LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Help! Pcs Check System Cruise Check System Errors!

Old 09-20-09, 09:41 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Check PCS System - Photos

Here are some photos of what I think needs to be replaced. Correct? The sensor in front of the radiator?
Attached Thumbnails Help!  Pcs Check System Cruise Check System Errors!-pcs-sensor.jpg  
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
Amarasinghe1990 (07-16-23)
Old 09-20-09, 06:00 PM
scubadogg
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats the senor, the problem is in the control unit. See post #10
Old 09-21-09, 06:27 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Can you post a pic of the ECU or describe the location of it?

Also, can someone post the TSB or email it to me?

Last edited by DDLexus; 09-21-09 at 07:33 AM. Reason: added question
Old 09-22-09, 03:23 AM
scubadogg
Driver School Candidate

The TSB is available at the Toyota Information System (TIS), online. Lots of great info there.
Old 09-24-09, 01:09 PM
DDLexus
Racer

Originally Posted by BNR34
The Dynamic Radar cruise ECU part # is 88240-50151.

MSRP on the ECU is $726.65, discount price from lexuspartsworld.com is $566.79.
Checked the referenced website and the price is $622.54 (+ $43.58 shipping)
Prices going up?
Old 09-25-09, 12:15 PM
DDLexus
Racer

Visited my local dealer today and they confirmed the problem on my 2005. Service advisor gave me a rough estimate of $1,100 to purchase part and repair it. Said the part only was nearly $800 and they do not discount their parts I also found the TSB online at another website for FREE. I printed that out and brought it with me to the dealer.

I called Lexus corporate and filed a customer satisfaction report. Should hear back within 2 business days to learn IF Lexus Corporate can help me.

I also found it interesting that they (800-25-LEXUS) saw my Toyota/Lexus car ownership history. They pointed out that I've owned 5 Lexus and 1 Toyota cars in the last 8 years. Hope they factor that into their consideration.
Old 10-14-09, 10:24 AM
DDLexus
Racer

update: Lexus corporate denied my initial request for assistance in covering this "outside of warranty" repair. I would not accept a simple. "we talked with your dealer and that car is outside of warranty and therefore the repair will need to be done at the owners expense". After telling my story and convincing Lexus corporate this was a "safety issue" similar to the floormat issue Toyota/Lexus has focused on, they agreed to cover 25% of the total bill. Nice gesture and i'll proceed with getting my local dealer to fix this problem.

I also told them that Denso, the manufacturer of the faulty ECU, has re-engineered the part due to a poor unreliable design. If there was a faulty design on an airbag, Lexus would certainly take notice. Since the PCS system does provide additional safety (e.g. seatbelt pre-tensioning and brake assist) this system should be covered long after a factory warranty.
The following users liked this post:
SupraLuver (10-05-22)
Old 10-15-09, 05:12 AM
scubadogg
Driver School Candidate

I got the same "deal"! Getting mine fixed this Monday. Cant belive all the BS they put me through. I had the same story as you
Old 10-20-09, 05:08 PM
scubadogg
Driver School Candidate

Just got my baby back! No more Red Warning Light.....I hated that more than having the PCS error...hehe Lexus paid 25% of the repair.... it did that the dealer a day and a half, they told me they had a problem getting the thing programmed.....whatever I think they just started to late and ran out of time.
Old 10-20-09, 05:18 PM
DDLexus
Racer

Default 2005 LS430 UL PCS fixed

Picked mine up from the Lexus dealer too! Dropped it off Monday morning, drove a 2010 RX as a loaner and picked it up the next day. Lexus also covered 25% of the repair cost. As a bonus, I also used a 10% off coupon that came in the mail for any service at the dealer. My total bill was around $650.
Old 03-15-10, 01:03 PM
batais
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good day all:
i have same proplem for the PCS system.i need your help to explain to me what i have to chang the exact part and the location for it.(if it is with pic it will be better) to remove this red sign regarding this issu.also,is this alarm related to the cruise system alarm?

thank you for all.
Old 03-16-10, 06:57 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Originally Posted by batais
good day all:
i have same proplem for the PCS system.i need your help to explain to me what i have to chang the exact part and the location for it.(if it is with pic it will be better) to remove this red sign regarding this issu.also,is this alarm related to the cruise system alarm?

thank you for all.
There is a Technical Service Information Bulletin (Nov 9, 2006) that lists the proceedure for this repair. It appears to be a common problem and Lexus has provided the information for dealers to replace this part using the EL012-06 TSB guide.

"Some 2005 – 2006 model year LS 430 owners may experience a condition where the dynamic radar cruise control is inoperative, with “Check PCS” called out on the multi-information display. Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) B2056 and P1572 may also be stored. An updated cruise control computer has been made available to correct this issue."
Attached Thumbnails Help!  Pcs Check System Cruise Check System Errors!-lexus_ecu.gif  
Old 03-17-10, 02:37 AM
batais
Driver School Candidate

thank DD Lexus for this info so,if i Chang this ECU in cruise control unit this problem will be solve?and how much is this ECU approximately?where can i get this Technical Service Information Bulletin?

thank you for helping me.
Old 03-17-10, 06:32 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Originally Posted by batais
thank DD Lexus for this info so,if i Chang this ECU in cruise control unit this problem will be solve?and how much is this ECU approximately?where can i get this Technical Service Information Bulletin?

thank you for helping me.
Use the PM feature to send me a message with your email. I'll gladly provide you with the TSB. I took my car to the Lexus dealer with this document in hand. They verified that was the problem and gave me an estimate. I think the part was around $800 USD. They wanted to charge me 2 hours labor on top of that.
Old 03-28-10, 06:58 AM
js0873
Driver School Candidate

Wow. I finally found a thread that seems to deal with the same problem I've always had on my 2004 LS430. In fact, I've just had my car in the dealership for 2 days and they say they can't do much about it since they can't recreate the problem (as if they could normally recreate a cruise control problem at the dealership). Icalled Lexus Customer Care about it 3 days ago and they’re supposed to see what they can do, but they also said it may be tough to do anything if the problem can’t be recreated. I'll give you a quick history but my concern with reading the information in the thread is that my car is a 2004 and the TSB seems to deal with 2005-2006 from what someone said above (I don't have a subscription to the TIS so I couldn't read it myself).

Here's the history:

I have always gotten an intermittent "PCS Not Available" message when using cruise control since I got the certified car in 2007. This makes using radar cruise control totally impractical, since it will unexpectedly turn itself off when this happens, and it happens a lot. It’s gotten to the point that I simply use normal cruise control without radar control, but even doing this the message will appear with the warning ding, which really bothers me, especially since I'm not even using the radar portion at all. On my last trip about a week ago I put the car in normal cruise control for about 200 miles and the message “PCS Not Available” appeared at least 10 times, usually about every 10 minutes or so, sometimes less. On the way back home I paid closer attention, and it happened about 40 miles into using normal cruise control, then about 40 miles later, and then never came again (this was the least I’ve ever seen the message appear). In any case, “PCS Not Available” always appears at some point when using cruise control. I’ve never gone any extended period with using cruise control without getting the message. And I’m curious why it appears if I’m not even using radar controlled cruise.

Back in 2007 we brought the car into the dealership for this problem and they held it for 2 days. I think they might have recalibrated the system at the time but that never did really improve anything. I've basically just lived with the problem and simply don't use cruise control that much (actually my wife drives the car most and she rarely uses it), but I really want this fixed. My car is still under certification warranty until the summer so if the TSB applies they should repair the car to me at no cost in my opinion.

Does the TSB only deal with 2005-2006? It sounds like my exact problem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help! Pcs Check System Cruise Check System Errors!