LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

So you guys really dont like 22's on an LS?

Old 07-30-08, 04:52 PM
DanozLS430
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Those 22"s looks rather large for your car but it may be the style in your area which everyone is doing. Pimpin, spinning, chroming etc.... The large chrome style rims, chrome grill, and chrome side pillars all match the look you probably are looking for. How's the ride comfort on those 22's? The 22" rims look kind of fragile sitting so close to the ground. One pothole misfortune and back goes on the stockies until repair if you have them. The main thing is that you yourself love the looks is all that matters. The rim size is not my style though but overall design looks pretty good.

DanozLS430....

Last edited by DanozLS430; 07-30-08 at 08:10 PM.
Old 07-30-08, 05:42 PM
jgc
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No bigger than 20s on a 430 for me.
Old 07-30-08, 05:55 PM
So Philly1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lemme say this first of all thus far i havent met anyone that hasnt liked my car so i am grateful to be exposed to so many different opinions. And just like someone said before in different areas the look is different. And Philly is no different.

Originally Posted by I6turbo
I can only speak for myself, but I don't think anyone was trying to be personally insulting. When terms like ghetto or crack dealer were used, it was to convey an idea of the look as it appeared to us -- not to personally insult the vehicle owner. Kind of like if I install a gun rack in my rear window and asked "how you like mine now?" If someone said, "Looks redneck" I can take it as a personal insult if I want, but they're just words to portray the image that the modification evokes in the minds of those from whom I asked opinions.

Somewhat related to this type of thread, I also feel a strange "responsibility" to call BS on some things that I see on boards like this one. Such as when people install crazy offset 24" wheels and $99.95 tires and claim that the car rides, handles, stops, goes, sounds, just as quiet, smooth, refined, etc as it did when stock. That is simply BS, and this site is not for the purpose of providing mis-information and circle jerks. It is, among other things, for the purpose of providing reliable information to people who are looking for facts and solid advice. If someone wants to make a wild mod to their car, then that's fine, but don't make bogus claims about those mods that others might take as truth. If BS claims are allowed to go un-checked, the site will become worthless as a source of reliable info. Not that I'm the police here or anything, but once in a while I can't NOT speak up.
And as for this post....Sounds like the most intelligent thing i've heard in a while
Old 07-30-08, 09:20 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To the original poster, I give you a lot of respect for asking for opinions, and not taking offense when the responses have been less than favourable.

My personal opinions / thoughts on cars and 22" wheels is this:

If you can't bolt on a set of STAGGERED 22' wheels with at least a 285 rear tire and NO MODS, then the car isn't really meant to have 22's, and your 'shoehorning' them on.

The 7series BMW became the poster-car for 22" wheels on vehicles, but take note: every car is not running a 22x11" wheel and 295/25-22 tire with a 2.5" drop like a 7series. So it really defeats the point, since its not the same level of execution. Its great to have the diameter, but if the width, tire size and lowering are not there, then its sort of like half-stepping.

Think about this the next time you hear a guy bragging about sittin on 22's, or dub dueces or whatever, and the rear tire is 235/30-22!

Please do not take offsense to this, I noticed that you asking questions to get more info on modding, so I'm just sharing my opinion personally and professionally.

If it were my LS (and your is really nice by the way), I'd have 21" wheels, lowering and a 295/25-21 rear tire on there. That will make your car look as impressive from behind and 3/4 angles as it does from the sides.

As for lowering the streets of Philly are no worse the the streets of Metro NYC and I never have any problems (all of my cars have been lowered). With the propler spec the wheel will be flush with the fender but still inside the fender.

Last edited by D2-AUTOSPORT; 07-30-08 at 09:25 PM.
Old 07-31-08, 10:40 AM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

d2 thanks for the good info.

I never really thought of the rear "wide tire bulldog" look. But your right, the wider tire does look better when viewing from the back.

I've always been a supporter of the taller, narrower option (vs the shorter, wider option) if I had to choose between the two.

Originally Posted by D2-AUTOSPORT
To the original poster, I give you a lot of respect for asking for opinions, and not taking offense when the responses have been less than favourable.

My personal opinions / thoughts on cars and 22" wheels is this:

If you can't bolt on a set of STAGGERED 22' wheels with at least a 285 rear tire and NO MODS, then the car isn't really meant to have 22's, and your 'shoehorning' them on.

The 7series BMW became the poster-car for 22" wheels on vehicles, but take note: every car is not running a 22x11" wheel and 295/25-22 tire with a 2.5" drop like a 7series. So it really defeats the point, since its not the same level of execution. Its great to have the diameter, but if the width, tire size and lowering are not there, then its sort of like half-stepping.

Think about this the next time you hear a guy bragging about sittin on 22's, or dub dueces or whatever, and the rear tire is 235/30-22!

Please do not take offsense to this, I noticed that you asking questions to get more info on modding, so I'm just sharing my opinion personally and professionally.

If it were my LS (and your is really nice by the way), I'd have 21" wheels, lowering and a 295/25-21 rear tire on there. That will make your car look as impressive from behind and 3/4 angles as it does from the sides.

As for lowering the streets of Philly are no worse the the streets of Metro NYC and I never have any problems (all of my cars have been lowered). With the propler spec the wheel will be flush with the fender but still inside the fender.
Old 08-04-08, 07:38 AM
sOsoLiD_IS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not diggin it
Old 08-04-08, 09:15 PM
Stretchp2
Rookie

Default Personal Prefrence do what u do!

I'm a fan of big rims don't get me wrong, but thats the popular thing right now. Think of how sick she'll look if you go 20inch deep dish and slam it. Then you look tuned and fly at the same time. Cause at this point you fresh outta exterior options. Any chance of making it move a lil quicker is gone too, due to your wheel size bro.

But at the same it does look nice!
Old 08-07-08, 01:55 PM
SH212
Dances with goats

wow i thought i smelt a close coming on lol

my opinion i wouldnt go with 22's just not my style but wth if you like it DO IT!!!
Old 08-10-08, 02:27 PM
So Philly1
Lexus Test Driver

Just a few new pics....

Old 08-10-08, 07:43 PM
Bdub215
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by So Philly1
Just a few new pics....

Surprised i havent seen this car around town. those rims are hard to miss. nice LS
Old 08-11-08, 12:59 PM
So Philly1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bdub215
Surprised i havent seen this car around town. those rims are hard to miss. nice LS

I'm out all the time, your bound ta see me one day!