LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Check VSC VSC off

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-14, 12:18 PM
Snoman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default See if there's a clue here

Not sure if you've already got this information, but here's a link to the error code, which seems to explain this code fairly well:

http://www.datsc.com/tabid/122/OBD-E...s/Default.aspx

I've also had issues after replacing the O2 sensor with the VSC or CE lights illuminating in my LS430, but grounding out the two terminals on the outlet per previous posts seemed to resolve the situation with no noticeable side effects.

Goes without saying, but have you tried to discuss your issue with a Lexus dealer service manager? Might be worth exploring.

Good luck!!
Old 07-23-14, 03:37 PM
yl472401
Driver School Candidate

What year model do you have and which two terminals did you connect ? I tried and didn't work and I read through the previous thread and got confused as there are no clarification which chart is the correct one.

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 7776
Size:  36.5 KB

Originally Posted by Snoman
Not sure if you've already got this information, but here's a link to the error code, which seems to explain this code fairly well:

http://www.datsc.com/tabid/122/OBD-E...s/Default.aspx

I've also had issues after replacing the O2 sensor with the VSC or CE lights illuminating in my LS430, but grounding out the two terminals on the outlet per previous posts seemed to resolve the situation with no noticeable side effects.

Goes without saying, but have you tried to discuss your issue with a Lexus dealer service manager? Might be worth exploring.

Good luck!!

Last edited by yl472401; 07-23-14 at 03:43 PM.
Old 07-24-14, 10:21 PM
yl472401
Driver School Candidate

Problem solved. It was the one of the upper stream wire that goes to the connector that broke off when I first dissemble the malfunctioned sensor. I didn't notice the problem until I finally took it to the dealer and the technician spotted it. Dealer charges 250 for the oxygen sensor which I can get Denso product from Amazon for $80. eventually, I managed to just bridge that wire and left the other three intact wires still go through the connector. Problem solved and so happy to see the yellow lights gone!

Last edited by yl472401; 09-14-14 at 07:47 AM.
Old 08-09-14, 02:27 PM
Unsober1
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another problem solved. Light was on for 3 days. Jumped terminal 3 top and 5 bottom. Light out during a 3 mile test drive. 2003 ls430. I'll update if issue continues
Old 11-08-14, 05:48 AM
ithought
Driver School Candidate

Thanks a million teamplayer and FYOUNES (and the rest of you in this forum), 5 minutes and this worked a treat. Brilliant

Great to have a forum where people know their stuff.

Thanks again

Gerry, Wexford, Ireland

Last edited by ithought; 11-08-14 at 05:52 AM.
Old 11-11-14, 09:09 AM
kenTHUNDER
Rookie

I just tried this DIY but nothing. I only have check vsc and trac off lights on... Lights came on after installing airlift v2 management. Everything working like it should. I would just like these lights gone asap.

I put key in ignition and then put paper clip jumper into correct pin locations. I also put paper clip in before putting key in. Then I turn key to on but car is not on. My ABS light flashes a lot when I try this. Thats about it. Check vsc and trac off stay light.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 11-12-14, 08:58 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

I would also like to know the answer to this.

I followed the procedure of jumpering the terminals as outlined in this thread, and only the "AFS Off" light flashes when I do it. The VSC never flashes, and continues to come on as before when the car is started.

I have no trouble codes or check engine lights, but I can't get these other lights to stop coming on.
Mine is a 2004, maybe the procedure changed for the model refresh?
Old 11-15-14, 02:58 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by yl472401
Problem solved. It was the one of the upper stream wire that goes to the connector that broke off when I first dissemble the malfunctioned sensor. I didn't notice the problem until I finally took it to the dealer and the technician spotted it. Dealer charges 250 for the oxygen sensor which I can get Denso product from Amazon for $80. eventually, I managed to just bridge that wire and left the other three intact wires still go through the connector. Problem solved and so happy to see the yellow lights gone!

Hot Damn!! This is the exact same thing that happened to my ride. Tech said he's seen this happen a lot on a number of 400/430 motors. Unfortunately i had to let the dealer fix it while it was there. . Needless to say all lights are off and shes back to form again with increased gas mileage. Also, i've noticed the absence of an strong exhaust smell i used to get before the repair was done.
Old 11-25-14, 07:41 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

I think I may have figured out the issue.

Attached is a TSB from Toyota regarding other models.

According to the bulletin, you basically have to short and connect two strands of wire after inserting them into the proper ports 4 times as opposed to just "jumping" the ports and leaving them in place.

I seem to have gotten the light to turn off.

From Toyota:

Zero Point Calibration of Yaw Rate and Deceleration Sensors Using SST 09843–18040.
When having replaced the yaw rate sensor, deceleration sensor or the ECU, perform the process for zero point of yaw rate and deceleration sensors as shown below.
1. Ensure the shift lever is in “P” range.
2. Turn the ignition switch ON.
3. Using SST 09843–18040, repeat a cycle of short and open between terminals Ts and CG of DLC3 4 times or more within 8 seconds. Verify that the VSC indicator light is lit indicating the recorded zero point is erased.
4. Turn the ignition switch OFF.
5. Be sure the terminals Ts and CG of DLC3 are disconnected.
6. Turn the ignition switch ON.
7. Check that the VSC warning light goes off about 15 seconds after the ignition switch is turned ON.
8. After ensuring that the VSC warning light remains OFF for 2 seconds, turn the ignition switch OFF.
9. Connect the terminal Ts and CG of DLC3 using SST 09843–18040.
10. Turn the ignition switch ON.
11. After turning the ignition switch ON, check that the VSC warning light is lit for about 4 seconds and then starts quick blinking at
0.13 second intervals.
Attached Files
Old 02-13-15, 06:48 PM
VerbalKent
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just wanted to add my thanks..the jump worked for my 2001 LS430UL...got a VSC after hooking up a Bluetooth scanner...it was cool seeing everything on my phone, but not cool enough to justify CELs...again, thanks!!!!
Old 02-14-15, 06:39 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

What's cool is Techstream. I was just diagnosing and resetting a VSC issue on a friends 1998 GS300. It's good stuff.
Old 05-05-15, 06:10 PM
fensterlip
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well my "up 'till now super-reliable 04 Ultra" has been a dream to drive. Last week the CEL, Check VSC and a host of other lights came on. I followed the TSB carefully to reset the Yaw Sensor. It would reset for maybe 10 minutes and then start flashing the CEL and VSC, turning TRAC Off, etc.
I threw in the towel and brought it to my local independent and trustworthy mechanic. He pulled codes and said the car was throwing so many codes it might have to go to the dealer. One stood out - the O2 sensor, which is apparently a fancier and more expensive fuel mass reading device at $205 to me.
He replaced that, cleared the codes and they stayed cleared. They were all gone not to return.
I guess this is great, but, why can't this car, why can't Toyota, create software that throws meaningful codes?
Moral of the story is that if VSC is off and you're throwing lots of codes it might be worth sleuthing for an O2 sensor code and tackle that first.
Old 10-26-15, 12:03 PM
jamsvet
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the fix. Just had her smogged and the code appeared. Checked the forum and 10 minutes later, fixed.
Old 11-03-15, 01:17 PM
jmsed
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent advise and worked the first try !!! Thanks a lot !!!
Old 11-16-15, 09:50 PM
sghyunsu
Driver School Candidate

Not a big deal ... but the last two steps (12, 13) are missing in the Zero Point Calibration procedure at post #99.

12. After ensuring the blinking of the VSC warning light for 2 seconds, turn the ignition switch OFF.
13. Remove the SST from terminals Ts and CG of DLC3.

Confirm Zero Point Calibration:
Drive the vehicle to confirm there are no re-occurring lights or DTCs

Quick Reply: Check VSC VSC off