LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

To all who had failed air strut in their UL, is the pass side rear the 1st to go bad?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-09, 02:50 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawrenzo
It's not just the fact that it shouldn't be making a noise, the clunking actually is a sign that it is failing and the car will soon start rocking like the friggin boat that it is LOL
So true, replace them before they are actually bad
Old 04-16-09, 05:25 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So the whole conversion is around 1600, which is the same as Tein CS??
This got my thinking which way I should go....
I know the CS probably only last 30K miles, but I won't keep the car for that long...
Old 04-16-09, 05:37 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by blacksc400
So the whole conversion is around 1600, which is the same as Tein CS??
This got my thinking which way I should go....
I know the CS probably only last 30K miles, but I won't keep the car for that long...
I think you can find the CS for lower then 1600....

Both set up have pros and cons, all depends on what you want.

My friend's Tein's coilover lasted him 50k miles.

With as little as you drive your LS though, why do you even need to convert it? The chance is, it won't even fail before you get rid of it, if it does fail, you probably only have to replace 1 or 2 struts at the most, at ~$850 each, the steel conversion doesn't save you any money. I plan to keep my car for 200k+ miles, I just don't want to spend $3500 every 60k miles. And I do prefer the feel of steel over the air.

And who knows, I love the LS430 so much more then the LS460, I might even rebuild the engine and tranny when it fail and keep driving it.

I don't think this issue even apply to you.

Last edited by BNR34; 04-16-09 at 05:41 PM.
Old 04-16-09, 05:58 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

I have to add, I really don't like how Air rides... Artifical feeling
That's why I still debating if I want to do the conversion...
Since I sold rest of the cars, I might just keep the LS430, if my business goes well, I can get a white/blk LS460L and give the LS430 to my wife.
Old 04-16-09, 06:14 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by blacksc400
I have to add, I really don't like how Air rides... Artifical feeling
That's why I still debating if I want to do the conversion...
Since I sold rest of the cars, I might just keep the LS430, if my business goes well, I can get a white/blk LS460L and give the LS430 to my wife.
Oh I see, if you prefer the steel feeling and keeping the car long term, then the conversion is definitely the way to go.

I tell you, I LOVES my car so much more now riding on steel springs!!

If you worry about not being able to lower the car much with the OEM shocks, lowering springs + the SS kit can get it pretty low, no gap at all. Unless you want it lower then that. The only thing is you can't change the ride height to exactly the way you want it. But the OEM shocks last longer, zero noise, less hassle. Like I said, pros and cons. If you gonna give the car to your wife though, I would say OEM shocks. But you don't need anyone to tell you what you need
Old 04-16-09, 06:16 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Remember you can't buy the tein shock individually, you can only rebuild them, or buy another whole set.

The OEM shock is available next day, individually.

And who knows how long Tein will continue making the CS for the UCF30.

Those are some of my reasons for picking the OEM shocks.
Old 09-08-09, 04:43 PM
Nick T
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

1-Year: 2004
2-Purchased: Last week
3-Current milage: 92k
4-1st strut to go out as far as I know ( passenger rear )
Old 09-08-09, 05:02 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

2002, 69k miles, right rear is now bad and has ruined the tire. Left rear tire is showing evidence of a worn shock too, but not as bad. Lots of clunks and noises in the front, I'm assuming those are on their way out too. When is someone going to offer rebuilt OEM air shocks?!?!?!?!?!
Old 09-08-09, 05:26 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ancdmd
When is someone going to offer rebuilt OEM air shocks?!?!?!?!?!
It is the end of 2009, the LS430 came out in 2001 and ended on 2006.

It is safe to say no one wants to offer rebuilt OEM air shocks, if they are interested, it would be out a long time ago. One of my guess is, they made it for the LS400, not knowing how much demand there is, and turns out they didn't sell many of them. If the 1st time didn't go well, they are not going to do it again. It make sense if you think about how many actual UL owner is looking for rebuilt OEM air shocks? Maybe 30 enthusiasts?

I gave up and did the steel springs conversion, couldn't be happier.
Old 09-09-09, 01:25 PM
gs4bkny
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just had my left rear strut fail. The car still goes up and down on that strut but the ride quality on that strut has be completely compromised. There a alot of noise coming from the strut and when you hit a bump its vibrates.
Old 09-09-09, 08:57 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone know how many UL belong to this board? as of now we have less than 10 UL had their Air Suspension fail correct?
Old 09-10-09, 08:34 AM
Nick T
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Out of 102 who answered the poll, 22 have failed air suspension

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...sues-here.html
Old 09-10-09, 09:11 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

but you also have to keep in mind that the average UL owner outside of this board does not mod their car in any way, maybe like 1% do. but out of the 100 (lets say) UL's on here how many of them have mods that would affect this air susp stuff i.e. non factory wheels (heavier and wider), plus lowering stuff like messing with the rods or installing the datasystems controller.

i would venture a guess that adding the controller and aftermarket wheels would put more stress on the UL's struts thus causing a higher number to fail. i firmly believe that these problems only seem more abundant on this board. i would like to see the % of UL's that are stock that had a strut fail. it is prolly something ridiculously low like 0.2 %. it just seems high (10-15% cause we are on this board).

i have had my 05 UL for about a year now (with no air susp issues) but if i had it to do over i would have taken the extra $$ i saved on getting an ML and put like some tein cs coilovers (suspension), or even an aftermarket air susp setup, and still had about 2k left over.

my UL with the controller lately seems to have a mind of its own since i've been riding around for the last week with family sitting in the back seat. it just raises at random times then drops back to the proper setting at random times, even when i drove to work by myself yesterday it was doing the same thing. i think i will go reset it here in a few minutes, but it is really getting on my nerves.

i figure it prolly costed me about 5-6k extra for the UL and yeah thats all.
Old 09-11-09, 01:08 PM
gs4bkny
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sojah
but you also have to keep in mind that the average UL owner outside of this board does not mod their car in any way, maybe like 1% do. but out of the 100 (lets say) UL's on here how many of them have mods that would affect this air susp stuff i.e. non factory wheels (heavier and wider), plus lowering stuff like messing with the rods or installing the datasystems controller.

i would venture a guess that adding the controller and aftermarket wheels would put more stress on the UL's struts thus causing a higher number to fail. i firmly believe that these problems only seem more abundant on this board. i would like to see the % of UL's that are stock that had a strut fail. it is prolly something ridiculously low like 0.2 %. it just seems high (10-15% cause we are on this board).

i have had my 05 UL for about a year now (with no air susp issues) but if i had it to do over i would have taken the extra $$ i saved on getting an ML and put like some tein cs coilovers (suspension), or even an aftermarket air susp setup, and still had about 2k left over.

my UL with the controller lately seems to have a mind of its own since i've been riding around for the last week with family sitting in the back seat. it just raises at random times then drops back to the proper setting at random times, even when i drove to work by myself yesterday it was doing the same thing. i think i will go reset it here in a few minutes, but it is really getting on my nerves.

i figure it prolly costed me about 5-6k extra for the UL and yeah thats all.
well my 04 ul is completely factory stock......there has been no mods to this car whatsoever andy my right rear strut has failed. The previous owner of this car lived out of state and basically had only highway miles on the vehicle so i can't chalk it up to bad roads. so i guess i am part of that 0.2%
Old 09-30-09, 02:12 PM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

1-Year: 2005
2-Purchased: two weeks ago
3-Current mileage: 60k
4-1st strut to go out as far as I know ( driver rear )

Looks like a leak in the driver's side rear shock. See leaking fluid in image below.
Attached Thumbnails To all who had failed air strut in their UL, is the pass side rear the 1st to go bad?-ls430_image1.jpg   To all who had failed air strut in their UL, is the pass side rear the 1st to go bad?-ls430_image2.jpg  

Last edited by DDLexus; 10-18-09 at 05:55 PM.

Quick Reply: To all who had failed air strut in their UL, is the pass side rear the 1st to go bad?