LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

To all who had failed air strut in their UL, is the pass side rear the 1st to go bad?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-11, 04:38 AM
2lucky
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
Your point is?

What is your comment have anything to do with this thread?
My point is that this thread may leave many to believe that UL strut failure is considerably more common than it is.

I believe these strut failures, by well maintained, stock UL's, with less than 150k miles, is relatively rare. Obviously, this may not matter if you a part of the unlucky few.

This may not be what you want to hear, but it's my take on the matter.
Old 02-04-11, 06:48 AM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think that maintenance has anything to do with strut failure. It's just a roll of the dice. Some might fail at 40K miles and some, like my car, might have no problems with 154K miles. I just got lucky. I don't think that there is anyway to prevent it from happening.
Old 02-07-11, 12:51 PM
Lawrenzo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2lucky
My point is that this thread may leave many to believe that UL strut failure is considerably more common than it is.

I believe these strut failures, by well maintained, stock UL's, with less than 150k miles, is relatively rare. Obviously, this may not matter if you a part of the unlucky few.

I agree with 2Lucky's statement. You usually hear from people that have problems and people who don't have problems keep quiet b/c, well... they have nothing to complain about.

I'm sure the number of owners who have had this problem pale in comparison to the number of problem free owners out there. However, there is a consistency to this problem problem. Outside of this particular thread, there have been multiple cases of the air strut failing in the same location. All in the rear left corner. And this is my SECOND strut in the same location. It's peculiar.

I knew of the occurance of this problem BEFORE purchasing my LS and it didn't stop me from getting it. Sucks that I had to be of the unfortunate minority, though

Last edited by Lawrenzo; 02-07-11 at 01:01 PM.
Old 02-07-11, 07:19 PM
94LSon20
Driver

This setup solved my problem: driver side rear I have the sensor all the way down, pass rear it is all the way up. Perfectly level with an inch gap between the body and tires on both sides. Also have the two front sensors lowered.

I notice when I walk out of work @5 the car leans a little to the pass side, but when I get home it's perfectly level. The car figures it out.

When it finally goes I'm converting to full coilovers. Purchase & install = less than a new Lexus air strut alone. Also the original design is no longer used Bc it was, I guess u could say defective, if/when you buy a replacement air strut from
Lexus it's a completely different design
Old 02-09-11, 07:55 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

That was the 1st one I had replaced under my CPO warranty at about 70k miles. Although, when I looked at the service history it said the front two were replaced around 30k.
Old 02-10-11, 08:13 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

BTW, the 12th most popular thread (as of Feb 2011) on the LS430 forum is related to UL air suspension issues. That tells me that it's not such an isolated issue/problem.
Old 02-12-11, 10:03 AM
jtpaajan
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2002 Lexus LS430 President Line, which is the Euro equivalent to your Ultra Luxury. It has the air ride, the backseat extras and the smart key system, but it's lacking the laser adaptive cruise. My car has about 43 000 miles and for the moment, the suspension system is working like a charm. But sometimes after the car has been sitting for some time, the back seems to be leaning slightly to the right.

So definitely, issue somewhat confirmed here as well. Great thread!
Old 02-12-11, 08:39 PM
06~ULTRA
Driver

Default bad rear air

My car has 54000 miles. Mine started out the same way. When my car was parked and not driven for a day or so. The rear pass side would lose air, lowering the car about 1/4 of an inch a day. I also never noticed any oil on the strut which would've let me to say, it’s time for a new strut. Just recently, I had an ss kit (lowering spacers) installed and it got worse. The car sounds and feels like a normal car with a damaged strut (bad noise over bumps) and now it's losing air little faster. I ordered a new strut from Lexus of Pembroke Pines. Price shipped was $865 maybe the cheapest price. So, if you see your car saggy to one side just get the strut replaced. It’s an air strut which goes through a lot of work especially on city roads. Hope this helps someone.
Old 02-12-11, 09:49 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I don't know how common it is out of all of the ULs. But my feeling is it is pretty common. Most real world UL's owners don't visit internet forums. In facts, air strut issues carry over to the LS460/LS600 as well, go over to their section and you would see many threads regarding air suspension problems.

I am with Boomer01 here, maintenance has nothing to do with strut failure since the air strut require zero maintenance. I just realized recently one factor why some air struts last longer then the other, we keep calling it a failure, it is not a failure, it is just the shock itself have worn out. So how long they last have everything to do with how much they are used. Meaning it depends on the smoothness of the road the car is mainly driven on. So if the car is always driven on smooth road, the struts last longer. That is one possible reason why some strut only last 30k miles and some last as long as 150k miles.

Sounds like somehow you think I am bashing the UL's suspension here? Not at all, I am just trying to document common issue here to help people. I love my UL, I love it when I bought it and it is still my favorite sedan after I owns the car for 4 years now. Although I prefer my steel springs now, I like the performance of the air suspension when I had it. I converted it mainly due to cost, I plan to keep my UL for 200k+ miles, I don't want to buy air struts every 60k miles for $1000 each. So don't think I am a hater here, I am just trying to help
Old 02-12-11, 09:56 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer01
I don't think that maintenance has anything to do with strut failure. It's just a roll of the dice. Some might fail at 40K miles and some, like my car, might have no problems with 154K miles. I just got lucky. I don't think that there is anyway to prevent it from happening.
Like I just said in my last post, one possible factor that determine the length of the life of the shock is the smoothness of the road the car travel on.

Let's start with you, since your strut is still good at 154k miles, is your UL mainly travel on pretty smooth road?

You are right, there is no way to prevent it from happening, but I think the smoothness of the road is a big factor in how long the strut last.
Old 02-14-11, 12:22 AM
flamingobo
Driver School Candidate

Hi there hope someone can help me?

I have had an ls430 in my ownership for the last six months and have loved every minute of it.

Around a month ago my suspension went rock solid and high, thanks to these forums I worked out that it was my rear height sensors and took it to my Lexus dealership, they agreed and changed both rear sensors, back to a perfect ride and loving my lexus.

The following morning I looked at my car, the rear right side had dropped to the floor, Lexus said that it was just an adjustment on the rear sensors, after around two hours of adjusting, the car was now perfectly level front to back and left to right, much higher at the back than before, before it sat low at the back, I believe like many other Ls's. I was in a rush so drove away, although the car looked perfect it had got all stiff!

I then drove eight hundred miles bouncing all over the place!!!

Back to the dealership who spent three days trying to diagnose the problem, Lexus say that they do not really understand how the system works, first they thought it was an ecu, big money!!! Luckily they had another ls430 on the forecourt and swapped it over from that car, result, exactly the same, bouncy, bouncy, so after further investigation they said that I needed to change both front struts as they were leaking, there was always a knocking sound from the front left strut. On removal I was told that one was pretty much locked solid, so that this was the problem.

Have the car back now and its better, but not good, the car still crashes and bounces, could driving around for so long with stiff suspension have now caused the rear shocks to fail. I'm now also wondering if adjusting the rear height sensors too high and levelling the car has over inflated the air bags and causing the firm ride. The firm ride appeared after the car was raised, I have been told that the airbags are independent to the ride, but my thoughts are that if the bag is over inflated the internal spring wont be working.

I have spent lots of money and time at the dealership and am still missing my magic ride!

Please help, I love the memory of my car, but this is making me want to get out of it!

Last edited by flamingobo; 02-14-11 at 12:29 AM.
Old 12-03-11, 09:18 AM
cyclehead
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Flamingo, did you ever get your suspension sorted out? I just bought a 2002 UL and i notice the RR wheel sits low before driving.
Old 12-04-11, 06:50 AM
ultm8mind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Ok, I have ALL four of my shocks high and "stuck there. What could be the reason for this? I don't think it could be a single side so it has to be something in common with all, please advise.
Old 12-04-11, 06:57 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if your using the data controller you need to basically reset it... its been a while for me since i used the controller but put it on L and let it settle, then put it at your normal driving height and let it settle, then unplug the controller all together for a minute or so, then plug it back in.
Old 12-11-11, 03:26 PM
gashed
Driver School Candidate

Default Newbie

Hi, newbie here. Just purchased an 04 LS 430 UL with 88K miles yesterday. The Lexus Dealer offered to sell me the Lexus Extra Care Platnium or Gold Warranties. Does anyone knw if either of these warranties cover the Air Suspension Parts and Labor? Thanks for a great forum.

Quick Reply: To all who had failed air strut in their UL, is the pass side rear the 1st to go bad?