LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Wind noise from windshield, any TSB issued???

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-09, 05:29 AM
MAC1LSR
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nc356
Had the same issue on our '04. Original factory w/s. Noise varied with wind direction.
Tried masking tape in several places;
Found noise was silenced by taping over the entire width at w/s top, at the glass to rubber joint.
(Taping over the groove that runs across the entire width didn't change the noise)
Took it to a glass shop where they know me, told them of my tape success. They just lifted the rubber up slightly and showed me the accumulation of dirt under it; proof that it wasn't sealing tightly.
They blew out the space with shop air, and injected black "goo" full width.

Took all of 5 minutes; they wouldn't take my money.

Noise completely gone.
I've had excessive wind noise in my 2005 LS 430 since I bought it new. Hard to determine the source, but it seemed to originate from the area of the upper windshield/roof. I've thought of trying some tape over this area to see if it lessened the noise, but I never found any easily removable clear tape that was wide enough. I would think that the clear bra material is too expensive to use for this test purpose. Does anyone have any suggestions for a clear tape I can use that won't leave too much of a residue? Thanks.
Old 01-18-09, 12:21 AM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I thought it was just my car...seems like all of them had the same issues...well I guess I will be making a trip to a glass shop soon and have this taken cared!! Cant stand this noise....Come to think of it, my 95 was a better built and quieter car compared to this!!

Oh well, there are a lot of other things I love about this one...guess it is a trade off!!
Old 01-20-09, 07:26 PM
Atl
Driver

Originally Posted by JDMUSCLE
I thought it was just my car...seems like all of them had the same issues...well I guess I will be making a trip to a glass shop soon and have this taken cared!! Cant stand this noise....Come to think of it, my 95 was a better built and quieter car compared to this!!

Oh well, there are a lot of other things I love about this one...guess it is a trade off!!
Please tell me if the problem is fixed, and exactly what they did. I wait for your report.

Thanks,
David
Old 01-20-09, 10:38 PM
drink300
Lexus Champion

I've had this problem since day one with my 04 Ultra Luxury. I was shocked when I upgraded from my 03 Base model. I mean, you'd think that the Ultra would be so much quieter. Well, it's not, and I drive on the highway daily and the noise drives me up the wall. I will be soon trying the same fixes that have been mentioned here.
Old 01-28-09, 08:31 PM
Atl
Driver

Am I truly the ONLY one with unacceptable wind noise coming from my windshield ??????? The ONLY ONE ?????
Old 01-29-09, 12:47 AM
drink300
Lexus Champion

I was able to fix this with tape today. Need to find a more permanent solution, but I was happy to see that tape fixed the problem. Now, I at least know what it is!
Thanks nc356 for the ideas!
Old 01-29-09, 07:37 AM
05ls430nj
Driver School Candidate

I have a 05 LS430 and I can hear excess wind noise from windshield, it sounds like very weak radio noise, or the window is not shut completely. I will try the tape when it gets a little warmer. Seems like this is a common problem.
Old 01-29-09, 03:51 PM
Atl
Driver

Originally Posted by drink300
I was able to fix this with tape today. Need to find a more permanent solution, but I was happy to see that tape fixed the problem. Now, I at least know what it is!
Thanks nc356 for the ideas!
Where are you taping? I have taped where the rubber meets glass, at the top of the windshield, and down the sides. I have not taped: above the chrome surround, or on top of the chrome surround. Or taped the divot (channel), above the windshield and before the roof starts. I have not taped the bottom of the windshield. Am I not taping something you guys have?? After taping the top and sides as described above, no change in noise level. Wind rushing sound peaks at about 70 mph. My 99 LS never did this, and girlfriend asking "what's that noise?" is NOT cool!
Driver's seat creaks when I move around, what the hell? My sisters Hyundai's seats do not creak, her windshield doesn't do what mine does.

I feel entitled to *****ing as this car is not a Chevy, or a Hyundai, or god forbid, a Ford. My Chevy Suburban's windshield, just fine. Lexus should be better. It's not.

So, am I not taping enough?? I would love to use the blue painters tape, do a proper job, and send a picture to Japan. As if they would care. Anyone got the address?? Seriously, anyone have the address?

So not happy.

David
Old 01-30-09, 11:08 AM
drink300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Atl
Where are you taping? I have taped where the rubber meets glass, at the top of the windshield, and down the sides. I have not taped: above the chrome surround, or on top of the chrome surround. Or taped the divot (channel), above the windshield and before the roof starts. I have not taped the bottom of the windshield. Am I not taping something you guys have?? After taping the top and sides as described above, no change in noise level. Wind rushing sound peaks at about 70 mph. My 99 LS never did this, and girlfriend asking "what's that noise?" is NOT cool!
Driver's seat creaks when I move around, what the hell? My sisters Hyundai's seats do not creak, her windshield doesn't do what mine does.

I feel entitled to *****ing as this car is not a Chevy, or a Hyundai, or god forbid, a Ford. My Chevy Suburban's windshield, just fine. Lexus should be better. It's not.

So, am I not taping enough?? I would love to use the blue painters tape, do a proper job, and send a picture to Japan. As if they would care. Anyone got the address?? Seriously, anyone have the address?

So not happy.

David
The area I taped was the small black rubber peice that is immediately above the glass. Now, I used a very strong, very wide piece of duct tape. I think the width helped because the noise comes from air swirling underneath that black peice of rubber. So, if you simply tape it with a thin width tape, you will have the same problem, which is air rushing under the tape. The duct tape I use was white and came off fine and didnt leave a residue.

On the seats, I have the EXACT same issue. The rubbing comes between the center console and the seat. I also have a squeaking that comes from higher on the seat in the center. As I move forward and backward, it creaks.

I agree that these problems are unacceptable and they are not isolated. Other LS owners are having problems and I think Lexus needs to step it up if they ever want my business again.
Old 01-30-09, 02:36 PM
Atl
Driver

Originally Posted by drink300
The area I taped was the small black rubber peice that is immediately above the glass. Now, I used a very strong, very wide piece of duct tape. I think the width helped because the noise comes from air swirling underneath that black peice of rubber. So, if you simply tape it with a thin width tape, you will have the same problem, which is air rushing under the tape. The duct tape I use was white and came off fine and didnt leave a residue.

On the seats, I have the EXACT same issue. The rubbing comes between the center console and the seat. I also have a squeaking that comes from higher on the seat in the center. As I move forward and backward, it creaks.

I agree that these problems are unacceptable and they are not isolated. Other LS owners are having problems and I think Lexus needs to step it up if they ever want my business again.
Did you tape down the sides as well? What width of tape did you use? Have you done a more perm. solution, or left the tape on? If so, what did you do, and did it work?
Old 01-30-09, 04:48 PM
drink300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Atl
Did you tape down the sides as well? What width of tape did you use? Have you done a more perm. solution, or left the tape on? If so, what did you do, and did it work?
No tape down the sides. Just trying to keep the rubber piece that touches the glass covered. I used 2" width white duct tape.

Did not keep it on. Been too busy to take it to a windshield place for a permanent solution such as caulking under that rubber piece.
Old 01-30-09, 07:19 PM
MamiLS430
Driver School Candidate

I have a similar problem when I am traveling at higher rates of speed. Sounds like my window is cracked open ever so slightly. I crank up my music, which I like to listen too loud anyhow.

I will try the compressed air and see if it is my windshield. Thx
Old 02-01-09, 08:58 PM
smalls1
Driver School Candidate

Default Wind Noise

Originally Posted by Atl
I love my 2004 LS, but the wind noise coming from the windshield over 50 mph is bothering me. My 99 LS was as quiet as a mouse as far as wind noise went. It is not a whistle, but like if your side window was cracked very, very slightly. I can't tell if it is at the bottom of the windshield or the top. Windshield is the original Lexus glass, not an aftermarket windshield, it seems to not be the sunroof, the sound is straight ahead from the windshield. Was there a TSB issued about this??? Is this something they all do? Anyone know?
I have a 2001 LS430 that had the same problem. While waxing my car, I was removing the wax from the black strip that is located on both sides of the front window. I pressed down to remove the wax and I heard a click or something was pushed back into place. After the wax job, I took the car for a spin, and no wind noise. Try pressing on the two black strip on the front window of your vehicle.
Old 02-05-09, 08:27 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SO I PRINTED OUT WHAT MAC1LSR SAID HE DID, called a mobile glass repair shop, they came to my work the following day, i gave them my car and keys, 30 mins later they called my desk said it was good to go. They charged me 51$ and so far for 3 days now the sound is gone... 'knock on wood' but it is completely quiet like it should be again...

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND WHAT MAC1LSR SAID TO DO.

The mobile glass tech guy told me that the fancy chrome piece that runs along the top of the window was loose (the seal underneath was loosing its strength) and this was what was causing the noise. he said he replaced it with some super freakin strong window strip sealant stuff and after a day i should take off the piece of tape that he had put over it. $51 dollars and problem solved. much thanks to MAC1LSR and to cl for helping me solve this delima, even though i didn't even know i had wind noise before reading this thread... hahahah
The following users liked this post:
aypues (10-27-20)
Old 02-05-09, 07:04 PM
Atl
Driver

Originally Posted by sojah
SO I PRINTED OUT WHAT MAC1LSR SAID HE DID, called a mobile glass repair shop, they came to my work the following day, i gave them my car and keys, 30 mins later they called my desk said it was good to go. They charged me 51$ and so far for 3 days now the sound is gone... 'knock on wood' but it is completely quiet like it should be again...

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND WHAT MAC1LSR SAID TO DO.

The mobile glass tech guy told me that the fancy chrome piece that runs along the top of the window was loose (the seal underneath was loosing its strength) and this was what was causing the noise. he said he replaced it with some super freakin strong window strip sealant stuff and after a day i should take off the piece of tape that he had put over it. $51 dollars and problem solved. much thanks to MAC1LSR and to cl for helping me solve this delima, even though i didn't even know i had wind noise before reading this thread... hahahah
Thank you Sojah,
I am going to the glass place this weekend with your findings printed out, I'll let you know what happens.

David

Quick Reply: Wind noise from windshield, any TSB issued???