Caster Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-08, 08:37 AM
Haylands
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caster Adjustment

Hi

Just had my car's geometery checked and the caster is way out, its even both sides but over 1 degree outside the allowable range, Lexus sell replacement lower control arm bushings in different sizes to adjust the caster but this will only bring it within 1/2 degree of tolerance.

Lexus say it doesn't matter as they are both even but the suspension guy says this is a long way out and tyre wear will be excessive (which it is, shot a pair of front tyres in 6000 miles on the inside edge)

Has anyone seen/heard of an adjustable mount for the 2001 LS430 that would allow more adjustment..

Any help/ideas, greatly appreciated

Thanks

Pete
Old 09-19-08, 09:16 AM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Front or rear wheels?
Old 09-20-08, 03:54 AM
Haylands
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nauticalx
Front or rear wheels?
Hi

Its the front wheels

I have seen for sale adjustable camber brackets for the more "popular" modified cars that get lowered, this is one aspect of lowering, it effects the camber and castor and most cars have fixed castor. Mine has been dropped 30mm at the front but this has only made a very small difference to the castor, it was well out before.

The holes on the original mountings are perfectly round so allow no adjustment, I have worked out that I need to move the holes 5mm, there is enough metal to do this safely. Making a slot will not work as you could not tighten the bolt enough to stop the mount moving in the slot if you hit a pot hole etc. The adjustable ones have some form of locking into position. I could slot it, adjust it up spot on and then weld a stop on to prevent the bolt moving or try and get some cam bolts from another application that would fit. I haven't decided which to do yet. I just wondered if anyone did adjustable ones as this would save me the bother, or if anyone else had come across this problem.

Thanks

Pete
Old 06-17-20, 07:38 AM
DocCocina
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you cut a slot and are willing to weld something, use heavy washers and weld them in place. Don't just spot weld them. This would require getting them where you want them, removing the A-arm again, and welding them in solid.