LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

'01 LS430 Transmission Fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-09, 06:05 PM
audphile1
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default '01 LS430 Transmission Fluid change

Need expert advise...sort of a second opinion.

Car's at the dealer now for a transmission mount change and lexus link removal.

I thought I would get the tranny fluid replaced as well if they're already going to be lifting the car up for a tranny mount replacement.

Last time the car had a tranny fluid change(not a flush) was 80k miles ago.

Dealer looked at fluid and said it looks a bit darkish and does not recommend draining/replacing it. I would still like to get at least some fresh fluid into the tranny. Transmission performs 100% and no issues. I am pretty confident but the dealer is cautious.

What do you guys think the best option would be:
1. Leave it alone.
2. Drain at least some of the fluid and get some fresh fluid into the tranny.
3. Replace fluid entirely.

Thanks for the help and Happy New Year!
Old 01-05-09, 06:11 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

80K you drained and how many miles do you have now that it looks darkish? I would do a complete flush at this point if you haven't done so already. Also, depends on if you're keeping the LS for the long run. If so, flush for sure.
Old 01-05-09, 06:32 PM
audphile1
Pole Position

Thanks for your reply. I have over 100k on it now. Plan on keeping the car for at least anotgher year and possibly longer. Love it. It's been great. What made me paranoid is that the dealer thinks there is a potential for transmission problems if the fluid is flushed. Although I see absolutely no indication of tranny problems. It shifts smooth through all gears and accelerates great right now. The only hickup was the tranny mount, which they do not have in stock so the car is sitting there now waiting for a part. Any other thoughts?
Old 01-05-09, 07:58 PM
AlexusAnja

Strange that dealer would thinking that flushing and filling with all NEW fluid would be worse than doing nothing or just plain drain-n-fill. Wonder where their thinking and coming from. Have you asked why they think flushing could lead to problems? That's like saying topping your half glass of warm soda with cold soda is better than getting you a full refill of new cold soda.
Old 01-05-09, 08:03 PM
audphile1
Pole Position

they said that the fluid that is currently there thickened with time and usage and draining it and filling with new(thinner) fluid may do more harm than good. I think I may risk it and have them drain it anyway. it's been performing with no problems and I am pretty confident that it should be OK. Unless there really is a potential danger in doing this. it also makes very little sense to me to leave the way it is...what good would that do?
Old 01-05-09, 08:17 PM
Rice
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have encountered the same thing from many mechanics. They think that flushing the old fluid can cause problems. According to them,people come in for a flush with perfectly good trannys and then issues arise after the flush. Noone knows why, they just go by experience.
I think that the dealer is afraid if this happening and then being liable for possible transmission repair.

I currently have 80K on mine and am thinking of installing an aux. cooler - just ordered one. Some fluid will be lost during the install, so i'm thinking of goig tot he dealer for a refill and/or flush.
I honestly don't think that any harm will come from it.

It may just be a case of lying customers who come in for a flush with bad trannys and then blaming mechanics for the problems, coz there's really no way for the shop to know if anything is wrong to begin with.

I'm gona do it.

BTW, how much does dealer charge for a flush?
Old 01-05-09, 08:34 PM
audphile1
Pole Position

drain and fill is 150
Old 01-05-09, 09:28 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by audphile1
drain and fill is 150
wow. it takes like 10mins in my garage... and fluid is about 7-10dollars for 2 quarts of Toyota fluid. Have them do it if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, just keep in mind this will only replace about 20% of the fluid in there.

Last edited by GRAND_LS 4; 01-05-09 at 09:42 PM.
Old 01-05-09, 09:42 PM
audphile1
Pole Position

I have nowhere where I can do this myself. So if this replaces about 10% of the fluid why are they so paranoid about doing it?
Old 01-06-09, 06:02 AM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
wow. it takes like 10mins in my garage... and fluid is about 7-10dollars for 2 quarts of Toyota fluid. Have them do it if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, just keep in mind this will only replace about 20% of the fluid in there.
I think it was teamplayer that had the write-up on doing the transmission flush. It seemed like a long drawn out process that took over 6 quarts of fluid. I assumed that this was the procedure that the dealerships do but maybe not.
Old 01-06-09, 06:09 AM
audphile1
Pole Position

I gave them the "go-ahead" this morning to do the tranny fluid change.
I really do not see the point of running a transmission on an old fluid. 90% of my driving is on the highway. I intend to keep the car for a while and I think it would be a piece of mind knowing that the transmission has fresh fluid. Thanks for your replies.
Old 01-06-09, 08:03 AM
Rice
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
How do you fill it up? Do you need a pump to do it? how do you tell the level?
I've read the procedure in one of the other threads just the other day and it seemed like a big deal to me.
Old 01-06-09, 10:03 AM
AlexusAnja

'01-03 was regular flush and fill. You drain from plug on bottom and then fill from top. As for if there is a plug or not on top, or you fill from the dipstick tube, that I do not know. I have the seal '04 "World Standard" lifetime fluid transmission... ugh...
Old 01-08-09, 06:44 PM
audphile1
Pole Position

Got the car back. new transmission mount installed and transmission fluid changed. Feels awesome! Much smoother, less vibration and a nice overall improvement in the way the car feels. I also need motor mounts replaced but that will have to wait. Lexus says it is 2hours labor per, so this will come out to about $800 total. I need 4 new tires first. The engine mounts will have to wait.

Can the engine mounts be replaced one at a time? Or is it really need to be both at the same time. I was thinking to let them do the driver side mount first because that is the weaker one. What do you think? Can this be done?
Old 01-09-09, 07:25 AM
Rice
Pole Position

Originally Posted by audphile1
Got the car back. new transmission mount installed and transmission fluid changed. Feels awesome! Much smoother, less vibration and a nice overall improvement in the way the car feels. I also need motor mounts replaced but that will have to wait. Lexus says it is 2hours labor per, so this will come out to about $800 total. I need 4 new tires first. The engine mounts will have to wait.

Can the engine mounts be replaced one at a time? Or is it really need to be both at the same time. I was thinking to let them do the driver side mount first because that is the weaker one. What do you think? Can this be done?
I do not recommend this.
If only one mount is replaced, the extra vibration introduced by the other bad one will tear it up quickly and you'll end up with two bad mounts pretty soon.
I suggest to go to an independant mechanic and let them install the moounts.
I'm not sure what they cost from a dealer, but mechanics get 10-15% off retail and their labor rates are 1/10th of that of a dealer.
If the mounts are around $200 each (just a guess) then the whole job should cost $500. It is really not a big job to replace them.

Quick Reply: '01 LS430 Transmission Fluid change