work from inside although you have to take out the back seats. Not sure what all is involved with taking out the seats in an Ultra but it doesn't seem too difficult with the Modern Luxury models. We will be installing them soon. It looks like it's going to be about a 3 hour job to do front and back springs. Good luck with your swap, hope this helps you out.
Old 02-24-09, 12:48 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 04_LS_430R
I don't have an Ultra but I can't see why there would be any difference in where they mount the top of the stabilizers. I have purchased some Eibach Sport Springs (same reason, I am not familiar with Tanabe and I have had Eibach on my Blazer and STS with great experiences) and my buddy and I have already taken a good look at what it will take to have them installed. You can only access them from inside the cabin. You will have to remove the seats and the rear dash cover (not completely but enough to get underneath it) in order to get to the top of the stabilizers. We couldn't see any way to get to them through the trunk plus there is more room to work from inside although you have to take out the back seats. Not sure what all is involved with taking out the seats in an Ultra but it doesn't seem too difficult with the Modern Luxury models. We will be installing them soon. It looks like it's going to be about a 3 hour job to do front and back springs. Good luck with your swap, hope this helps you out.
Oh yeah this helps me very much, I am looking for any infos I can get!

What would REALLY help me is seeing your car with the Eibach in, when do you plan to install them? I am dying to see a pic of it. Also where did you get your Eibach from? Eibach discontinue them and they are only available from vendors who still got some left over stock.

Please hurry and put them in! I want to see how it turns out!
Old 02-24-09, 01:09 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Also, which Eibach springs? They have pro and street, right?
Old 02-24-09, 01:30 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Also, which Eibach springs? They have pro and street, right?
I am pretty sure they only have the Pro-kit for the LS430.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Quick Reply: How hard is it to get to the rear struts top mounting bolt on the UL?