LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Fog Lamp Replacement Install w/Pix

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-09, 07:01 AM
focsle
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
I'm going to put a "hurting" on that bulb and just twist like Chuck Barry....
Ah you young guys....Mr. Berry sang "Johnny B. Goode" etc, Chubby Checker did the twist!
The following users liked this post:
stuckincal (02-01-20)
Old 02-25-09, 07:56 AM
maximussp
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
My point was really... do those two screws need to come out or not? If for sure not, then I'm going to put a "hurting" on that bulb and just twist like Chuck Barry....
Yeah, I wonder why it's so hard to turn the bulb. Do you think we should push in the bulb and turn at the same time?
Old 02-25-09, 07:57 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Punk...

Originally Posted by focsle
Ah you young guys....Mr. Berry sang "Johnny B. Goode" etc, Chubby Checker did the twist!
ha ha... I'm such a punk. Yes, Chubby and Chuck are before my time.

So when do you take delivery of Goldie?
Old 02-25-09, 02:57 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

AlexusAnja,

If you want another fog light project, you could drill out the blank where the corning light socket and bulb is on the Japanese 04 Celsior, install a socket and bulb, and wire the corning light to come on with the turn signal.

Corning lights might bring visions of Cadillacs to mind, but if you have ever seen a 98-06 Celsior with cornering lights you would appreciate how well they work.

I know you are always looking for a challenge ...

The part number for the JDM corning light socket and wire is 90075‑99128 and for the bulb is 90981‑13043. I don't have part numbers for the components that would keep the corning light on constantly while the turn signal is on but I'll bet you could figure out something.
Attached Thumbnails Fog Lamp Replacement Install w/Pix-2004-celsior-fog-and-cornering-light.png  
Old 02-25-09, 04:13 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

can you post up a pic of this corning light you speak of?? i have a stack of vip mags up to my knees and some are focused only on the celsior and i can't picture what you are talking about??

are you talking about the light that only comes on and stays on while your blinker is on?? oh yeah now i recall my old nissan gloria (in j-pan) having this option. i thought my ls430 had this, i guess it doesn't based on your previous post of how to install it... yeah those are pretty pimp, well old man pimp at least...
Old 02-25-09, 06:25 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by sojah
can you post up a pic of this corning light you speak of?
I put an arrow in AlexusAnja's photo showing where the cornering lamp socket and bulb is inserted on the 04 Japanese Celsior. I suspect that it would take a non-Lexus light socket to make the cornering light work on a US spec fog light assembly since it would be difficult to cut a hole with the needed notches to accept the OEM light socket used on the Celsior.
Attached Thumbnails Fog Lamp Replacement Install w/Pix-2004-ls430-fog-light-back.jpg  
Old 02-26-09, 04:40 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cool......
Old 10-03-13, 09:00 PM
740ilsamue
Rookie

Originally Posted by airtime
Here is another show and tell from yours truly on how to do replace a fog lamp bulb. From inspiration from Tee's post on getting yellow fogs, I wanted to do it too. This install if for my 2004 LS430 though I would believe it would be similar in all years. This tutorial, if you can call it that as its super simple, should also work for replacing with xenon fogs too. Here we go......

The LS uses 9006 bulbs for the fogs so I too ordered these from a seller on eBay for $26 shipped.

Here is the before shot in daytime.

The install is super easy, not much tool required, just a screwdriver. Start by turning steering wheel to give you access to the wheel well.

There are 2 plastic plug screw holding the wheel well liner. Turning is 90 degrees will unlock it.

I used a screw driver to pry the liner off those tabs where the plastic screws were.

Then peel back a bit with your hand.

Looking inside, you should see a brown plug holding the fog bulb. Unless you are Arnold Schwarzenegger, you arm should be able to slide in.

Turn the brown plug assemble counter clockwise to remove. It should not come out with plenty of wire lead.

Replace with new bulb and reverse the direction above. The first side took 10 minutes, the second side took less than 5. Here is the result.

I feel this is not much of a writeup as there is nothing to it, but I'm sure it'll help someone out there.
Thanks for the help.
Old 11-17-13, 12:57 PM
nDrew
Pole Position

OP Thanks so much for the informative post!

I was curious to know why you went the bulb route instead of converting to HIDs. I would much rather pay the $26 than the $100~ for a HID foglight kit. I plan on going 3K yellow on the HID and wanted to know if there is a significant difference. If anyone wants to chime in on how much more beneficial it is to go 3K HID vs. these 9006 replacements it would greatly be appreciated.
Old 04-11-17, 05:42 PM
ZuerstBMW
Driver School Candidate

Thank you so much for the instructions, just changed mine out with ones that match the xenons
Old 07-13-17, 08:28 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I hate to bump this thread up from the grave but I can't seem to find the wattage of the OEM fog light bulbs? I'd like to get something that is 2500-3000k for the classic JDM look, but I can't determine what wattage to buy.

I know older Lexus and Toyotas were as much as 35 or 55 watts in some applications and the newer ones are generally only 12 watts.
Old 07-13-17, 12:07 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I hate to bump this thread up from the grave but I can't seem to find the wattage of the OEM fog light bulbs? I'd like to get something that is 2500-3000k for the classic JDM look, but I can't determine what wattage to buy.

I know older Lexus and Toyotas were as much as 35 or 55 watts in some applications and the newer ones are generally only 12 watts.
I used 35 watt HID's in my LS for a while. i also have used high power LED's too. I have never tried anything over 35 watts before as I heard stories of 55 watt HID's melting headlight housings or wiring on older Lexus.
Old 07-13-17, 01:12 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kira X
I used 35 watt HID's in my LS for a while. i also have used high power LED's too. I have never tried anything over 35 watts before as I heard stories of 55 watt HID's melting headlight housings or wiring on older Lexus.
I melted a fog light housing on a Rav4 this way once. I'll try to stick to 35w or less.

Thanks!
Old 07-13-17, 02:28 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I melted a fog light housing on a Rav4 this way once. I'll try to stick to 35w or less.

Thanks!
You're welcome!

35 watts should get the job done.
Old 07-15-17, 09:51 AM
Mobius1
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

If anyone is still interested in seeing the difference between HID-Low beams -vs- HID-Low beams + HID-Fog lights (XenonDepot 3000K) I have a quick vid i took not too long ago showing the difference.

You may want to mute the volume though, had the windows down with some random music playing while recording it.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mobius1:
S2R (03-23-21), stuckincal (02-01-20)

Quick Reply: Fog Lamp Replacement Install w/Pix