LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2005 LS430 Front Console Cupholders vs Ashtray question

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-07, 03:24 PM
sgroubert
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 LS430 Front Console Cupholders vs Ashtray question

I just bought a Certified Lexus a week ago and it seems to me that the front pop-out cupholders are in a terrible position. With bottles of water or tall cups in them it interferes with the driver's ability to reach the shifter (a potential safety issue); also on a moderate or sharp turn, due to the wide diameter of the cup openings, bottles and cups are not held securly and tip over and if not covered, spill (another safety issue). I was told by the parts dept that the orig. car came with additional cupholders in the front console (where my car has an ashtray/cig lighter with a pop-up wood cover) and that the ashtray itself is an optional accessory. The used car mgr. at the dealership said if that were so he'd change it out for me but he says he's sure that the ashtray is the original equipment, not a cup holder. Has anyone else noted the problem with the location of the cupholders and with the diameter of the opening in them so that they don't hold a bottle or cup securely? And can anyone say for sure if an ashtray or a second (stationary) cupholder comes as orig. equipment in the front console "ashtray" opening? Thanks. Steven G
Old 07-07-07, 04:10 PM
bigcory
Lead Lap

Not positive about the ashtray cup holder replacment, but I know someone on here recently replaced their ashtray with a "coin" tray. It was a small compartment that looked to be an inch or two deep. So it might be likley that they have other options.
Old 07-07-07, 08:15 PM
OBXTucker
Driver

I had the same issue with my cup holder, but have played around with different cups and now have several that fit perfectly. Not sure I agree with the cup holder being a "safety issue" by interfering with the shifter - unless I'm drinking a Super Duper Big Gulp - which won't fit in the holder anyway (in which case, I've got bigger problems because the cup is now between my legs and interferes with the steering wheel....don't ask how I know this!!).

To my knowledge, there was never a cup holder that went where the ashtray is - only a change holder.
Old 02-17-08, 12:27 PM
cat6man
Driver School Candidate

Default can't stop spilling coffee......need help

just moved from a 1994 ls400 to a 2005 ls430 and am desperate to find coffee mugs that fit this poorly designed (too wide or too little pressure on extension arms) cupholder.

any suggestions for coffee mugs/holders that fit well and won't tip over?

thanks
Old 02-17-08, 12:53 PM
denroll
Driver

About that cupholder, the design may suck, but I just love how smoothly and silently they deploy like they were hydraulically controlled.
Old 02-17-08, 04:16 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by cat6man
just moved from a 1994 ls400 to a 2005 ls430 and am desperate to find coffee mugs that fit this poorly designed (too wide or too little pressure on extension arms) cupholder.

any suggestions for coffee mugs/holders that fit well and won't tip over?

thanks
Its much better than the one in the GS (in the GS, it located where the ashtray is.

To the OP, the manager is right, its and ashtray and Lexus sells a replacement box instead, but you will lose your cig lighter. No cup holders though.
Old 02-18-08, 07:30 AM
CG lover
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the cupholder holds our Starbucks just fine,, do agree they could be a tad deeper and better tension on the arms,, they work for us as I have seen some other cars they are dismal in,, take my wifes VW Bug,, a disaster,,

have never seen an 05 with any other arrangement,, cupholder in the front of the armrest and the ash try to the right of the shifter,,
Old 09-14-08, 07:52 AM
big_blzr94
Rookie

I would also like to remve my ashtray in favor of the cup holder. I found this
http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/par...l.asp?id=88809
, but I have not found the cup holders to revert back. Anybody have luck with this?
Old 09-14-08, 09:18 AM
froboy272
Pole Position

Originally Posted by big_blzr94
, but I have not found the cup holders to revert back. Anybody have luck with this?
i honestly dont feel that the opening where the ash tray and cig lighter are is anywhere near wide enough for cups.
Old 09-14-08, 06:30 PM
bigcory
Lead Lap

I saw a post on here recently about the coin tray (read: no cup holder available in that spot). It was extremly expensive to buy the part. Like several hundred dollars. And you have to rip apart the center consule to replace it.

If anyone out there has the coin tray and wants to swap for the ashtray, let me know
Old 09-14-08, 07:15 PM
froboy272
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bigcory
I saw a post on here recently about the coin tray (read: no cup holder available in that spot). It was extremly expensive to buy the part. Like several hundred dollars. And you have to rip apart the center consule to replace it.

If anyone out there has the coin tray and wants to swap for the ashtray, let me know
ha ha ha id just like to see the thing first
Old 09-15-08, 03:54 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by big_blzr94
Its a mistake on behalf of sewell, that was never a cupholder. I guess who ever wrote the description is used to the GS layout. Cupholders are right at the tip of the center console.

Its and ashtray from the factory, and an optional empty box if you prefer.
Old 09-15-08, 02:58 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Anyone got a pic of the optional empty box?
Old 04-17-09, 05:31 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default It's ALIVE !!!!

Originally Posted by BNR34
Anyone got a pic of the optional empty box?
I'm reviving this thread !!! Since I just installed my "storage bin" yesterday...

Here are two pics
Attached Thumbnails 2005 LS430 Front Console Cupholders vs Ashtray question-04-17-09_0822.jpg  
Old 04-17-09, 05:36 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Hold a cup?

I don't know what size cup (Dixie 8 oz.) this would hold, but it's not even holding a 12 oz. soda can. I didn't get it for drinks that's for sure. I got it for extra storage (hold cell phone while charging) without using the little dinky pull-out one.

For anyone interested, part number was: 58810-50020-E0 (last two characters for wood color). E0 is for the medium "burnt" brown.
Attached Thumbnails 2005 LS430 Front Console Cupholders vs Ashtray question-04-17-09_0823.jpg  

Quick Reply: 2005 LS430 Front Console Cupholders vs Ashtray question