LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Two kinds of Cruise controls for 04 LS430?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-09, 11:28 AM
DEREKC
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Two kinds of Cruise controls for 04 LS430?

Two kinds of Cruise controls for 04 LS430 with UL + PCS package?
I need to replace my front bumper cover because of an accident. There are four types in the parts diagram:
1. W/o radar cruise w/o parking sonar
2. W/o radar cruise w/parking sonar
3. W/radar cruise w/o parking sonar
4. W/radar cruise w/parking sonar

I was told the one with the radar cruise means it has a cut-out on the right (passenger) side of the lower grille to fit the radar sensor. My LS430 has cruise but I think my radar is behind the "L" on the hood grille and I don't see a hole in my lower grille.

Which one should I buy?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...1&d=1232911700
Attached Thumbnails Two kinds of Cruise controls for 04 LS430?-clip_image009.jpg  
Old 01-25-09, 12:10 PM
So Philly1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm pretty sure your #2...

Ouch on the bumper~~~
Old 01-25-09, 12:50 PM
lxus4xms
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take it to a Lexus dealer for a quote
Old 01-25-09, 06:03 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The PCS system should be the laser guided system, not the radar system. I have the Custom with the radar on bottom and something strange about it is that it somehow is not really "monitoring" for vehicles ahead of you, but really for the vehicles reflectors. I've been behind vehicles and the system doesn't detect them so I end up getting way beyond the "set distance" of the cruise.

Anyway, you should get option #2.
Old 01-25-09, 06:14 PM
jman-LS430
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have a UL with PCS, so definitely #2. Ouch on the bumper. GL
Old 01-25-09, 06:35 PM
AlexusAnja

I might have to eat my words. If you go into "Wiki" and take that for what it's worth, it has the PCS has "which used millimeter-wavelength radar to predict crashes" and then there is the Dynamic laser cruise control. From what I know, the PCS has the cruise integrated into the system... so, I must have the "laser" guided then. So, you actually MIGHT be option #4, but not sure why if the Radar is on the grill, why there would be FOUR options for the radar. Either you have the parking or not.

OHHHHHH... the agony of it all !!!!
Old 01-25-09, 07:42 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
I might have to eat my words. If you go into "Wiki" and take that for what it's worth, it has the PCS has "which used millimeter-wavelength radar to predict crashes" and then there is the Dynamic laser cruise control. From what I know, the PCS has the cruise integrated into the system... so, I must have the "laser" guided then. So, you actually MIGHT be option #4, but not sure why if the Radar is on the grill, why there would be FOUR options for the radar. Either you have the parking or not.

OHHHHHH... the agony of it all !!!!
There are only two options for the Radar. The other two choices are for parking sensors. All Ls430's 04+ had parking sensors if im not mistaken.

So the question is which radar you have. Since you have the PCS system, its #2.
Old 01-26-09, 06:07 AM
CG lover
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

#2 for sure,, your radar unit is mounted behind the lean plate,, about 4 inch square and easy to see,,

Derry
Old 01-26-09, 10:56 AM
DEREKC
Pit Crew

Ok. I bought #4 cheap off ebay ($88, shipped - who can refuse?)
Now there is a cutout but I see Lexus has a hole cover (#18 HERE:
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0)

The question is... Is that cover made to cover the hole OR it is made to adapt to the radar cruise (#24)? If I don't have the radar cruise, then the hole cover still has a hole thru it?
Old 01-26-09, 12:20 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by DEREKC
Ok. I bought #4 cheap off ebay ($88, shipped - who can refuse?)
Now there is a cutout but I see Lexus has a hole cover (#18 HERE:
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0)

The question is... Is that cover made to cover the hole OR it is made to adapt to the radar cruise (#24)? If I don't have the radar cruise, then the hole cover still has a hole thru it?
Part #18 is a surround trim piece for the radar sensor, it still got a hole in it, it is not a cover plate.

Old 01-26-09, 03:28 PM
AlexusAnja

Originally Posted by DEREKC
Ok. I bought #4 cheap off ebay ($88, shipped - who can refuse?) ... The question is... Is that cover made to cover the hole OR it is made to adapt to the radar cruise (#24)? If I don't have the radar cruise, then the hole cover still has a hole thru it?
Hey, if the bumper fits, use it. The lower part you don't have anyway, so it's just an extra opening. Someone a while back had posted "what's wrong with this LS" and it was someone with the PCS on grill and they had installed the bumper with the cruise on the bottom also. Hey, it'll look like you have both system, so extra 'special' LS...
Old 01-27-09, 10:44 AM
DEREKC
Pit Crew

Here is the answer for my question:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...h-this-ls.html

Thank you guys.

I think I will get the right bumper cover so that my LS is not "wrong".

Last edited by DEREKC; 01-29-09 at 08:59 AM.
Old 02-01-09, 06:20 PM
DEREKC
Pit Crew

Ok. I was hit and the other driver was at fault. Her insurance company will pay me $1500 for the repair. Two estimates was quoted assuming no internal damage. If during repair (by the shop), more damage is found, that needs to be reported to them for more $.
So, if I fix it myself, I keep the $1500 but if there is more internal damage (absorber and/or the bar), I will eat it.
This afternoon, I decided to take it apart to see if there is any internal damages.

Two kinds of Cruise controls for 04 LS430?-p1010011.jpg

The foam absorber is also damaged but now since I have it all aparted, I don't want to put them all back together to take to the shop. Afterall, new bumper cover (painted), absorber ($72), hole cover (for the radar cruise), trim, some clips, etc, are still under $700. End up $800 is for my labor and I know I will try not to break anything or lose any clips/screws (knocking wood).

Questions now are...
1. Is matching the paint (Pearl White) really hard? My paint is still like original, not faded. Can I trust an ebay seller to sell me a bumper cover PAINTED? (Item number: 260018653745) Or I should trust a local body shop to paint my new (but wrong one) bumper?
2. I bought the wrong bumper off ebay (130169751746). I bought one with a radar cruise hole on the bottom grille while my LS430 UL+PCS has the radar on the hood grille. They make a hole cover trim for the bottom grille. Without the radar cruise behind this hole cover trim, does it still hold?

More pictures coming to show how the bumper was removed...

Last edited by DEREKC; 02-01-09 at 06:41 PM.
Old 02-01-09, 06:56 PM
DEREKC
Pit Crew

Front view with bumper cover and absorber off:

See the impact damage on the absorber?

A lot of clips and screws to remove to get the bumper cover off. There are at least 5 or 6 different kinds of clips and screws. Oh man, I have them all mixed up now:

What is hold the bumper cover? See the two holes here? Your goal is to get to the nuts of the bolts behind these holes. Once removed, and all the clips and screws off, you pull the cover up and forward and it is out:

Here is the bumper cover. There are a lot of stuff on it. I hope I won't break any when I move them to the new bumper:

Last edited by DEREKC; 02-01-09 at 07:08 PM.
Old 02-01-09, 07:06 PM
DEREKC
Pit Crew

These are the clips, screws, and four nuts holding the bumper cover:

Now I need help here. What are these? I got four of them. They were on the undercover. There are some kind of caps. Anyone knows?

More clips:

More clips:

More clips:

Quick Reply: Two kinds of Cruise controls for 04 LS430?