LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

If you had to improve the sound system but keep it looking like stock?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-09, 07:16 AM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Talking If you had to improve the sound system but keep it looking like stock?

What would you do?

Remember.....gotta look like stock, so replacement speakers, subwoofers, etc must either fit in existing areas, or be hidden.

Also, other amps, etc.

Lastly, must keep in mind not compromising the electronic function and reliability of the car as a result of the new system & install.

It will be interesting what we all come up with. My gut tells me that some minor changes will yield big results - for instance just replacing ML factory speakers & subwoofer will make a big improvement.
Old 01-25-09, 08:35 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mafpolo
What would you do?

Remember.....gotta look like stock, so replacement speakers, subwoofers, etc must either fit in existing areas, or be hidden.

Also, other amps, etc.

Lastly, must keep in mind not compromising the electronic function and reliability of the car as a result of the new system & install.

It will be interesting what we all come up with. My gut tells me that some minor changes will yield big results - for instance just replacing ML factory speakers & subwoofer will make a big improvement.
JL audio is a good replacement Subwoofer, but I had to add another amp in the back. The bass is wonderful even without it being cranked up.
Old 01-25-09, 11:23 AM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Default Details please

Which JL?
What amp, where did you put it? Was the install complex (even for a auto stereo place)?
Old 01-25-09, 12:04 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had Circuit city tap into my stock system to add aftermarket amp as well as 2 12" MTX subs into the trunk of my LS400. Still gives the factory look, bumps like crazy when I hit it. Also went into the doors and just upgraded the speakers to aftermarket ones.
Old 01-25-09, 12:53 PM
scottmcc
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello all

This topic seems to be bouncing back and forth in various themes through out different threads the last week or so. Let me just say that music is very subjective! Leave it at that. Some like it loud, some like it soft, some like country, some like Rock. How can we be judging what is the best sound system if we do not know what you are looking for. All systems have TONE controls so we can adjust balance for more bass or more treble. Does incredible BASS make a system better? Depends on the music you listen to... I used to have 4 12 MTX subs in my trunk. Everyone heard me from blocks away. THat was 10+ years ago... I do not want that today...
Bottom line... is this. and I have driven and or have been a passenger in ALL of the top end Mercedes, BMW's, Acuras, Ect...within the last couple of years and the Lexus 2005 Lexus LS 430 ML stock system is the best stock system I have ever heard in my life without distortion. This system you can run at max volume from Muskegon Michigan to Fort Wayne Indiana without ever hearing one note of distortion. (done it many times for 3 hours). Yes the Bose, Infinity systems may go louder with more BASS but they distort. (not good on the ears for long distance). I mostly run my system with XM radio Tuned to XM BPM station and I am truly happy with its sound. I am very particular about my sound. Again this is only my preference. Keep in mind that the ML was designed with only 1 subwoofer. Almost all custom systems have two subwoofers. Replacing the existing ML subwoofer with something else is still only going to move the same amount of air. The ML system is a meticulously balanced system to operate at full volume without distortion for prolong periods of time. Any changes in components will alter its ability to perform at is designed level.

Bottom line is this. You cannot beat the ML stock system to any other stock system in clarity of sound at full volume. (in my opininon).

PS. My custom sound system in my camaro will not allow me to run at this volume like the lexus without shutting down from over heating...
Old 01-25-09, 03:10 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mafpolo
Which JL?
What amp, where did you put it? Was the install complex (even for a auto stereo place)?
Sorry.

SUB: The JL Audio 8W1v2.4
AMP: JL Audio 1300

I didn't what a huge system in my car, so when my Mark Levinson Blew last week I had my Stereo shop Put in an 8 inch Sub, then I realized that it was taking too much power from the original AMP, so I had them add the JL 1300. It's 300W, good enough to support 2 10 inch subs if I decided to go that route later. It slips right down in the same spot as the Factory system's Sub and the Amp is in the far left corner of the trunk up against the seats. I have if under the carpet.

I don't believe is was a complex install for them. It took them about an hour to pull it in the garage, look at it, work on it, and take a drink break haha. Sub was arond 45 minutes.
Old 01-26-09, 04:37 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2 days ago i had my jl12w6 (+small box) & 500.1 jl amp installed in my ls that used to be in my previous gs. i had this shop take out my ml sub and install this stuff in the trunk. unless you look in the trunk you wouldn't know it is there, or if you actually heard the stereo you'd know it is there. it appears stock on the inside of the car but there is a small box with a sub in my trunk now. since i have the UL the bass sound quality isn't as good as it would be for a non-UL but it is definitely a big bass improvement over the stock ml. i would recommend this option for anyone wanting a little more than a little more bass.

1 12" sub plus a 500 watt amp is a small addition for most aftermarket stereo heads but a very large addition for most ml lovers/ ls owners. i guess you have to decide which one you are more closely matched to??
Old 01-26-09, 08:28 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by scottmcc
Hello all
Bottom line is this. You cannot beat the ML stock system to any other stock system in clarity of sound at full volume. (in my opininon).
The major problem we are facing is blowing our subs. With a system as well-designed as this, we shouldn't be blowing them when listening to CDs going down the road. I wish Lexus still had Nakamichi.
Old 01-26-09, 09:11 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

i thought the nakamichi sounded a little better too...
Old 01-26-09, 11:40 AM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Soon I am going to be installing a 8" or 10" sub in the stock location. Most likely will require a little bit of trimming but nothing too big. I will also add a seperate amp and dynamat the rear trunk deck. It should give me a lot more base with a stock look.
Old 01-26-09, 01:00 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

but free air subs don't sound amazing to me,, maybe i just haven't heard the right one/ setup. is it possible to make a box around the sub??
Old 01-26-09, 07:54 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sojah
but free air subs don't sound amazing to me,, maybe i just haven't heard the right one/ setup. is it possible to make a box around the sub??
Anything is possible... but I probably wouldn't do it. If I can feel a good amount of bass throughout ever inch of the car, then I do not need anymore output.
Old 01-27-09, 05:53 PM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Default Clarification

What I really intended was to find out what would we do if we made changes to the ML system that resulted in a "reference" system. So, the system would recreate music as accurately as possible - minimal distortion, but appropriate bass levels. System should sound great with all tone controls flat. Changes must not be visible - so new sub and speakers must fit in the original spaces.
Only exception is if you add an amp, you can use trunk space, or put it under a seat.

I thought Nakamichi was better. The ML is not "standard" it's and upgrade, it sounds very good but not great. The ML is basically a Harmon K, which is no great shakes.

I have never heard the upgrade Bang & Olufsen in an Audi, but my gut tells me that it will blow the ML's doors off.
Old 01-28-09, 04:53 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

jl makes a thing called a clean sweep and i believe rockford makes one as well (name might be slightly different though-- for proprietary reasons and all) and this allows you to use your factory head unit/ navi while replacing all speakers inside the car, adding any additional amps you want and as many subs as you want. it takes the signal in from the factory processor head unit, cleans is up, completely takes out any distortion, send the signal out to the speakers and additional amps. they only cost like 300$ but i hear installation is time consuming. the only reason i didn't go this route is because you have to replace all of your factory speakers. this is what the pros use and well the rich folks because it will sound so damn clean (good) but with that completely factory look... ever thought of this option??
Old 01-28-09, 05:11 PM
daddykay24
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
Sorry.

SUB: The JL Audio 8W1v2.4
AMP: JL Audio 1300

I didn't what a huge system in my car, so when my Mark Levinson Blew last week I had my Stereo shop Put in an 8 inch Sub, then I realized that it was taking too much power from the original AMP, so I had them add the JL 1300. It's 300W, good enough to support 2 10 inch subs if I decided to go that route later. It slips right down in the same spot as the Factory system's Sub and the Amp is in the far left corner of the trunk up against the seats. I have if under the carpet.

I don't believe is was a complex install for them. It took them about an hour to pull it in the garage, look at it, work on it, and take a drink break haha. Sub was arond 45 minutes.
Is your sub running free air or is it in an enclosure. If it's free air, how is the bass compared to the factory set up?

Quick Reply: If you had to improve the sound system but keep it looking like stock?