LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS430-Tire tires discussions (The Mother thread)

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-12, 04:42 AM
karmaz
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've Michelin Pilot super sports on mine. The ride and lack of noise are outstanding. I'd highly recommend them.
Old 09-25-12, 08:48 AM
HTOWNLS500
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I had sumitomo tires on my OEM wheels and they sucked so bad, I thought I had a bent axle or messed up bearing! lol .. I put on some Yokohama AVID TRZ tires from discount tires, and they are some of the best riding and comfortable tires I have ever owned. They aren't too loud and the LS is pretty sound insulated so it wont be so noticeable with any tire. They are also rated for 80,000 miles treadwear so I rotate them every oil change, since I use Royal purple and change every 6,000 miles (every two oil changes if you use traditional oil), and after 20k miles, they still look great!
Old 09-25-12, 10:36 AM
LSBlues
Driver School Candidate

I upgraded my wheels to later model 18" a long time ago and have been through plenty of tires over the 203k life of the '01 LS430 UL that I bought as a CPO with 45k miles on it-while I've always been a big fan of Michelin tires and run various versions of them on sport cars to trucks I was not at all pleased with the Pilot Sports on the car when I put a set of them on and since then have stuck with Bridgestone Potenza's currently running RE970AS which replaced the RE960AS tires as they are smoother & quieter than anything else with a reasonable lifespan. Just recently put the 970's on even though I'm looking to sell the car.
Old 09-25-12, 07:12 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I have 18" OEM wheels, so the vehicle is more sensitive to tires. The OEM bridgestone EL42's were mediocre. Traction in the wet was bad (if you hit a patch of water, it wouldn't hydro-plane, but you'd definitely feel it slow down and drag). This forced me to really slow down in heavy downpours. On the dry, traction was decent, but the ride was a tad harsh (you feel every bump). Tires were quiet. I replaced them w/ Michelin Primacy MXV4 V-rated tires. Tires ride a tad softer, traction on the dry is comparable, but in the wet, it's like day vs. night. In a heavy downpour on the interstate, I can maintain freeway speeds (55mph) while everyone else is slowing down to 35mph. The tires shed water very well, as if there was no rain. Best tires are my Michelin Alpin PA3 snow tires. They're sport snow tires, so cornering is as good as a 3-season tire, but when driving in snow, it's like it's not even there! Also, fuel economy (the 18's are "green" rated) is as good, if not a tad better than the Primacy MXV4's. Tread is softer (rated the same as the bridgestone EL42 3-season tires), though. Ride is a tad softer than the primacy's. I run them from Nov-Apr. Best tire I've owned.
Old 09-26-12, 01:32 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

The PA3 sounds sweet for all year use. What would ya get out of em 35 k?
Old 09-26-12, 04:54 AM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

MICHELIN!!! made in usa baaaaaby!! go to costco and get them, lifetime balance and rotation discount.
Old 09-26-12, 05:18 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

I guess from this post you can see folks are happy with all the top end tires from all the big tire makers. I will toss in the GY Comfortred Touring. Then its just price and promotions and who ya want rotating your tires which is important. I need tires for my VW and will see what the dealer buy 3 get one free works out to every year in October. Really only trust a good garage rotating my tires not sears or costco or walmart. Just me though others find these big box stores just fine. Good luck every once in a while from any tire manuf you run into a bad tire.
Old 09-26-12, 08:24 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Costco give me excellent service on my Michelin's. Much superior to Discount Tire, which is horrible in comparison in my area.
Old 09-26-12, 05:13 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Glad Costco is great. Just with a dealer you have guys who do/rebuild frame up repairs/replacements and have more knowledge on weird situations. I know a 8 32 Serenity will out perform a 6/32 michelin so I just buy em cheap with rebates and etc and change em early. Last time I checked GY where 125 with rebate on 225/55/17. I pitty guys who drive em low to save money and sacrifice performance on such a fine ride. But to each his own!!!
Old 09-26-12, 07:09 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

+1 on MIchelin Primacys. Costco is having a sale until October 8th or 10th for $70 off on a set of Michelins.
Old 09-26-12, 08:02 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Michelin runs that rebate practically 24/7 they are spectacular tires!
Old 09-27-12, 07:23 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I got my 18" primacy mxv4's at my local dealer. With a 20% off coupon, it came out a tad cheaper than buying from the tirerack w/ the warranty and paying the shipping/installation. My local Costco didn't carry them...special order only on the 245/45R18's, and they were still $234 each.
Old 10-20-12, 09:33 PM
gbracer04
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BigBoi94
OEM wheels are your best choice to go with, when you start putting other tires, that's when you run into road noise.
I agree! Most people think that there replacement tires are better than the OEM because when its time to change them there OEM tires are worn down and noisey. That will happen to any tire after some time.

The real question for everybody is how did your car feel when it was new with the OEM tires???

It is very difficult to find the right tire for your car when its time to replace. But I can assure everyone that Lexus ran very thorough and rigorous tests to match a tire that will give you the best ride all around so they could sell their 60K and over cars.

They may not have very long treadwear but they made the car drive like a dream in the beginning.

Anybody wanna disagree with me??
Old 10-20-12, 11:55 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

I take care of my tires so they never wear down and get any noisier than expected with wear.The dunlops they came with are not as well rated as Michelins but unless we do side by sides I will not disagree especially when you ask it I want to disagree.

Other manufacturers put on the cheapest tires which get decenet gas mileage for the window stickers. My dad got a 2010 Legacy with Turanza 402's the worst rated tire in its catagory on Tire Rack. I drove it straight to the Googyear dealer for some Comfortred tires and it was night and day. Goodyear was Pretty nice they gave me 300 bucks credit.
Old 10-30-12, 07:15 PM
Poptop75
Driver School Candidate

My Michelin Primacy's purchased at Costco have been the best tires I've ever owned. Wish they made them for my RS 330 and LS 460.

Quick Reply: LS430-Tire tires discussions (The Mother thread)