LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Lowered the UCF30! Pics

Old 05-17-08, 12:06 AM
GS3Tek

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by lsflame

As you can see in this pic. All I did was purchase these:

2" Stanley Mending in Steel from Ace Hardware which offers them with Zinc Coated also:

Purchased 4 Steel Grade 10.9 Diameter: 8mm x 1.25

Then 4 Steel Grade 10.9 Nylon Locking nuts:

Front:
1. I disconnected the turnbuckle from the control arm leaving it free
2. Connected the mending plate to the control arm using 1 of the bolts and a Nylon Locking nut
3. Make sure the mending plate is towards the inside of the mounting tab meaning it is pointing towards the engine not the wheels.
4. Then attached the turnbuckle to the to the other side of the mending plate
5. Repeat to other side

Rear:
1. I disconnected the sensor for rear axle mount right infont of the mufflers
2. I placed the mending plate against the mounting tab and ran a 1 of the new bolts through the eyelet and through the mounting tab on the axle and securely fastened it with the locking nut
3. make sure you mount the mending plate towards the outside of the car meaning it should stick out wards towards the wheels
4. I placed the sensor mount through the other hole in the mending plate and again tightened it till it was finger tight.
5. Repeat to other side.

Adjustment:
Front
1. Adjust the turnbuckle to full tight
2. Set the vehicle to high height
3. Wait 2-3 minutes as the vehicle rises
4. Adjust and tighten the bolts to be perfectly parallel with the control arms
5. This gives you stock ride height
6. To lower the vehicle place the vehicle in Normal Mode
7. Wait 2-3 Minutes as the vehicle settles
8. Loosen the mending plates from the moutning tabs ever so slightly
9. Adjust the angle of the each mending plate from running parallel to be a more acute angle meaning it is pointing up towards the control wheel and down towards the engine side of the car.
10. Measure the gap between the mending plate and the control arm on the closest side and match the other side of the vehicle.

Rear:
1. Losen the mending plate and push it down till it touches the control arm.
2. Angle the mending plate as far down as it will go
3. It will sit almost perfectly parallel to the control arm
4. This is the lowest it will go and if you want to go lower use 2.5" or 3" mending plates to space the mounting further from the tab.

So I drive in high height to avoid all the possibilities of getting stuck and scraping and when I feel like sitting uber low I hit the normal button and the car sinks and I have about 2" of clearance from my cats to the road.

Hope that explains it. if you need more help you got my number let me know.

just gimme a call any time and i will explain it pmd you my number
Very nice LSflame
Old 05-23-08, 03:39 PM
mikepae
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i wonder if a set of lowering links for a bike could be used to lower the suspension. you could then use the different holes for different height adjustments.

Old 05-23-08, 11:25 PM
jasonm
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn...I wish I had a LS430
Old 05-24-08, 12:53 AM
Dv8
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hhhhhot. REALLY. For whatever reason, stock body on a big drop looks pretty ace to me.
Old 05-24-08, 08:21 AM
airtime

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mikepae
i wonder if a set of lowering links for a bike could be used to lower the suspension. you could then use the different holes for different height adjustments.

For ease of use, if you were to use the links, do it to the lowest, then twist the rods to adjust as it will give you about a 1-1/2" worth of lowering height. In the mean time, save for a Datasystem controller
Old 09-09-09, 07:29 AM
Bryan858
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have pics of where they put the mending plates? Images were removed and I'm a bit confused...
Old 06-11-10, 10:11 AM
waijai
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

bump...any images?
Old 07-08-13, 08:30 AM
bobbyg49
Driver School Candidate

Seems to be a simple solution for lowering the LS. Not many post of where this has happened.
Old 07-08-13, 12:29 PM
joerogan
Rookie

Would this work for a non ul ls?
Old 07-08-13, 01:34 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by joerogan
Would this work for a non ul ls?
It only works on the UL because of the air suspension. The non UL models don't have all of those fancy sensors.
Old 07-11-13, 08:29 PM
borgey
Driver School Candidate

Any possibility you could re-host pics?
Old 09-08-13, 04:20 PM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

tempting to do
Old 04-05-14, 05:31 PM
GaborL
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lsflame
So the story so far, I decided to forget the $750 data systems air controller, I started looking at the lowering sensors on the car. I looked at how low it would go with fully tightening the turnbuckles. Well it was low but now low enough. So after looking at the sensor mounts I thought i could space the lower mount to the outside or inside on the mount and effectively fool the sensor to think the wheel is lower and thus pull the wheel up by lowering the car. This in theory would work out great and allow me to ride low in normal mode and then hit the Hi Height mode and go up to clear speed bumps and entrances. So I started looking around and thought hey 1" mending brackets from my tool box from when I did some cabinets. Woot! Woot! So i bolted the brackets front and rear with the buckles tightened all the way down. Started the car and watched it go down. I was giddy like a school child! LOL! Well to my dismay the rear didn’t go down as low. But i left it at the current height. I then hit the hi switch. Well the rear shot up about 2 inches but the front stayed tucked. Well i guess the front doesn't react as fast as the rear. I backed it out of the garage and driveway, which took a lil bit longer than anticipated due to the car sitting so low. Took it for a ride and I was sure the ride was going be horrible, yeah the ride was horrendous. It bounced and bobbed all over the place i was laughing at how my car rode like my buddy's civic. I then hit the sport mode button and the car leveled out and was more stable but the ride was stiff, too stiff. I then hit the Hi button and the ride was ten times better after driving for about 30 mins in hi mode I pulled over and took a look at the car. The rear was like 4 inches from the tire and the front was tucking tire!!! The front got lower! LOL! So now I am going to adjust the front and raise it about 1/2" hoping that would level the car and give me a better ride. So on to the pics and comments welcome. The fitment on the wheels is kinda weak I need to get spacers for the front abotu 10mm in front and about 15mm out back.

Here is the LS430 with regular ride height.

Here it is with the front adjusted the lowest and the rear still needing to go down about 1/2" to 1" or i will raise the front like 1/2" to even it out.

I would love to see some pics, but my app says the pics have been deleted. If you would please, send me some pics to my email so I can do exactly what you did. I love the idea of having air ride, I just wish the factory setup came an inch or two lower. Tried adjusting the rods, no luck.
Hungryglaskai@gmail.com