LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS430 vs S430/500

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-09, 05:01 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Can't say same for Audi

Originally Posted by warp10
I heard the newer 06+ w211 E-classes were built a lot better in terms of electrical issues.
REF: http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com...8/Reliability/
Can't say the same for Audi... saw a new Audi with the LED front marker lights and the driver's side was blown out already. I can't imagine that thing being more than a year old.
Old 02-22-09, 06:56 PM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJfrmLA
I own both. I have an '04 LS430 and an '04 S430--they sit beside one another in my garage every night. The LS is equipped with the Premium Package only--no nav or upgraded interior. The Mercedes is a "base" with no options but automatic trunk closure. They are equivalent. They get within 1-2 mpg of one another (the Mercedes gets slightly better). The W220 is my daily driver. I like the adjustable suspension, the well-designed seats, and the inevitable envy of others when you're driving Mercedes' flagship sedan. It has a 7-speed transmission. The Lexus has a 6-speed, so the W220 feels and is quicker (and that may account for the better gas mileage). They weigh within a few pounds of each other, but the W220 "feels" heavier. It's an apples and oranges decision, really. The Lexus is solid, well-made, dead stone reliable, and quiet as can be. The Lexus is my wife's daily driver. She strongly prefers it to my W220 because "it rides softer." If you set the W220 suspension to its stiffest settting, it will out corner most of the rice burners kids drive these days (I suckered one off into the weeds on a cloverleaf not long ago). The Lexus will not do as well in the twisties. The W220 is the most electronically and mechanically complicated car I have ever owned, so it has more potential for repair than the Lexus. The W220 has pneumatic suspension like the air suspension on the UL. It's reliable from '04 model year on, the '00-'03s had issues. That's it in a nutshell. If I had to buy one or the other, I'd buy the W220. I bought the Lexus first and thought it was the best car I had ever owned. Until I got the W220.

If you get a hot-rod W220 (AMG), it's a whole different car. Stay away from the V-12 models, even if 500+ hp makes your blood boil.

Don't throw rocks, boys, I'm just sharing my experience and my point of view.
I agree with most of what you said, except the part about the '04 S430 being quicker than the '04 LS430. To me, the heavier S430 felt a little slower. The AMG cars all are whole different story.
Old 02-22-09, 08:38 PM
warp10
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Can't say the same for Audi... saw a new Audi with the LED front marker lights and the driver's side was blown out already. I can't imagine that thing being more than a year old.
In general I don't have much confidence in German electrical/vacuum engineering in cars. My Dad has been a Vintage (60's-80's) Mercedes fan and always praises how the engine are solid and they don't make them how they used to. However, we still see the share of electrical and vacuum problems. Yes, the older Mercedes had less gizmos than the new ones, but they still have a lot problems with them.

I personally have had older Audi's (Audi 4000's, 200, 100) and have had my share of electrical headache's. Bosch may make performance electrical parts, but they just don't last.

Anyways, one of the reason why I decided to get my LS430 instead of either a 740il, S430, or an Audi A8l is that I cherish my time and don't really want to deal with the headache of troubleshooting electrical issues.
Old 02-28-09, 10:50 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Tee
That would make a cool pic, can you post some?
Had to go back to remember who was asking for this. Here you go Tee
I took a quick picture while I was checking the front air suspension for any crack lines....on the S class
Attached Thumbnails LS430 vs S430/500-ls-s.jpg  
Old 03-01-09, 12:50 AM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile I think what you said was on the money!!!

Originally Posted by DrJfrmLA
I own both. I have an '04 LS430 and an '04 S430--they sit beside one another in my garage every night. The LS is equipped with the Premium Package only--no nav or upgraded interior. The Mercedes is a "base" with no options but automatic trunk closure. They are equivalent. They get within 1-2 mpg of one another (the Mercedes gets slightly better). The W220 is my daily driver. I like the adjustable suspension, the well-designed seats, and the inevitable envy of others when you're driving Mercedes' flagship sedan. It has a 7-speed transmission. The Lexus has a 6-speed, so the W220 feels and is quicker (and that may account for the better gas mileage). They weigh within a few pounds of each other, but the W220 "feels" heavier. It's an apples and oranges decision, really. The Lexus is solid, well-made, dead stone reliable, and quiet as can be. The Lexus is my wife's daily driver. She strongly prefers it to my W220 because "it rides softer." If you set the W220 suspension to its stiffest settting, it will out corner most of the rice burners kids drive these days (I suckered one off into the weeds on a cloverleaf not long ago). The Lexus will not do as well in the twisties. The W220 is the most electronically and mechanically complicated car I have ever owned, so it has more potential for repair than the Lexus. The W220 has pneumatic suspension like the air suspension on the UL. It's reliable from '04 model year on, the '00-'03s had issues. That's it in a nutshell. If I had to buy one or the other, I'd buy the W220. I bought the Lexus first and thought it was the best car I had ever owned. Until I got the W220.

If you get a hot-rod W220 (AMG), it's a whole different car. Stay away from the V-12 models, even if 500+ hp makes your blood boil.

Don't throw rocks, boys, I'm just sharing my experience and my point of view.
I owned both cars as well.I have the LS430 still. I had a S430 and your points about the S430/500 are correct! The Benz has issues but rides like a performance genius! The LS doesn't have that performance ability. Not because it can't be made that way. Because it was made for smooth Luxury non athletic driving. Even sport suspension and air suspension LS's dont compare to the performance of the Benz!

I love the LS reliability and smooth quiet ride. This is why I sold the S-class for the LS 430 years ago! The LS is the best car top to bottom I ever owned. The Benz has pluses and the LS has pluses. I picked reliability over sport performance but, I agree with your views. Your points were valid and I would defend your views having been fortunate to own both!
Old 03-01-09, 05:12 AM
CelsiorAUS
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey all,

I have been looking for an 04 LS430 for 2 months now but after reading this thread i thought hey s430s are hot cars maybe ill check one out.

From my previous experience with cars I find its good to check out the forums first to see how problematic they are.

Well thats as far as my short lived 1 minute affair lasted with the s430 after reading this thread

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...r-oo-s430.html

Anyway I would have never bought one anyway.. I went from A 2.5tt soarer to a 89 celsior CF Pack, to a 98 LS400 and next car will be a Black or graphite 04 and up LS430 and i cant wait.!
Old 03-01-09, 07:52 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Had to go back to remember who was asking for this. Here you go Tee
I took a quick picture while I was checking the front air suspension for any crack lines....on the S class
THx bro for posting the pic and taking my request!

Last edited by Tee; 06-21-11 at 11:03 AM.
Old 04-14-14, 09:22 PM
stmax
Driver School Candidate

I do agree, I`m also owner of S class 430, they are good cars bet have to look for morels after 03 and upper years, the airmatic kan be problematic in some cases in older cars models. moving now to a an LS430...
Old 04-14-14, 09:30 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

5 year old thread back from the dead.
Old 04-15-14, 04:47 PM
yotee1642
Driver School Candidate

I have to join in on this one. I currently own both, 06 LS and a 06 S430. I drove the LS and wife has the S430. Well, at first she didn't like it because she felt it couldn't compare to her car. I disagreed but didn't tell her because I knew once she dorve my LS she would love it. Well, I had to put her car in the shop for routine service. She had to drive my car to pick up a client. Well, once the client got in the car, he loved it. She realized how nice my car is, and now, do I need to tell you what car I am driving? Yes, I am now the driver of a 06 Mercedes S430. Booooooo Hoooooo hoooooo.
The LS is much better than the S430 (to me), and now to my wife.

Last edited by yotee1642; 04-15-14 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-15-14, 04:57 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

its very natural to compare these cars , they are in the same class ( or supposed to be ), but I dare any of you to go join the Mercedes forums .

Its not just the S-class, its ALL Mercedes, they are built to last 3-4 years , and then the problems start , the repairs and mainteneace will put u in the poor house.

I read story after story of guys buying these cars , especially the s-600's, and are in for over 5k worth of repairs after only a month or two, or non stop electrical problems that cant be diagnosed.

Even a few stories of guys driving the car off the dealers lot and it breaking down on the ride home .

These cars don't last as long , you will almost never see one with 200+ miles, they either get parted out , or scrapped or sent overseas.

I was a member of Benzworld, key word WAS, ive since been banned for defending Lexus and being outspoken about how horribly unreliable the Mercedes are.

They are extremely hateful of Lexus , and they are very vocal about it , so I of course voiced my opinions as well.
Old 04-15-14, 06:05 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

This is how Mercedes forum looks like. Look at the second last post in this screenshot.
Attached Thumbnails LS430 vs S430/500-mercedes-forum-.jpg  
Old 04-15-14, 08:45 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by BMW7_LS430
This is how Mercedes forum looks like. Look at the second last post in this screenshot.
lmao yep that's exactly how it is ,,its one problem after another , non stop.

The worst part about it all is the owners seem to think its normal to be in the shop 6 times a year ,,they continue to justify it , and are somehow still loyal to the Mercedes brand.

The saying 'More dollars then sense" comes to mind
Old 04-25-14, 02:11 PM
fensterlip
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, my wife drives the '04 LS430 UL and it's a wonderful passengers car. So cool, calm and collected. Very smooth.
The S Class, and most any Mercedes is a drivers car. I drive a GLK and it's my 8th Mercedes over the last 40 or so years. They are not as reliable as a Lexus, but not as terrible as some posters make them out to be. I've kept them from 2 to 6 years with just the usual odd failure here and there. Nothing dramatic or horribly costly. I've never owned an S Class though. I drove, for a few days as a loaner, a 2004 CL500. I consider this a 2 door S Class for comparo purposes. It was the absolute most fun to drive of anything I've ever driven. Quite breathtaking an experience.
I can't own one. When you're a hammer everything looks like a nail. I would start racking up speeding tickets like nobody's business - or simply kill myself driving at 120mph somewhere. Too easy to do.....

The posters hard on Mercedes for expensive failures are in the right place. The LS430 is a good choice. They should stay away from the 3 point star. Everyone is happy this way.
Old 04-28-14, 03:58 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Most people don't go on forums to praise but to vent or find fixes. If you have a perfect car, why visit the forum every day? Just like not all LS are represented here, not all are on the MB forum. Lexus is better reliability but just pointing to another forum and saying all issues make car junk is not right either.

Quick Reply: LS430 vs S430/500