LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2005 LS Transmission Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-09, 03:29 PM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

READ THE TSIB!!!

It basically states do not change it, only inspect it every 100K. If it appears to need change then do so with the correct type of fluid. Use SST (Special Service Tool) # 00002–11100–02.

Last edited by GSoup; 01-02-09 at 03:32 PM.
Old 01-02-09, 08:08 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you're going to drive the LS430 to the ground because you love it so, then conventional wisdom would say that if you can drain and fill with fresh WS-ATF, then do it every 100K or so because no fluid is going to last the "life" of the car. If the fluid fails at 200k, then that's the life of the car right? If the fluid fails at 250K, then that's the life of the car. If it fails 100k, that's the life of the car. It's surely not going to fail during the warranty period. So, you want the "life of the car" to last truely as long as possible, then flush and fill with the special took every 100K. 100K is just my "magic number" nothing here that's from experience.
Old 04-18-09, 05:43 AM
R4a2m0o
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody have a writeup for doing tranny fluid? Where do you buy world standard from?
Old 04-18-09, 07:03 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I bought my 04 with 55 k on it and it had had a fluid change at 50 k or so by the previous owner at Lexus of West Palm, Ca.
Old 04-30-10, 11:19 AM
Jasoneo5
Lexus Test Driver

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Sorry to bring a thread back from the dead, but is it possible to install a tranny cooler on a sealed trans?
Old 05-01-10, 06:37 AM
toantran99
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Had mine done at 110k with all the major service item, timing belt, water pump, plugs, accessory belts...
Car is running fine...
Old 05-01-10, 09:31 PM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by R4a2m0o
Where do you buy world standard from?
The dealer
Old 05-02-10, 08:11 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

wow ..I understand the reasoning but I feel going 100k between fluid changes may be pushing it. I have no objective facts ...so 100k may be just fine - I think I'll do it at 60k maybe?

On my other cars I do trans fluid flush at 30k. I tend to drive my cars 10-12 years and put 140k miles total on them before replacing the car ...so 60k fluid change on trans may be overkill in my case because if I do it at 120 k I will be selling it only 10-20k later. .

Yea I really don't like that bs about "lifetime" trans fluid. Not sure who's lifetime they are referring to.
Old 05-04-10, 07:33 AM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
Yea I really don't like that bs about "lifetime" trans fluid. Not sure who's lifetime they are referring to.
That is a great way to look at it. If the tranny dies at 75k, then the fluid was good for THAT length of time (lifetime). So, in turn, if the tranny should happen to die at 200k, then the fluid was good for THAT length of time (lifetime). Either way, Lexus can say they were right..lol.

Consequently, is the tranny failure an indication that it's time to change the fluid because the TRANNY'S life has expired, or is a tranny failure an indication to change the fluid because the FLUID'S life has now expired (...and subsequently caused the tranny to fail!) EITHER WAY-DEALER WINS! (pun intended)

All this talk of tranny's is making go NUTS! Wait!

Nevermind....
Old 08-27-10, 07:39 AM
Carnut
Pole Position

100,000 Maintenance Interval — Inspection only; ATF-WS does NOT require any flushing or changing during the life of the vehicle.

The use of Genuine Toyota ATF-WS is recommended.

The use of additives or aftermarket fluids that are considered compatible
or substitutes may result in shift concerns and damage to the internal
transmission components.

ATF-WS is NOT compatible with T-IV or Dexron ATF.

Containers storing Toyota ATF-WS should always be sealed — If exposed to the
atmosphere, ATF-WS may absorb moisture and potentially cause shift concerns if
used in operation.

One time use only.

When performing repairs on ATF-WS equipped transaxles, it is important to use
only new, clean ATF–WS when refilling the ATM.

ATF-WS equipped ATMs may use the overflow type procedure — Any fluid
drained from the overflow plug should be discarded following proper local
regulations and never reused. Failure to do so could result in shift concerns and
damage to the internal transmission components.
Important
Information
Old 08-27-10, 07:43 AM
Carnut
Pole Position

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...ansmission.pdf
Old 08-27-10, 09:15 AM
tsslaporte
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since the Tranny is sealed you will need a machine that hooks up to the return line and then it hooks up to the other side. Then it swaps out the fluid using the tranny pump. Never use the machine that has its own pump.

WS fluid they rate it as lasting for ever but everyone knows fluid breaks down, changing it at 60k is a great idea. But all the dealers don't want to touch it. some dealers will do it no problem. After you pass 60k closer to 80k dealers will make you sign a waiver since the fluid might of broken down in a certain way that its help keep the seals on your tranny, then with fresh fluid it will clean them away and then you will have problems.

They rate it to last the warrantied period, they only care about the warranty period anything that happens after that is all on you.

imo if you can change the fluid do it. the earlier the better.
Old 08-27-10, 02:32 PM
Carnut
Pole Position

Default Transmission Fluid Changes

Folks, technology changes. Do any of you REALLY thinks Lexus wants your transmission to fail, regardless of the mileage on it ? A realistic answer is NO. They want your business so they are not going to "Sabatage" your transmission by all this non-sense about how long to let it stay.

MY Lexus Technician friend says it's a real "HASSLE" to change out the fluid, that it does require special equipment and the Tech has to know what he's doing.

Is anyone pulling their wheel bearings off an re-packing them any more ? NO, they are sealed units and you drive them till they are worn out, or NOT worn out. Advanced technology.......and we are stuck with "OLD HABITS", ME INCLUDED. I'd love to change the fluid on my 2005 LS-430, but just as sure as I did, I'd encounter transmission problems and the Dealership would "Fault ME" for not following Manufacturer's Recommendation.

Get over it, drive it and shop different LEXUS DEALERSHIPS for different advice. Face it, they are the one's with the REAL KNOWLEDGE and experience on Lexus Cars.

I'm from the old school also of changing coolant and transmission fluid regularly, but I'm going to have to change my ways with the advanced technology. Lexus is not in the business of running customers off. They need all they can get, and frankly, this is one more reason I will drive a Lexus, LESS REQUIRED MAINTENANCE.
Old 08-28-10, 08:09 AM
CG lover
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

talk about some old school,, I had a 33' 5th wheel camper and when ya talk to other RVers they all say you should repack them bearings every year, and many people do such,, I did do mine the first year as the MFG had done a pretty crappy job at it,, loaded them with Mobil 1 synthetic grease and the following year and many after that they always looked good,,

I use to be one of those 3K oil drop fans as well,, the Mobil 1 in my 430 at 5K still is clean and looks like it was installed last week,, 7500 miles for me,,

agree with Carunt, knowledge has advanced considerably in the lubrication world but many mind sets have not,,

Derry
Old 08-28-10, 08:47 AM
Carnut
Pole Position

IF any of you decide to have your transmission fluid changed before the DEALER recommends it, you "Better have it done by a Dealer", and with their recommendation. If you let some shade-tree mechanic do it and when he's finished and your transmission won't shift, or won't shift correctly, "IT'S YOUR FAULT", not Lexus. Better yet, if you are not comfortable with going with Manufacturer's recommendation, "I'd trade cars to another brand". By the way, some of those other Luxury Brands have the same sealed transmissions with no change recommended. Do your homework, do what your dealer recommends or get out of the Lexus cars and go to something you can spend some money on for Preventive Maintenance.

We used to pack our wheel bearings VERY often......again, when's the last time you packed a wheel bearing on your Lexus ? It's the 21st Century folks, time to move on, or catch up to the idea. If your Dealership recommends a tranny oil change at 100,000 miles, and you let them, then put them on notice it's THEIR problem if it doesn't shift correctly when you go to pick it up. Make sure it's test driven before you get too far from the Dealership.

As for me, I wish they had not have sealed the tranny and the coolant for such a long period of time between changes, we would not be having to type so much about it. I'd love to go have mine changed now and my 2005 LS just rolled over to 60K, but according to my Lexus Tech friend, "I'm playing with fire if I do".

Be your own judge. But remember, "Judges make mistakes too".

Quick Reply: 2005 LS Transmission Maintenance