Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

20000k!

I didn't even know they go that high!
Old 09-15-08, 02:32 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey guys, I think that whole KELVIN rate is BS.

the bulb glass itself is colored to match what they perceive as 3000K, 6000k, 12000k, etc.
Old 09-15-08, 03:12 PM
got56ry
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
20000k!

I didn't even know they go that high!
They actually go higher than that. There are 30000K and higher, after the blue they start to look violet and then they turn purple/pink.

Originally Posted by mikemareen
hey guys, I think that whole KELVIN rate is BS.

the bulb glass itself is colored to match what they perceive as 3000K, 6000k, 12000k, etc.
That I can tell you for a fact is not true because I sell HID's myself. There are kits like the 3000K hyper yellow HID's where the glass is covered in a yellow film, but those reduce the life of the bulbs as the heat wears down the film over time and cause the bulbs to fail. The coloring in HID's are due to ionized xenon gas reacting with metallic salts inside the bulb.
Old 09-15-08, 04:12 PM
So Philly1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These arent real good pics so dont kill me guys i'll take summore...
Old 09-15-08, 04:28 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

so how do I know which are real kelvin ratings vs fake colored glass bulbs ?

everyone set I've seen have had colored bulbs.

Originally Posted by got56ry
They actually go higher than that. There are 30000K and higher, after the blue they start to look violet and then they turn purple/pink.

That I can tell you for a fact is not true because I sell HID's myself. There are kits like the 3000K hyper yellow HID's where the glass is covered in a yellow film, but those reduce the life of the bulbs as the heat wears down the film over time and cause the bulbs to fail. The coloring in HID's are due to ionized xenon gas reacting with metallic salts inside the bulb.
Old 09-15-08, 06:42 PM
gs eddy
Rookie

good diy man. thanx for sharing.
how them 22's rolling? you bang em up on those illladelphia roads yet?
Old 09-15-08, 06:53 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

so much for every ls430 projector having the best light output...
Old 09-15-08, 07:01 PM
G_ride
Rookie

Is your HID kit for your fog lights are the ones that has a connector to the battery? I just installed HID into my fogs, but my fuse keeps on blowing. I am using the HID where it just plugs and play.
Old 09-15-08, 11:03 PM
got56ry
Rookie

so how do I know which are real kelvin ratings vs fake colored glass bulbs ?

everyone set I've seen have had colored bulbs.
If you see a set of HID bulbs that are , say 8000K, and the glass is clear, then you know it isn't coated. If you see a set of Hid bulbs that are said to be 8000K but the glass is blue, then you know it is coated. The color of the coated HID's are not what they are rated to be, because most of the time it is a 3000K bulb with whatever color filament on the glass. As I have said before, these bulbs tend to fail more because the color filament heats up and melts and causes the glass to break, as If you were to touch the glass with your bare hands, leaving oil all over the glass. Also, the coating robs light from the bulb because the light has to travel through the colored filament first. Just look for quality HID bulbs with nothing coloring the glass on the bulbs, and you should be fine .
Old 09-15-08, 11:39 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

ya well, that's what I mean.

How do I know what I'm getting if I order online ? is there a particular brand that uses cheap coated bulbs vs real kelvin ?

Originally Posted by got56ry
If you see a set of HID bulbs that are , say 8000K, and the glass is clear, then you know it isn't coated. If you see a set of Hid bulbs that are said to be 8000K but the glass is blue, then you know it is coated. The color of the coated HID's are not what they are rated to be, because most of the time it is a 3000K bulb with whatever color filament on the glass. As I have said before, these bulbs tend to fail more because the color filament heats up and melts and causes the glass to break, as If you were to touch the glass with your bare hands, leaving oil all over the glass. Also, the coating robs light from the bulb because the light has to travel through the colored filament first. Just look for quality HID bulbs with nothing coloring the glass on the bulbs, and you should be fine .
Old 09-16-08, 07:41 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Congrats on your first DIY Philly!
Old 09-17-08, 02:23 AM
got56ry
Rookie

ya well, that's what I mean.

How do I know what I'm getting if I order online ? is there a particular brand that uses cheap coated bulbs vs real kelvin ?
That I don't don't know, and I don't think anyone knows because there are so many different brands and sellers out there. An indicator of whether the HID's could be of poor quality is the price. Most of the time, you get what you pay for, and if you are paying $2 for a pair of HID's, most likely they are going to be poor quality. Personally, I would recommend Oracle brand HID's sold here http://www.automotivelightstore.com/...S&Category=202, but they are a little steep for a pair of bulbs. I've also bought some bulbs from emetrodirect off of ebay and their bulbs are legit. I think that they cost around $40-$50.
Old 09-18-08, 12:10 PM
So Philly1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gs eddy
good diy man. thanx for sharing.
how them 22's rolling? you bang em up on those illladelphia roads yet?
No prob! Yea you know they got a few curb scratches on em'. You cant aviod all of them. Thats the cost you pay to be the boss ya know!!

Originally Posted by G_ride
Is your HID kit for your fog lights are the ones that has a connector to the battery? I just installed HID into my fogs, but my fuse keeps on blowing. I am using the HID where it just plugs and play.
No this kit doesnt plug in to the battery. I uses the existing wires. The plug and play ones. Not sure why yours keeps blowing?

Originally Posted by Tee
Congrats on your first DIY Philly!
Thanks cuz!! Feels good to save a few bucks for once. Even though i proably could have taught my 1 yr old to do this one It was almost too easy....
Old 09-18-08, 03:57 PM
junjdm
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

wow....bluerishous!
Old 06-30-15, 08:14 AM
RavingFans
Driver School Candidate

I''m trying to remember how to remove the headlight assembly, but with the new forum rules I don't have enough posts to see the photos even though I' ex been a member for several years--anybody have any suggestions?

Quick Reply: My first DIY- HID bulb replacement