LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

04 LS430 sports vs regular susp

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-08, 10:04 AM
luxcar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 LS430 sports vs regular susp

How do you compare the ride quality between Sports vs regular vesions (i.e ot ultra) vs ultra of 04 LS430.

Is the difference significant?
Old 06-10-08, 10:19 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Depends on how sensitive you are to the ride of a car, feeling of a suspension is very subjective. I am very sensitive and the differences is very significant to me.

To sum it up in a nut shell:

Regular: VERY soft, feels like floating, you feel nothing from the road, total isolation. Some people do get motion sickness because it is overly soft. Feels like a old school Cadillac.

Sport: ALMOST sports car like, you feel all the bumps on the road, but in a soft way. Not like a hardcore sports car, but much firmer then the regular suspension, no floating at all. Very much like a BMW with stock sport suspension.

Ultra's air suspension: Right in between regular and sport. It is soft but don't float, it is firm but you don't feel the bump much. It is my favorite and it is what I got.

Last edited by BNR34; 06-10-08 at 10:23 AM.
Old 06-10-08, 10:34 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

I went a little more indepth here with my opinion of the 3 suspensions:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=19

Or read this whole thread, a few people discussed their own opinions on the 3 suspensions.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=351166
Old 06-10-08, 10:57 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I agree that suspension impressions are subjective, but that said, I would NOT compare a standard LS suspension to an old-school Cadillac. Not even remotely. And neither have any of the magazine reviews I've seen, FWIW. But the bottom line is that anyone contemplating an LS should DEFINITELY drive one of each type (std, sport, UL) and see what they think. It's relatively easy to find whatever LS you want, suspension wise. Personally, I love the way the Sport feels, but I've seen posts from people who bought the sport and hated it compared to the standard. <shrug>
Old 06-10-08, 11:17 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I6turbo
I agree that suspension impressions are subjective,
totally subjective.

but that said, I would NOT compare a standard LS suspension to an old-school Cadillac. Not even remotely. And neither have any of the magazine reviews I've seen, FWIW.
yeah I guess saying it feels like an old-school Cadillac is a little harsh, I just want to say it float like a boat.

But the bottom line is that anyone contemplating an LS should DEFINITELY drive one of each type (std, sport, UL) and see what they think. It's relatively easy to find whatever LS you want, suspension wise. Personally, I love the way the Sport feels, but I've seen posts from people who bought the sport and hated it compared to the standard. <shrug>
Agreed 100%.
Old 06-10-08, 11:31 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have Ultra, but if I would choose between Regular or sport, I would go with sport.
Regular just too soft for me.
well, If I got anything other than UL, I would change to coilover setup anyway, so stock suspension doesn't really matter.
Old 06-10-08, 01:50 PM
luxcar
Driver School Candidate

Thanks,
I'll probably stick with the regular one as I frequently go on long trips and ride quality is my top priority.
I would love to have a UL but I dont want a $1000 strut failing.
Old 06-11-08, 06:30 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by luxcar
Thanks,
I'll probably stick with the regular one as I frequently go on long trips and ride quality is my top priority.
I still recommend that you drive both. By some judgements, the "ride quality" is much better on the Sport -- it just depends upon your definition of ride quality.

For example, I think the Mercury Grand Marquis has the most gawd-awful ride quality of any car I've ever had the misfortune to be given at the rental counter -- so bad in fact, that I now REFUSE to take one -- I'll take a sub compact instead if I have to. It rides very soft and some people would rate the "ride quality" as excellent. But, it actually makes me angry when I'm driving it, as weird as that may sound. A TOTAL POS car that I absolutely HATE (and I'm only renting it for a day or two). LOL I HATE that thing!

Last edited by I6turbo; 06-11-08 at 07:42 AM.
Old 06-11-08, 07:10 AM
luxcar
Driver School Candidate

I have driven grand marquis too and I agree that its awful.

I would love to drive all versions but used car dealers in Toronto only let you test drive if you agree to buy the car.
Old 06-11-08, 07:46 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by luxcar
I have driven grand marquis too and I agree that its awful.

I would love to drive all versions but used car dealers in Toronto only let you test drive if you agree to buy the car.
How absurd. It's not really a "test drive" then, is it? Just tell them you agree to buy it pending a satisfactory test drive. If they set silly rules, you have to play your game as needed.
Old 06-11-08, 09:59 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

I still recommend that you drive both. By some judgements, the "ride quality" is much better on the Sport -- it just depends upon your definition of ride quality.
I agreed 100%.

Everyone has different perferences, you can't listen to anyone's opinion of anything, you have to try it for yourself.
Old 06-11-08, 09:59 AM
luxcar
Driver School Candidate

I did that when I was buying my Q45. But they make you feel like you are stealing something from them if you walk away.

I moved from USA so its very strange to me. I don't know how you can negotiate the price if you have not driven the car. I think once the person likes the car in a test drive. Its far easy to sell.
Old 06-11-08, 10:22 AM
Randy B
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Here's what I wrote about it in another thread.

Originally Posted by Randy B
The car came with 18X7.5 chrome wheels. Having come out of a 2003 MB E500, I love the Euro Sport Suspension. The base LS430's were too spongy for me. I do like feedback though through the steering wheel. The ride is very smooth, yet I do feel through the wheel and not the seat the bumps and rocks you describe. This is suspension is as close I have found a Japanese luxury car to feel like a Euro car. After the air problems I had withe MB suspension, I will never own one of those systems again, by any manufacturer. The main reason I did not get an Ultra.

Randy B

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=326908

Randy B
Old 06-11-08, 10:32 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Hi Randy,

Care you talk about the problems you had with the MB air suspension on your E500?

Just want to know.

Thanks ahead
Old 06-11-08, 10:34 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

I have test driven both, you can definitely feel the difference.

Quick Reply: 04 LS430 sports vs regular susp