LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

What is everyone's average gas mileage? (The Mother thread)

Old 12-11-09, 12:08 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I only get around 15-15.9mpg in the city and in drive like an old man although i sometimes "air it out" on the freeway but most of my driving is normal around town. What gives?
Old 12-11-09, 08:54 PM
LANewsboy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL... i am an old man, and drive like one.... get 18-plus almost 19 around town...on regular gas. 2001 with 72K miles.
Old 12-12-09, 02:09 AM
tkbalt
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

15 - 17 City, 22 - 25 Hwy
Old 12-12-09, 03:49 AM
zachpapa
Driver School Candidate

22-23 city, 25-27 highway.
Most of my "city" driving is on long stretches of road with intermittant stop and go traffic...perhaps "daily" mileage would be a better description.
Old 12-12-09, 09:38 AM
gs eddy
Rookie

How do you guys all know what mpg you're getting in city as opposed to highway driving? Is there some display I haven't figured out yet? Cause I just go with the avg mpg on the display.
Old 12-12-09, 12:29 PM
Gil Smash
Driver

I just reset the average in the city or on the highway to get my average.
Old 12-12-09, 12:43 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

my driving is mixed about 1/2 city and 1/2 highway speeds - typical MPG for the tank averages about 22 + or - .7 or so
Old 12-12-09, 05:28 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by gs eddy
How do you guys all know what mpg you're getting in city as opposed to highway driving? Is there some display I haven't figured out yet? Cause I just go with the avg mpg on the display.
I keep an auto log in my car and enter the data every time I gas up. I compute the mpg. This let's you know if the car is performing normally or if something is amiss. You always know whether the mileage is in the city as you normally drive, if it's mixed, or highway.

I average 18-19 in my city driving, which includes a rather constant percentage of bypass mileage. If you drive is very heavy stop and go traffic you could expect lower.

When tracking highway milage for a vacation or trip, it is important to average the entire trip. Elevation has a significant impact, and you will notice that if one leg of the trip is to increased altitude you will see a much lower mpg than when you return and are going "downhill".

On trips I drive 75-80 mph and average 24-25 mpg.
Old 12-12-09, 08:09 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 666ogre666
How do you drive, that makes the main difference. When I had a Mini Cooper as my old car I would gun it everywhere but now that I have an LS I drive like an old man haha
x2 here. I have a honda prelude SH sports coupe as one of my DDs (the LS being the other), but everytime I drive that, I find I'm heavy on the throttle and zig-zagging through traffic. In the LS, I sit back, relax, and listen to the Levinson audio in the sound insulated interior. That was one reason for buying it...to reduce stress during the drive home, not increase it! I also got sick of "sporty" (hard/firm) suspension, especially here since my work location is in the not-so-good part of town, meaning terrible roads. I think the average LS owner is something like 65 yrs old. This is why it costs LESS to insure my '05 LS ultra than my '01 honda sports coupe! Insurance companies aren't dummies. They price their policies by statistics, and there's no secret that one takes more chances behind the wheel of a zippy sports car vs. a lumbering luxury sedan!

BTW, I get 22mpg commuting to work. The commute is mostly flat, 24 miles each way, 35 traffic lights. Tires are Bridgestone Turanza's inflated to 33psi, chevron 91 gas, dino 5w30 motor oil. I think I can squeeze it up to 23mpg using Mobil 1 0w40 (I find I can get 5-10% improvement using M1 0w40 on all my cars, but not other grades of M1 except 5w40).
Old 12-14-09, 04:51 PM
Budhah
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What I don't understand is taking off from stop lights, I keep it under 2000 RPM and let the others take off like a bat out of H*ll, Funny thing is I meet them at the next stop light. LOL,,, Also in my town, lights on the FOUR main streets are set at 30mph. This means that if you speed you hit every light. At 30 you can actually make all of them.

Of course I like to step on it, when some idiot wants to raze "that rich old foggie in the Lexus"
Old 12-15-09, 05:35 PM
Gil Smash
Driver

Yea its always fun to smoke so called "sports cars" such as a Mustang with a V6 haha
Old 09-07-10, 11:22 AM
JasonZ-YA
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ any chips or ECU flashes available to aid in better gas mileage?

thanks,
J- posting for a co-worker...
Old 09-07-10, 01:05 PM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 150 Posts

I may be mistaken, but I think the ECT switch functions like a throttle response improvement chip in other cars. Smooth accelerating and decelerating is key to getting good gas mileage in-city. Setting the ECT switch to Normal (as opposed to Power or Snow) will smooth the electronic throttle input. The Snow mode would be extra-smooth, but it has a different gear shift programming, and the manual states Normal would yield best fuel economy.

Setting the suspension switch to Sport (as opposed to Normal) stiffens the suspension/reduces damping and may help fuel economy by a tiny, probably unnoticeable amount.

Models equipped with air suspension will automatically lower the front end above 62mph to reduce aerodynamic drag (from 2002 LS430 brochure @ https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...e-archive.html). I don't know if the Sport setting has to be enabled to do this or if it lowers in any setting. Also don't know if aftermarket air suspension controllers interfere with this.

When I'm in a hurry, I'll get 14mpg in-city. When I'm not in a rush and with light traffic in-city, I'll get 18mpg. I get 26mpg on the highway. I leave the 2 climate control buttons always on Auto, meaning the AC is always on. I always use Top Tier gas - recently switched to Shell V-Power 91 from Petro-Canada 91. I am seeing a slight improvement in fuel economy after switching to V-Power.
Old 09-07-10, 01:16 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Used around 35 gallons and did about 850 miles (ever since I got the car). So roughly 24 mpg avg. I drive like an old man most of the time (the car is just so relaxing). Went for a spirited run or two, car pulls harder than my 3 series when you really put your foot down. Very impressed overall!
Old 09-07-10, 03:50 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

My average MPG display reads 24.5 MPG since resetting it when I bought the car last February. (It was 24.4 MPG for months and just went to 24.5 today.) My MPG since last fill up ranges between just under 23 to 25.5 depending on my driving. I use only Shell 93 octane fuel.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What is everyone's average gas mileage? (The Mother thread)