LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Nakamichi vs. Mark Levinson: IYHO Which is better?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-09, 09:12 AM
jyeager
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nakamichi vs. Mark Levinson: IYHO Which is better?

Currently I drive a '95 LS 400 with the Nakamichi sound system, which I absolutley love. This car has been awesome to me, I have pushed it, abused it, and used it but the car has never let me down- alas that is another story. It is, however, time for an upgrade and I am patiently waiting for the delivery of my "new" '05 LS 430. It has the Mark Levinson sound system. My friend who I purchased the 400 from replaced it with an '01 430 and he says that the Nakamichi in the 400 is superior to the Mark Levinson in his '01 430.

To those of you who have experienced both the Nakamichi and the Mark Levinson, which one do you think is better?
Old 02-05-09, 11:28 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so here goes mine.. i had a 99 gs400 with the nak. i thought it sounded a little tighter than my current 05 ls with the ml. of course the gs is a smaller car (more compact) so maybe this is why it sounded a little tighter. the ml sounds bigger and more subtly refined like i'm at an amphitheater or something. i guess it depends on what you listen to mostly is all i can describe it to. i thought rap and techno stuff like dancehall or club music stuff that hit faster and tighter sounded better on the nak or in the smaller car, but stuff like dub (even certain reggae chunes) and jazz or classical definitely sounds better on the ml in the ls.

i swear my ml in my ls is set to like classical mode or something like when your flipping through the surround sound choices on your home theatre system. i wish i knew how to put it back to stereo or club music mode...!!!
Old 02-05-09, 11:34 AM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by jyeager
Currently I drive a '95 LS 400 with the Nakamichi sound system, which I absolutley love. This car has been awesome to me, I have pushed it, abused it, and used it but the car has never let me down- alas that is another story. It is, however, time for an upgrade and I am patiently waiting for the delivery of my "new" '05 LS 430. It has the Mark Levinson sound system. My friend who I purchased the 400 from replaced it with an '01 430 and he says that the Nakamichi in the 400 is superior to the Mark Levinson in his '01 430.

To those of you who have experienced both the Nakamichi and the Mark Levinson, which one do you think is better?
Don't know about the 05, but the 02 LS 430 that I purchased when I sold you the 400 didn't sound as good as the Nak in the LS 400. Now, with the ML in my LS 460, that blows away both the Nak and the ML in my 02. It does have 19 speakers. I hope you enjoy your LS 430...

Craig
Old 02-05-09, 02:47 PM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Easy one - the Nakamichi

The ML is better than average, but by no means great. Had Mark Levinson actually designed/tuned the system, it would be outstanding. Levinson has had nothing to do with the company that bears his name for a long time.

The company that owns his name is Harmon/Becker; Harmon being a low end low price point home & auto audio manufacturer, and Becker a mid level European auto audio manufacturer. I don't know anyone that ever put either system into a car when they went to improved non standard sound.

Nakamichi was an outstanding manufacturer of top qaulity products. Not sure if they are in business anymore. Much of their business was tape decks...some people will actually ask what a tape deck is.

I had the Nak in a LS400, have Levinson in the 430. Nak beats it by far.

With 19 speakers and well tuned - I can see why the 460 ought to be greatly improved. Harmon probably knew that their LS430 system was no great shakes.
Old 02-06-09, 05:27 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jyeager

The Nakamichi sound system in my LS400 sounds so much better than the ML in the LS430. Didn't Nakamichi play a role in the development in the BOSE system at one point in time?
Old 02-06-09, 08:20 AM
arnage
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to inject a Q that's slightly off topic, but could you compare the standard (Pioneer?) system in the '98-'00 to the ML in the '04+ LS430?

I had some interest in getting an LS430, and wanted to know how the audio was, in reference... figured that some of you may have come from the 2nd generation LS w/ standard, as a basis.
Old 02-06-09, 08:28 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here we go again with the ML is not a "real" Levinson but a "redesign" and only using his name. Look, if you put/sell your name to someone and they put on something with YOUR name, it's your product. Otherwise, know what? Don't sell your name.

Like Joe Torre, you talk the talk to have a $2M book written, it's YOUR book because you said it, review it, printed it... take some ownership.

With that said, I think the ML in the LS430 is a little on the "classical" musical side, rather than hiphop R&B setting. For me, I listen to jazz mostly, so it's fine.
Old 02-06-09, 08:48 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

hey alexus i had no idea that others felt this way too. i thought it was just me. but i did notice that my cd's sound a little less classical and a little more club than my satellite radio. i really need some sort of audio cleaner uper for the satellite radio mode (which is what i listen to mostly), cuz it is a huge difference in mines at least. switching from a good sounding cd to the satellite radio in mine seems like it is all hollow and the mid is all of the sudden turned way up, the bass turned way up and the treble turned way down... there is a good bit of distortion (white noise) as well that i am trying to get used to/ ignore.
Old 02-06-09, 09:18 AM
AlexusAnja

My wife and I are quickly chasing 40, so we're below the demographic age of the "typical" Lexus owner. I don't think the "factory" radios for Lexus, ML or not, were made for hiphop playing, much less rock or anything. It's definitely geared more towards really good, easy, instrumental playing. Where you want good definition and separation, but not necessarily heavy bass.

We were at the Lexus:inspired event last night for the "unveiling" of the 2010 RX350 and it was a "strange" age demographic there. 55 and older, or under 30 I would say. What happened to everyone in between? We felt so "not in place" at the event.
Old 02-06-09, 10:19 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

hahah, i got an email about the new rx event also, thought about it, figured that there would probably be way too many people my parents age there and way to many car salesman to make the event enjoyable for my wife and I.

I am 27 my wifes about ur age (even though i act like i'm 40 M-F 8-4) and probably not exactly in the demographic for the ls 430 at all, not sure. when i was in japan for a couple weeks over the holidays i noticed a lot of ls460 owners were either early 20's or over 60... not sure where that leaves us at???
Old 02-06-09, 01:32 PM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Here we go again with the ML is not a "real" Levinson but a "redesign" and only using his name. Look, if you put/sell your name to someone and they put on something with YOUR name, it's your product. Otherwise, know what? Don't sell your name.

Like Joe Torre, you talk the talk to have a $2M book written, it's YOUR book because you said it, review it, printed it... take some ownership.

With that said, I think the ML in the LS430 is a little on the "classical" musical side, rather than hiphop R&B setting. For me, I listen to jazz mostly, so it's fine.

I fail to follow your logic. An individual who founds a high end audio business is not equivalent to an author. Furthermore, he didn't review it or design it. There is an assumption by most out there that Mark Levinson, himself, actually designed the system. I have also heard the story that he (Levinson) refused to do a system for an auto, as their cabins weren't conducive to good sound - until he looked at the LS430 - and the car had such good acoustics that he did it.

How can Mark take any ownership for something he had nothing to do with? As I understand it, his name and trademark were sold as part of the asset purchase, in which he had little choice due to the financial circumstances he found himself to be in. Why does he have to take ownership? What woul dit matter anyway? Would that change anything relative to who likes the system and who doesn't?
Old 02-06-09, 03:27 PM
AlexusAnja

Default Soul to the devil....

Originally Posted by mafpolo
... How can Mark take any ownership for something he had nothing to do with? As I understand it, his name and trademark were sold as part of the asset purchase, in which he had little choice due to the financial circumstances he found himself to be in. Why does he have to take ownership? What woul dit matter anyway? Would that change anything relative to who likes the system and who doesn't?
My point is, if you sell your soul to the Devil and he takes a crap on it, you can't say "hey, that wasn't fair..." Mark made that choice to sell "his product/company" which was his name. Due to financial reason, necessity, whatever, he sold HIS NAME. Now the Devil has put his name on a product so he can't come back and say "oh, it's not me..." You sold your name to someone to use, so it's your product.

That's all I'm saying.

Originally Posted by sojah
... I am 27 my wifes about ur age (even though i act like i'm 40 M-F 8-4) and probably not exactly in the demographic for the ls 430 at all, not sure. when i was in japan for a couple weeks over the holidays i noticed a lot of ls460 owners were either early 20's or over 60... not sure where that leaves us at???
It leaves us somewhere between "green behind the ear" and "one foot in the grave" I think... I think I read somewhere that the average age for the LS owner is 53... which means that most owners don't get to buy another LS given the reliability...
Old 02-06-09, 04:11 PM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Default Mark Levinson never said anything about it not being fair

He simply said he didn't design or tune it. He never said it wasn't fair.

He could complain - he basically got hosed on his deal that created the situation that came, but that's a story for him to tell.

The only not fair in this whole situation is Lexus buyers who think that the great guru of sound systems designed and tuned their car's system didn't do so. Rather, some sound engineers at Harmon-Becker designed it. Although I don't know this - I would assume (key word is assume) that they aren't the best sound engineers around (or they wouldn't be there), they were restricted to a budget that prevented an excellent system, and Lexus would accept above average sound, since the demographic of their customer base are not audiophiles, and those that do like music would be impressed with the "Mark Levinson" brand.

I couldn't care less about the brand. All I care about is the sound. I still think that Bose makes and tunes a far better auto audio system.
Old 02-06-09, 07:13 PM
AlexusAnja

Default Bose the hose...

Originally Posted by mafpolo
I couldn't care less about the brand. All I care about is the sound. I still think that Bose makes and tunes a far better auto audio system.
I can agree to that for sure. Honestly, I had no experience with Mark Levinson anyway so the LS430 equipped with a ML Stereo System really meant nothing to me. All I know is, the radio is really nice, but a little "mid range" when it comes to really busting the beats.

Honestly, I'd rather have an 8-track rather than a tape players...
Old 02-06-09, 08:23 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i had Nak on my GS400, and no way that sucker sounds better than my ML in my LS430... ML is really clear, not to mention my UL LS430 cabin is Ultra Quiet!

Quick Reply: Nakamichi vs. Mark Levinson: IYHO Which is better?