LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

aftermarket radio in ls430?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-08, 06:29 PM
icedowt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aftermarket radio in ls430?

ls430 without nav. im trying to find out if i can put a pioneer double din with nav in it. i looked all over and i cant find anything dash kits wiring harnesses. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks
Old 03-16-08, 06:58 AM
motohide
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Here is a kit I got in Japan... (I have a spare too)

The kit is a Beat Sonic and it's designed to fit into Non-Navigation LS430 04-06 models. (01-03) is basically the same but with a different wire adapter since the in-dash radio sockets are different.

I have a 04-06 kit coming from Japan in one week, if you are interested please email me. moto@club4ag.com

I already have one in my 04 LS430 and following is the photos from it.
It comes with the face trim, that matches the OEM gray center part in color and brackets to bolt into the location left by the OEM tape and CD changer.
Also the harness adapter kit allows you to plug in your head unit directly into the Lexus amplifiers so you don't need to run external amp or speaker wire. Because of Lexus amplifiers two inline inputs and rest being multiplex you will lose the ability to use your steering control and also the ability to fade front and back. However all the rest of the functions will work including left/right balance and DSP functions of the aftermarket radio.
It also comes with an antenna cable adapter to reach your trunk as Lexus LS430 has the OEM tuner in the rear trunk and there is no antenna plug at the dash
And the kit has OEM socket to mate to the glass antenna plug that can be uncoupled from the OEm tuner.
Basically this kit saved me a full day of wiring, as everything is basically plug and play with aftermarket radio and this kit was thought out really well.
In fact for the Audio portion, I didn't have to cut a single wire from the OEM harness!
I just had to wire the following to the Beat-Sonic adapter to the aftermarket radio...then it plugs right into the factory socket.

- Ignition Power
- Battery Constant
- Ground
- Remote Amp
- Front Signal Out (Left and Right) (takes speaker outputs from aftermarket radio)
- Illumination (if you have a screen and needs DIMMER to darken it for night)
- Antenna adapter cable to trunk OEM tuner harness and supplied with LEXUS coupler too!)
That's ALL!!! (for audio part anyway)
Also love the OEM dash color meticulously matched on the in-dash bezel.

For aftermarket "navigation" system install, you also need to wire the following:
- aftermarket GPS antenna
- parking brake line (usually just grounded if by-passed in some aftermarket models)
- reverse gear lamp wire (if you also add Pioneer back-up camera).
These wires need to be tapped into the OEM harness at various points as factory radio does not have them pinned at the radio socket.
- Speed sensor signal is right at the dash radio socket as OEM radio uses the same signal for dynamic volume control.
- Reverse Gear lamp in the trunk lid is a trouble-free location to tap the signal without interfering with Lexus body lamp ECU.

The Beat-Sonic Adapter and Faceplate costs rather hefty money at $400 but with the adapter box to tie in the OEM amplifier and a very well made dash face trim and brackets, I like it.
You can use this with Mark Levinson equipped car or standard audio as the 20pin connector is the same to run either systems.

http://club4ag.com/motols430.htm

Some Photos of install and my car... click link above...

Last edited by motohide; 03-16-08 at 08:16 AM.
Old 03-16-08, 12:28 PM
icedowt

thanks so much for the info ill be looking more into that pretty soon
Old 03-17-08, 11:08 AM
beangrower
Pole Position

Originally Posted by motohide

nice install. where'd u mount your back up cam? got any pics? interested in ur setup. i got a alpine w205 w/ a license plate backup cam. do you know if there is a way to wire up a stock back up camera for a cleaner look?
Old 03-17-08, 06:08 PM
motohide
Pole Position

Originally Posted by beangrower
nice install. where'd u mount your back up cam? got any pics? interested in ur setup. i got a alpine w205 w/ a license plate backup cam. do you know if there is a way to wire up a stock back up camera for a cleaner look?
The back-up camera is installed in the factory location slightly to the right and above the license plate, peeking out from the trunk garnish plate. The Pioneer ND-BC2 camera was small enough to poke out from the factory hole. ND-BC1, the old style would probably be too big bit can be surface mounted in the same location if you don't mind it being more visible from the rear of the car.

The stock Toyota camera needs a brain box, and does not run on standard signal from the box to the OEM Navigation system... So I am assuming it is NOT impossible but is quite a bit of work and research of it's circuits, and not to mention the cost of all the OEM equipment... You'd have to figure out which is the correct video signal (if it's a standard NTSC analog at all!) and how to trigger it on and off...

Also worth mentioning is that the Pioneer camera covers much wider angle than the OEM one (compared and as installed in my Sienna minivan)...and as such, you get a bigger view of the rear of the car, even if the image is somewhat a fish-eye effect...

On my LS430, from the factory position, using the Pioneer BC2 I can see the edge of the bumper and from corner to corner... Much more helpful to approach an object which is the intent of a back up camera for most people, rather than to watch a trailer being towed (in a Lexus anyway)...
Old 03-19-08, 05:13 PM
scottmcc
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MOTOHIDE that is sweet !!!!!
Old 03-19-08, 07:15 PM
KINGLS430
Pole Position

Motohide how do you know all this stuff about lexus's? just curious.
Old 03-20-08, 03:17 AM
motohide
Pole Position

Smile

Originally Posted by KINGLS430
Motohide how do you know all this stuff about lexus's? just curious.

Lots of studying on my own, ability to read Japanese language (well "being" a native Japanese...), hobby working with Toyota cars from 1986, and lots of friends inside Toyota both at Japan and USA, and living in Torrance, CA.
Mostly though because of passion for all Toyota.
If you look at my web page...and all that I did with an old AE86 Corolla and many other Toyota cars....you can probably tell, I'm a nutcase.

LOL!
Old 03-20-08, 11:41 PM
gen2c
Driver School Candidate

Default carpet plastics

where did you get the plastic cover for your carpets moto?
Old 03-21-08, 05:20 PM
motohide
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gen2c
where did you get the plastic cover for your carpets moto?
??? !!!!
Man you noticed THAT?? LOL!!!

You can get it at any car dealership...part of prepping cars for delivery... I think.
I figuered I won't take it off till I'm all done with work and installations... I just got this car like 2 weeks ago.
Old 04-14-10, 10:50 AM
mmzbrwan
Driver School Candidate

Mr. motohide
what about the steering wheel? it will work or not?
I have ls430 Ultra and I want to instal a pioneer nav aftermarket radio. but i need the steering wheel working with it.

thanks..
Old 04-17-10, 08:05 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

do they make a kit with a Flat Trim, I would perfer that IMO..
Old 04-19-10, 07:47 PM
flynnjon
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2003 non-nav with Mark levinson, I orded the beat sonic adapter (SLA 23A for 2003) I had a professional installer hook it up. Everything worked but no sound. Beat sonic said it's because lexus/toyota changed the harness mid way through 2003 so it must be the SLA 24A (for the 04-06 LS), they sent it out and again no sound. They then told me they don't know what they have to talk with the beatsonic engineers in japan and get back to me. In the end they didn't no what the issue was, they figured it must only work with the non-mark levinson system. This all took over a month and still no double din installed. I have to ship them back both harnesses so they can credit me back.

I'm now going try the metra tyto-01, hope it works.
Old 04-19-10, 08:32 PM
IStoSC
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What are these rims? I want for my sc...
Old 07-27-10, 10:54 AM
LSDoc
Pit Crew

Moto,

You seem like you are the authority on these matters!

I have a 2001 LS430 and I would like to upgrade my sound system.
I have called a rep at VAIS Tech, and he stated that I can't use BOTH my iPod and XM in my present system, because of the (outdated) wiring. Without getting some system that doesn't look like a Levinson (i.e., not factory), is it possible to put a later model system into the dash and utilize the remainder of the system (amp, speakers, etc.); maybe even get navigation system, as well??? Would the cost be unreasonable?

Quick Reply: aftermarket radio in ls430?