LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Help! Pcs Check System Cruise Check System Errors!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-11, 11:10 AM
knkmoat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCS/Radar Cruise answers

Sorry, should have updated this long ago. We had the PCS/Cruise unavailable problems and have had it fixed successfully. There is a distance control computer in the dashboard that is mentioned in the TSIB mentioned in this thread. We were able to have our dealer diagnose and confirm this computer to be the problem. Denso had updated the part years ago and although the part number is the same the old original part has a red label and the updated part has a blue label. After the distance control computer is replaced another operation called radar axis beam adjustment must be performed. There is a TSIB for the axis beam adjustment as well. The axis beam adjustment alone will sometimes fix the PCS warning and operation however without replacing the distance control computer the fix is temporary at best. With the updated control computer and the proper axis beam adjustment the radar cruise works better than ever. Under snow/icing conditions the grill "window" will ice over and the PCS unavailable warning will come on until thawed or de-iced and if you have selected "snow" on your ECT switch you will get the cruise unavailable warning. Otherwise it has worked perfectly for some time now!
Old 01-28-11, 02:18 PM
MGa
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
Maybe you are missing a step or something like that. I am sure the dealer won't charge you much for calibrating it.

How did you find that procedure?
Forgot to update about a week after changing the Denso Controller the system started working all by itself and the warning light went out.
So all well
Old 04-17-13, 06:52 PM
upndair767
Driver School Candidate

Hi Damon and Lexus Owners,

I have a 2005 LS430 that I purchased pre-owned in June 6, 2008 with 32,120 miles. It was in like new condition and had all the bells and whistles. Nice riding car.

On February 16, 2010 we received our first "Check PCS System" warning light at 37,185 miles on odometer.

Lexus Dealer wrote up that they; "Found MIL Code P1572 - Improper Aiming of Laser Sensor. Found front radar cruise sensor has open circuit. Replaced Front radar cruise contrul sensor. Cleared code and test drove. No codes found." The price tage for all that was shown as $5047.39 and covered under wrranty.

On December 24/ 2010 we received our second "Check PCS System" warning light at 40,107 miles on odometer.

Lexus Dealer wrote: "Customer reports PCS warning light is on adv.....Front radar cruise control was replaced 2/9/10. Found code stored in computer PCS radar sensor failure. Replaced failed PCS radar sensor parts under warranty." They had the car for over 3 1/2 weeks for this fix. Fixed on warranty but no price listed this time.

On April 17, 2013 we received our third "Check PCS System" warning light at 51,862 on the odometer. (Warranty expired at 50,000)

I will be contacting Lexus and we will have a discussion about this. I find myself back into this forum to check others progress. The activity seems to have died down a bnch. I was curious if a large number of owners were experiencing this problem. It would seem that only a few have documented their experience here.

Old 04-18-13, 07:37 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I've taken the time to map the location of PCS problems from people around the world reaching out to me. If you're interested in knowing what models, years, and mileage have been reported to me (certainly not all cars affected)... visit my Blog.

http://damondougherty.blogspot.com/2...is-global.html
Old 04-18-13, 11:58 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by upndair767

I have a 2005 LS430 that I purchased pre-owned in June 6, 2008 with 32,120 miles. It was in like new condition and had all the bells and whistles. Nice riding car.

On February 16, 2010 we received our first "Check PCS System" warning light at 37,185 miles on odometer.

Lexus Dealer wrote up that they; "Found MIL Code P1572 - Improper Aiming of Laser Sensor. Found front radar cruise sensor has open circuit. Replaced Front radar cruise contrul sensor. Cleared code and test drove. No codes found." The price tage for all that was shown as $5047.39 and covered under wrranty.

On December 24/ 2010 we received our second "Check PCS System" warning light at 40,107 miles on odometer.

Lexus Dealer wrote: "Customer reports PCS warning light is on adv.....Front radar cruise control was replaced 2/9/10. Found code stored in computer PCS radar sensor failure. Replaced failed PCS radar sensor parts under warranty." They had the car for over 3 1/2 weeks for this fix. Fixed on warranty but no price listed this time.

On April 17, 2013 we received our third "Check PCS System" warning light at 51,862 on the odometer. (Warranty expired at 50,000)

I will be contacting Lexus and we will have a discussion about this. I find myself back into this forum to check others progress. The activity seems to have died down a bnch. I was curious if a large number of owners were experiencing this problem. It would seem that only a few have documented their experience here.

Typical dealer doesn't know what they are doing, they keep fixing the wrong thing so the problem keep coming back, I just had this experience with the AC system on my SC430.

You just have to figure it out yourself what the real problem is and get it fix yourself, you just can't trust the incompetent dealer.

On my own LS430, there was a recall on the PCS computer itself, they replaced the computer under warranty and is been 50k miles and it still works flawlessly. I say your problem is cause by the computer, not the sensor itself.

Last edited by BNR34; 04-18-13 at 12:02 PM.
Old 04-18-13, 12:04 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by upndair767

Funny I think knkmoat answered your question before you asked it above^^^^

The dealer changed the sensor and adjusted it only fixed the problem temporary, you need the updated computer.

Originally Posted by knkmoat
Sorry, should have updated this long ago. We had the PCS/Cruise unavailable problems and have had it fixed successfully. There is a distance control computer in the dashboard that is mentioned in the TSIB mentioned in this thread. We were able to have our dealer diagnose and confirm this computer to be the problem. Denso had updated the part years ago and although the part number is the same the old original part has a red label and the updated part has a blue label. After the distance control computer is replaced another operation called radar axis beam adjustment must be performed. There is a TSIB for the axis beam adjustment as well. The axis beam adjustment alone will sometimes fix the PCS warning and operation however without replacing the distance control computer the fix is temporary at best. With the updated control computer and the proper axis beam adjustment the radar cruise works better than ever. Under snow/icing conditions the grill "window" will ice over and the PCS unavailable warning will come on until thawed or de-iced and if you have selected "snow" on your ECT switch you will get the cruise unavailable warning. Otherwise it has worked perfectly for some time now!
Old 06-05-13, 03:00 PM
gupta643
Driver School Candidate

Anyone know where I can access TSB's I have a 2004 with some issues in the laser cruise. Codes say alignment fault.
Old 07-18-13, 11:05 AM
Ivan22
Driver School Candidate

Anybody try this:

Originally Posted by roby63
Hi all,
I stopped by the Lexus dealer , in fact there is a PSC switch (not so easy to reach...) just above the accelerator pedal to activate the pre crash safey system. Near this switch there is another key to turn off the ability to vary the ride height of the vehicle.. Lexus staff was quick and friendly, and now no more yellow lights on the dashboard.

Roberto
Old 05-02-15, 06:58 AM
arabyk
Driver School Candidate

Default Pcs & vcs

My car is 2008 LS460 some times become heavey then the lights of PCD and check engine its all light
I make all the services that i can do
The lexus service in al futaim motors could't find what is the problem

What shull i do

Last edited by arabyk; 05-02-15 at 07:01 AM.
Old 03-17-20, 08:00 AM
98SNAKETR
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to bump such an old thread, but I've recently had the same problem

Not with a Lexus, but my 2016 Sienna minivan

A little history on this....

Picked it up last May and soon noticed that the PCS would kick in and slam on the brakes randomly while driving over Railroad tracks (sometimes coming to a screching halt)

Never had a Check Engine Light or warning (other than the instant PCS "BRAKE!!" flash on the dash as it took place)

Contacted Toyota, but they told me to go pound sand since it was way out of warranty

So I made a bunch of dash cam videos of it happening and sent them all to the NHTSA cause it was clearly a safety issue (see playlist)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...rHPzM1rfM2Y9Gq

The very next day, Toyota Corporate called me up and told me to take it to my nearest dealer to have it inspected and repaired at no expense to me and they would provide a loaner until it was complete

We scheduled a day that worked for me and they flew out an entire inspection team of field techs and production engineers to get to the bottom of it

I reproduced the issue and they saw it happen multiple times back to back

In the end, they said the millimeter wave sensor was out of range and they recalibrated it, but admitted that the problem was still there and that I should just monitor it, but they mapped out the location and launched an investigation as to why it was happening at this particular set of rails.

Since then, it still happened, just not nearly as often (like 2 out of 10 times instead of 8 out of 10 times prior to the "fix")

Anyways, a couple weeks ago I got a warning on the dash (Check PCS System)

Ran TechStream and came up with 3 DTC's (P1572, B2090 and C1A11)

Tried clearing them, but the B2090 and C1A11 codes would not clear no matter how many times I tried.

The P1572 cleared fine, but would come back after a drive.

Checked wiring to the millimeter wave sensor and all looked good.

Then I left it unplugged and it immediately threw a couple of lost communcation codes, so at least I know it's functioning.

At this point, I'm hoping it's just a simple calibration that's needed and not the sensor or ECU cause that $#!t ain't cheap

On a sidenote, would it be worth trying a zero point calibration?

I've done it before on older vehicles, but not on anything this new

Old 03-19-20, 10:27 PM
98SNAKETR
Driver

OK, so after a month of mucking around with this thing, I actually stumbled upon a Russian repair manual for 2006 Lexus IS and GS models that stated how to adjust the radar axis beam

It was super simple, so I gave it a shot on my SIenna and IT WORKED!!

Here's a short video I made:

The warning is gone and everything seems to be working as normal
Old 03-20-20, 09:37 PM
98SNAKETR
Driver

Confirmed all codes Cwere cleared earlier today, went through several drive cycles and all is good
ConfirmConeCC

onfirmed all codes were cleared earlier today, went through several drive cycles and all is goodonfirmed all codes were cleared earlier today, went through several drive cycles and all is goodd all codes were cleared earlier today, wentCon

Confirmed all codes were cleared earlier today.

Multiple drive cycles and all is good

Old 05-07-20, 10:26 PM
GS4600
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexuscrazy
Did you try dis-connecting the negative cable or pulling the fuse for 5 mins?
can you tell me where is the fuse exactly
i have Gs460 2009