LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

DIY For Transmission Flush

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-14, 07:08 AM
writes123
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by gripau1
So the fill bolt is very similar to the old type of manual transmission or diff oil change?

That is fill the fluid from the fill hole until it comes out. Of course you need to drain the old fluid first.

If this is the case, its even easier than with the dip stick method as you can't easily overfill the tranny.
yes. that "style" you need to check the level @ a certain temperature though and obviously make sure the car is completely level. the temperature procedure can be found in a couple different threads involving the OBDII.
Old 03-25-14, 03:45 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

I understood that there is a drain plug, overflow plug, AND a fill plug (hidden behind a cover that can be removed by 2 bolts).

Here is a reference to GX470 https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...65k-miles.html
I know our transmission is different but I thought we have the same kind of transmission.

A761E transmission below. (Reference link)
Attached Thumbnails DIY For Transmission Flush-lexus1.jpg   DIY For Transmission Flush-lexus2.jpg   DIY For Transmission Flush-lexus3.jpg  

Last edited by BMW7_LS430; 03-25-14 at 04:29 PM.
Old 03-28-14, 11:28 PM
gripau1
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by BMW7_LS430
I understood that there is a drain plug, overflow plug, AND a fill plug (hidden behind a cover that can be removed by 2 bolts).

Here is a reference to GX470 https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...65k-miles.html
I know our transmission is different but I thought we have the same kind of transmission.

A761E transmission below. (Reference link)
Ok let me get this right.

Fig 1 is the cover for the fill plug
Fig 2 is the drain plug
Fig 3 is the fill plug
where is the overflow plug?
Old 03-29-14, 08:56 AM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by gripau1
Ok let me get this right.

Fig 1 is the cover for the fill plug
Fig 2 is the drain plug
Fig 3 is the fill plug
where is the overflow plug?
Overflow plug is Fig 2 on right (without arrow)
If you are going to open the overflow plug then you don't need to get to the filler plug. You can just use the overflow plug to add ATF. If you do this then the vehicle must be on level.

Filler plug is useful only if if you want to just measure drained ATF and add equal amount. If you get the car on ramps then it is not going to be on level and you can't use the overflow plug.
Old 03-29-14, 11:01 AM
KawiLex
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This thread was for the 3rd gen LS, not the 4th with the sealed transmission.. Anyway....

I just did the drain/fill on my 02 with some helpful suggestions from Toyo and it was so easy. Simply put the car up(ramps for me) and pull the plug on the tranny pan.. It gave me 3 quarts exactly. Then put the plug back in and replace the 3 quarts through the tranny dipstick.. Takes like 15 minutes once you get access to the underside of the car. I've read that they recommend you replace the bolt and washer from time to time.. I didn't do that because it seals very well... Maybe later.

Without this forum I'd be scared and BROKE...
Thanks Toyo..

EDIT: I have to add.. I have only replaced 3 quarts(Toyota T-IV) so far and the car already shifts MUCH SMOOTHER. I will do another 3 quarts in a hundred or 200 miles, and repeat that 3 or 4 times.. then follow the advice of doing it from then on out every 15K. My tranny oil was BLACK and watery.. Car has 150K.

Last edited by KawiLex; 03-29-14 at 11:05 AM.
Old 03-29-14, 11:58 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Sorry for the 04 - 06 guys busting out strong. It's a time thing. Tech said mine looked good. My first was at 105k and the second at 112k. I'll do it one more time in another 8k or so. Only about 2 quarts come out on a drain and refill. We also have a totally different fluid. Type IV Toyota is not compatible with World Standard. Type IV is not synthetic either.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 09-09-14 at 12:27 PM.
Old 03-30-14, 07:39 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Sorry for the 04 - 06 guys busting out strong. It's a time thing. Tech said mine looked good. My first was at 105k and the second at 112k. I'll do it one more time in another 8k or so. Only 1.5 quarts come out on a 1 hour drain. We also have a totally different fluid. Type IV Toyota is not compatible with World Standard. Type IV is not synthetic either.
Did you use WS ATF?
Old 09-09-14, 08:16 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by KawiLex
This thread was for the 3rd gen LS, not the 4th with the sealed transmission.. Anyway....

I just did the drain/fill on my 02 with some helpful suggestions from Toyo and it was so easy. Simply put the car up(ramps for me) and pull the plug on the tranny pan.. It gave me 3 quarts exactly. Then put the plug back in and replace the 3 quarts through the tranny dipstick.. Takes like 15 minutes once you get access to the underside of the car. I've read that they recommend you replace the bolt and washer from time to time.. I didn't do that because it seals very well... Maybe later.

Without this forum I'd be scared and BROKE...
Thanks Toyo..

EDIT: I have to add.. I have only replaced 3 quarts(Toyota T-IV) so far and the car already shifts MUCH SMOOTHER. I will do another 3 quarts in a hundred or 200 miles, and repeat that 3 or 4 times.. then follow the advice of doing it from then on out every 15K. My tranny oil was BLACK and watery.. Car has 150K.
Interesting, this sounds pretty easy over all. Pull plug, measure what comes out, replace via the dipstick with the same amount. Does not sound very difficult at all.

Is the plug just a pop out, or is it a screw ? is it hard to get out ?

Riddle me this....My car has 174K on it...never been done,still pretty smooth over all but, not as silky smooth as it was when it was 100K less....

Will this help or is this one of those things, "if it ain't broken don't fix it" ?

Truth be told if this will make my car shift smoother, I would be willing to give it a shot...
Old 09-09-14, 09:04 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

For those that do not have the WS tranny, this partial drain and refill routine has been in practice by the 1-2 LS guys with success. Key is replace what comes out precisely.
Old 09-09-14, 12:26 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by XJSFan
Did you use WS ATF?
Yes, the dealer used WS fluid. My dealer only charges $99 for a drain and refill.
Old 09-09-14, 02:01 PM
chunkyda
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, my local Toyota dealer quoted $200 for the drain and fill method, Lexus is a 2 hour drive away. He said one hour labor rate and 3 quarts of fluid at $15 per. I have no issues with my tranny but a few of these threads have been making me think that with 175k miles I might want to think about a fluid replacement on my 05.
Old 09-09-14, 03:54 PM
KawiLex
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by DavidinCT
Interesting, this sounds pretty easy over all. Pull plug, measure what comes out, replace via the dipstick with the same amount. Does not sound very difficult at all.

Is the plug just a pop out, or is it a screw ? is it hard to get out ?

Riddle me this....My car has 174K on it...never been done,still pretty smooth over all but, not as silky smooth as it was when it was 100K less....

Will this help or is this one of those things, "if it ain't broken don't fix it" ?

Truth be told if this will make my car shift smoother, I would be willing to give it a shot...
David,
I recommend you set aside an hour this weekend to go buy the tranny fluid from carquest(where I bought) or whomever has the lexus tranny fluid and swap 3 quarts out. The swap is as fast as an oil change. Make sure you have a funnel with a small spout and don't put the tranny fluid in the oil crank case on accident! hahaha

Yes, you should do this now at 174K.. Replace another 3 quarts in about 500 - 1000 miles, then 1000 miles later, then every 10-15K.

I wouldn't worry about the tranny filter unless you're super **** and ok with breaking the seal on the pan, which I'm not.

**EDIT: plug is removed exactly like an oil change. Clean any shavings from the plug as it's magnetized. You will likely have little to no shavings.
Old 09-09-14, 04:24 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by chunkyda
Wow, my local Toyota dealer quoted $200 for the drain and fill method, Lexus is a 2 hour drive away. He said one hour labor rate and 3 quarts of fluid at $15 per. I have no issues with my tranny but a few of these threads have been making me think that with 175k miles I might want to think about a fluid replacement on my 05.
I would start the process as you have a lot of miles on the original fluid. $200 is steep though. Maybe check with independent shops that have good ratings. Try searching on yelp.com
Old 09-09-14, 04:34 PM
KawiLex
Pit Crew

Forgot to mention when you perform this simple task(you could even tell an able bodied person what to do) you should catch the oil in a container that you'v already marked with 1 quart lines all the way up to 3 or 4 quarts. Mine always stops exactly at 3 though during the drain.
These quarts are $6 a piece.. My total cost for a 20 min drain fill is $18...
Old 09-15-14, 05:46 PM
Mtdave2
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, I'll never pay to have this done again.

Quick Reply: DIY For Transmission Flush