LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Center console lid fix

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-12, 02:45 PM
cyclehead
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

I took my front armrest apart while installing MP3 player stuff. I thought these pics might help the next guy...

Front Armrest disassy -

Remove a/c vent
Name:  removearmrestacvent.jpg
Views: 13558
Size:  57.0 KB

Remove four bolts and one screw
Name:  fourboltsandonescrewLS430.jpg
Views: 13379
Size:  74.3 KB

Remove two bolts from the bottom of the armrest storage box
Name:  twocenterbucketscrews.jpg
Views: 13096
Size:  70.2 KB

Removed armrest assy
Name:  armrestremoved.jpg
Views: 13294
Size:  74.5 KB
The following 2 users liked this post by cyclehead:
BCT (06-15-18), LSGarry (04-30-18)
Old 01-08-12, 08:04 PM
austinite
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thanks!

Thank you. Much appreciated.
Old 01-10-12, 07:50 PM
Viper6
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Any chance locktite should be used when reassembling to prevent this from happening again? what do you think?

I plan to do mine this weekend... mine suffers from same thing!

This forum rocks!
The following users liked this post:
rmawyer (08-03-19)
Old 01-14-12, 05:15 AM
sigers98
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Viper6
Any chance locktite should be used when reassembling to prevent this from happening again? what do you think?

I plan to do mine this weekend... mine suffers from same thing!

This forum rocks!
makes sense to use it, since they have worked loose in the 1st place, seems likely they will again.
Old 04-23-12, 09:51 PM
Rehime
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Center Console

Thanks for the tread. Was very easy. finished in 30 min. I went to the dealership and they were charging me 990 to replace it.
Old 04-23-12, 09:56 PM
Rehime
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks big dog, Great fix. Props to Sigers98
Old 04-24-12, 07:12 AM
sigers98
Driver

Originally Posted by Rehime
Thanks for the tread. Was very easy. finished in 30 min. I went to the dealership and they were charging me 990 to replace it.
I dont know how they keep a straight face, stupid thing is, they could make more profit fixing the lid, than replacing, its not difficult, if they charged $300.00 to fix, i am sure they would get a lot of repair work. Well if this thread is anything to go by, they lost 10k worth of business, sorry Lexus.
NOT.

Last edited by sigers98; 04-24-12 at 06:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
VolumeToo (04-12-22)
Old 05-04-12, 04:26 PM
peteyx
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine had just 2 silver screws total holding the hinges. I couldn't see how to attach the other two even if I had them, there just isn't room. It worked, hopefully for quite a while.
Old 09-08-12, 09:15 AM
Chemtj
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am trying to get the box out to repair my lid and have some problems. Mainly, I cannot get the wires disconnected for the lighter and light. There is barely enough room to get my hand under the box from the back and cannot feel any way to get the pieces apart. Is there any trick I am missing? And of course, I lost one to the captive nuts and can't locate it.
Old 09-08-12, 11:06 AM
sigers98
Driver

Originally Posted by Chemtj
I am trying to get the box out to repair my lid and have some problems. Mainly, I cannot get the wires disconnected for the lighter and light. There is barely enough room to get my hand under the box from the back and cannot feel any way to get the pieces apart. Is there any trick I am missing? And of course, I lost one to the captive nuts and can't locate it.
it is pain, flash light in your mouth, press both sides of each connector, pull, the box should be loose, you should not have too much difficulty. sure you have all the bolts out from the bottom.
Old 09-09-12, 01:56 PM
Chemtj
Driver School Candidate

Finally got mine done. I learned one thing, DO NOT USE LOCKTIGHT on the screws. It will destroy the plastic the screws thread into. I learned this the hard way. Had everything back together and within a few seconds the lid was very loose. I pulled it apart again and the plastic posts the screws thread into came out in about 50 small pieces. The plastic just crumbled. I was able to jury rig it back together but I am not sure how long it will last. Anybody have a good Ecru lid they want to donate to me for passing on this info?
Old 09-10-12, 09:34 AM
sigers98
Driver

[QUOTE=Chemtj;7474113]Finally got mine done. I learned one thing, DO NOT USE LOCKTIGHT on the screws. It will destroy the plastic the screws thread into. I learned this the hard way. Had everything back together and within a few seconds the lid was very loose. I pulled it apart again and the plastic posts the screws thread into came out in about 50 small pieces. The plastic just crumbled. I was able to jury rig it back together but I am not sure how long it will last. Anybody have a good Ecru lid they want to donate to me for passing on this info?

i know someone mentioned lock tight, i did not use it when i did mine, but are you refereing to the 4 main bolts that were loose ?
Old 09-10-12, 10:48 AM
Chemtj
Driver School Candidate

Yes. The 4 screws that attach the hinge to the underside of the plastic lid. Mine were all loose as typical with others here. I thought I would be smart and use a drop of blue locktight so they would not come loose again. It nearly instantly destroyed the plastic. Then I read the directions on the locktight container (typical male, install first then read directions). It states "for use on metal parts only. Do not use on plastic". Expensive lesson. I will use lock washers on the new lid. Still looking for an Ecru lid. $225 new from Sewell. Hoping for a good one from scrap yard or maybe a member here. I don't have enough posts here to post in the classifieds yet. I just wanted to warn everyone here not to make my mistake and save everyone some money by doing so.
The following 2 users liked this post by Chemtj:
Michaelp99 (02-29-20), VolumeToo (04-12-22)
Old 09-10-12, 11:11 AM
sigers98
Driver

Yes. The 4 screws that attach the hinge to the underside of the plastic lid. Mine were all loose as typical with others here. I thought I would be smart and use a drop of blue locktight so they would not come loose again. It nearly instantly destroyed the plastic. Then I read the directions on the locktight container (typical male, install first then read directions). It states "for use on metal parts only. Do not use on plastic". Expensive lesson. I will use lock washers on the new lid. Still looking for an Ecru lid. $225 new from Sewell. Hoping for a good one from scrap yard or maybe a member here. I don't have enough posts here to post in the classifieds yet. I just wanted to warn everyone here not to make my mistake and save everyone some money by doing so.
sorry to hear that, expensive mistake,hope you find a lid, if i hear of one, what color do you need
Old 09-10-12, 11:22 AM
sigers98
Driver

there is one on ebay, the leather is shot, but could you use it for parts to make your good again.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/01-02-03-LEX...8a9eb3&vxp=mtr

Quick Reply: Center console lid fix