LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Can the Laser Adaptive Cruise Control Be Disabled?

Old 08-02-08, 07:55 PM
orthrwi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can the Laser Adaptive Cruise Control Be Disabled?

I have a 2001 LS430 UL with a broken sensor window, and can only get the fixed speed cruise to work, and then only if I turn the cruise on and shut off the "radar ready" before I put the car in motion.

Does anyone know if it is possible to bypass/disable the laser cruise or wire the system so you can activate the fixed speed cruise when you are in motion.

One would assume that it would be easy to remember to turn it on before putting the car in gear, but I've had too many occasions to count when I've forgotten and am unable to stop to engage the cruise.

Thank you for your response.
Old 08-04-08, 06:41 AM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I think what you are asking, yes. When you are driving, turn on the cruise control. It will probably say something about the radar. Before setting it, push the cruise control lever forward and hold it for a few seconds. The radar will go off. Then just push down to set your speed.
Old 08-04-08, 10:13 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

orthrwi, I don't know if my 05' UL is set up differently then your 01'. But my radar can be turn off while the car is in motion like Boomer01 described above.

Something I realized and not sure if it is related to your issue. Once I engaged the radar cruise already, if I just cancel the cruise control, I can't disable the radar function until I turn the cruise control completely off. Once I turn it on and off, I can then disable the radar. All these while the car in motion.

Last edited by BNR34; 08-04-08 at 10:18 AM.
Old 08-04-08, 08:38 PM
orthrwi
Driver School Candidate

Default Clarification on Status of Cruise Control

Because the laser cruise receiver window is broken, when you turn the cruise on after you are in motion, you get an immediate error message and it locks out the entire cruise system. That is apparently why you have to go through turning on the cruise and turning off the radar before you put the car in motion. T

I thought maybe there was a way to program the electronic control unit or computer to ignore the fact that I have radar cruise and that it is broken.

Sorry, that I didn't make the problem more clear to persons that may be reading my original post.

Thank you for your consideration.
Old 11-20-09, 04:52 AM
pizitz70
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2001 LS430 UL - My Laser Cruise Story

Hi guys. I've been reading this tread about bypassing a bad laser cruise sensor. My cruise gave me the same symptoms recently (Check Cruise System error). I took it to my guy and he connected his Toyota/Lexus ITIS diag laptop. The system said 'bad laser sensor'. So we walked to the front of the car and he showed me the sensor. Sure enough, the lens had a nice hole right through it (see photo).

I came home and priced the replacement part and like others, finding it to be a very expensive item. The lowest I found was a used one on eBay for $400. I'll keep looking around, but if anyone has one to sell for less than $400, send me a message sometime.

I tested the laser bypass procedure and I can confirm--the 2001 does not allow you to bypass the laser while in motion. You have to be in Park for it to successfully switch to manual cruise. From reading, it sounds like more recent models does allow you bypass while in motion, but not the 2001. Kind of a pain, but I only really use cruise when on trips, so I think I can remember to do this on a trip before hitting the highway.
Attached Thumbnails Can the Laser Adaptive Cruise Control Be Disabled?-01-ls430-laser-cruise.jpg  
Old 11-20-09, 08:09 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Last edited by BNR34; 11-20-09 at 11:07 AM.
Old 11-20-09, 09:18 AM
ejthomp
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the 2004 with the exact same problem.

If your laser/radar adaptive cruise is not working, you can't switch over to normal cruise unless you do it BEFORE heading down the road. Once the error message comes up on the dash, you can't turn the normal cruise on until you reset the system by stopping, and restarting the car.

I just got back from the stealership and paid $120 to confirm nothing but a new sensor will correct the problem. If the sensor is disconnected completely, the normal cruise won't work either.

Technician said I have to replace the part or live with it....

Of course the technician was only reading the factory manual so what does he know? Maybe someone knows better?
Old 11-20-09, 09:25 AM
ejthomp
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by BNR34
.........Once I engaged the radar cruise already, if I just cancel the cruise control, I can't disable the radar function until I turn the cruise control completely off. Once I turn it on and off, I can then disable the radar. All these while the car in motion.......
This is interesting. With my radar cruise malfunctioning the error message turns on immediately if I am going highway speed, but from a cold start, the error message comes on when I speed up...maybe 30 mph.... I guess this means I can probably just slow way down and turn off the radar function... I'll try that today.

Probably not a good idea to slow down to 20 mph on the freeway just to be able to turn on my cruise control though!
Old 11-21-09, 06:23 PM
ejthomp
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ejthomp
... I'll try that today......
No luck. Once the error message comes up, the only way to turn the radar cruise off is to turn off the ignition and reset it, then turn it off BEFORE going more than 30 mph.
Old 11-21-09, 10:16 PM
jcord51
Driver School Candidate

Here is a simple question for you. Where is the location of the laser cruise sensor on the car? At first I thought that it was behind the front grill's Lexus emblem. Then I was told that it is located within the passenger's side of the front bumper. I saw a lens at that location but there seems to be nothing physically wrong with it. I even cleaned it and still get the Cruise Control warning. The only way to get the cruise to work is to engage it while standing and disengaging the radar. The other day I forgot to pre-engage the cruise and had to pull over to the service area. When I was at the dealership they stated one other location that was addressed on the repair screen.
Old 11-22-09, 11:21 AM
ejthomp
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jcord51
.......Where is the location of the laser cruise sensor on the car? ........ Then I was told that it is located within the passenger's side of the front bumper. I saw a lens at that location but there seems to be nothing physically wrong with it...........
That lens down on the front bumper is it. Mine doesn't seem to have anything wrong with it either. No cracks, it's clean, etc... The Lexus tech tested it (I really don't know what he did to test it) and said it was bad. They wanted $1500 to replace it....
Old 11-24-09, 10:41 AM
pizitz70
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I just made our Thanksgiving trip from Florida to Alabama and used the manual override trick to enable me to use cruise on the Interstate. With mine being an '01, you have to have the car in Park and do the override sequence, I forgot to do that a couple of times at rest stops and had to pull back off the highway, put the car in Park, then procede. Yes, that was a pain, but at least I could use cruise. I only use it on the highway on trips, which is a few times a year. I never use it in my daily commute.

I'm still looking for the laser sensor replacement part (at a resonable price). So if anyone knows anyone, give me a shout. I've read where even if I unplug the broken laser sensor, even manual cruise will not work.
Old 01-15-10, 06:32 PM
pwdeshazo
Driver School Candidate

I repaired my Laser Cruise Lens myself by carefully removing the rest of the broken glass with a needle nose pliers then siliconeing a piece of Plexiglas over the opening. Worked great!
Old 01-15-10, 08:18 PM
Ay-nako
Stop the Copy!

Received 111 Likes on 52 Posts

wow, that's crazy i cant believe you repaired your own RC!
Old 05-04-10, 01:06 PM
salahbri
Driver School Candidate

hi
my proplem is same is the devise brok.
i search reblase and i found one put in defrent part #.
in my car is 88210-50030
and what i found 88210-50020
the 2 devise are exactly same put the part # is def.
please advise me what to do?
my care ls430 2001 f.ultra
thanks alot

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can the Laser Adaptive Cruise Control Be Disabled?