LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS430 programming transponder

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-07, 04:26 PM
sigers98
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Default LS430 programming transponder

Hi,i was wodering if any new the sequence for re-programming a new key,have have done the un-lock,and lock part with the remote,and thats fine,but programming the new key so the engine will start will not work.can anyone tell me what this is.my instructions say to>
insert original key
switch to on and off five times
open close drivers door six times
remove key
insert new key
immobilizer light will flash,wait 1-2 minutes till light goes out
remove key
re-insert,and start car,problem is immobilizer light never goes out,even after 5 mins.

I have a ls430 2002 ,
Old 06-26-07, 04:45 PM
sigers98
Driver

just read another thread that says,that if all the slots are taken,then you cannot program new key,but how to you arase the key codes?
Old 06-26-07, 06:06 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I think the car can take up a lot of keys... so im pretty sure you are not full on slots. It may be another issue.

When it says to turn the key to the ON position... your not starting the engine right? just making sure. Also, make sure the doors are all closed when you start this. I remember reading another tricky detail about the programming instructions while i was doing mine... but I cant find the thread in the maintenance forum.

The instructions are on my personal PC, which does not have Internet access currently... if you dont get this resolved within 4 days, PM me with the instructions i have saved.

EDIT: I remember it involved pressing on the brakes, and gas pedal a few times... which obviously you didnt mention here. try and search for the full instructions.

Last edited by GRAND_LS 4; 06-26-07 at 06:15 PM.
Old 06-27-07, 10:43 AM
sigers98
Driver

thanks for the info, i spoke to the tech today,and he said go throught the same procedure,but do it very fast,othewise it will not take the program, he confirmed the slots cannot be full,otherwise the remote program would not work either, thanks for your input.

Last edited by sigers98; 06-27-07 at 01:19 PM.
Old 06-27-07, 03:05 PM
sigers98
Driver

Default you have to read this on key chip programming

yesterday,i posted thread on how to program my new key,i read many articles from past treads,and found that most have had trouble with the last part thats programs the chip in the car to the immobolizer,last night i went throught the open door,turn ignition on off,maybe ten times.
this is the soloution,providing that the new key takes the remote open feature,which nearly everyone has no trouble with,and all this talk of full slots,and to many keys in the memory,and having to clear to except new keys is wrong.
I talked to my tech tonight,the reason for the problem is speed,you have to go through the program like you were in a race,as fast as you can.
Did this tonight,worked first time,after about 40 seconds light went out,and that was there is to it.i have seen a lot of frustrated threads on this problem,and hope sharing this will solve the problem,thansk for reading.

Last edited by sigers98; 06-27-07 at 03:08 PM. Reason: spelling msistake
Old 06-27-07, 06:40 PM
Hudini
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Timing worked for me:

Key Programming 2
1. Close all doors.
2. Insert an already programmed master key into the ignition.
3. Turn the key from the OFF to On and back OFF FIVE (5) times.
4. Open and close the drivers door SIX (6) times.
5. Remove the key from the ignition.
6. Insert the new key you want to program into the ignition.
7. Wait 1 minute. The security light will be blinking for this one minute. When it stops blinking your key is programmed. To end programming step on brake one time.

Timing may be important. I did the key on and off to the count of 1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi said in regular speach -- or just about on the second. Then switched keys in 3-5 seconds. Then opened the door to the same beat.
The Security light flashed for about a minute and then went out. I then hit the brake once -- proably within 3-5 seconds of the light going out.

Then started the car with the newly programmed valet key.

Try it and let me know!
Old 07-01-07, 01:37 PM
TrojanUAE
Driver School Candidate

Does this method work for LS430 2005 !! ( keyless ignition )
Old 07-01-07, 03:21 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TrojanUAE
Does this method work for LS430 2005 !! ( keyless ignition )
No. Smartkey's (2004+) cannot be programmed this way. I am yet to find out how to do it, but I so far from what I gather, it can only be done with a program tool through Lexus.
Old 03-14-13, 10:06 PM
ttomasic
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just purchased a used 2002 LS430 and needed to add 2 additional master keys, one with keyless entry and one without. I purchased the 2 keys from Sewell Lexus online with great satisfaction (parts #89070-50660 and 89785-60180). I now have 4 keys, 2 masters with keyless entry, 1 regular master, and 1 valet key. Thanks to all the prior posts which helped guide the programming of my new keys. It took some additional trial and error on both sets of instructions, but I eventually got the pattern figured out for me. Hope my additional notes help you!

Keyless Entry Programming. Lock. Unlock. Trunk. (TTT notes)
1. Sit inside the car. Close the driver’s door. All other doors closed also.
2. Lock the doors with the lock button.
3. Start the car with the original working master key. Wait a few seconds. Turn off the car and remove the original working master key.
4. Open the driver’s door by pulling on the handle. Do not unlock with the button or manually unlock. Just pull the handle and Open the door. Driver’s door is now Open.
5. Within 5 seconds, Insert and Remove the original working master key from the ignition switch TWICE. (In Out In Out).
6. Within several seconds, Close and Open the driver’s door TWICE. (Close Open Close Open).
7. Insert and Remove the original working master key from the ignition switch. (In Out).
8. Close the driver’s door. (Close).
9. Within several seconds, Open and Close the driver’s door TWICE, adding one final Open. (Open Close Open Close Open).
10. Insert original working master key into the ignition switch.
11. Close the driver’s door. (Close).
12. Switch ignition ON then OFF ONE TIME only - this will put the car in ADD mode.
13. Remove the original working master key from the ignition.
14. System should now Lock and Unlock vehicle one time automatically.
15. Within several seconds, on the new key being programmed, press and hold UNLOCK button followed immediately with LOCK button so that you are holding down both buttons at the same time. Hold them for a few seconds. Release the buttons. (The original instructions indicate to depress the buttons simultaneously, which did not seem to work for me after several tries, so I varied how to push the buttons.)
16. Within 3 seconds, press and release UNLOCK button.
17. System should now Lock and Unlock the car once to confirm registration of the new key. (or twice to indicate registration has failed per the original post)
18. Exit programming mode by opening driver’s door.
19. Test Keyless Entry functions on the new key. Lock. Unlock. Trunk.
These steps FINALLY worked for me!!! Good luck!!! TTT

Security Immobilizer Programming. Start Engine. (TTT notes)
1. Have all windows up and doors shut.
2. Stand outside the vehicle.
3. From outside, Lock the doors with the original working master key by pressing LOCK button.
4. From outside, Unlock the driver’s door with the original working master key by pressing UNLOCK once.
5. Enter the vehicle, and close the driver’s door. Press the lock button (by the window switches) once to lock the doors.
6. Start the car for about 5 seconds, then turn the car off, and remove the original working master key.
7. Insert the original working master key back into the ignition.
8. Within 35 seconds, do the following (Make these next moves very precise and without any variation in your motions, which seemed to help):
a) Turn the key to the ACC position, being careful not to turn too far. (key in ACC position)
b) Turn the key from ACC to ON position five times ending in the ACC position. (ON ACC, ON ACC, ON ACC, ON ACC, ON ACC); do this somewhat quickly in about 1 second cycles for each ON ACC motion.
c) Open and Close the driver's door SIX times. (Open Close Open Close Open Close Open Close Open Close Open Close). Do not unlock the door with the button – just pull the handle and the door will unlock during your first Open.
d) Remove the original master key
9. Within 10 seconds insert New Key into the ignition, and turn to "ON".
10. Leave the New Key inserted until the red security light stops flashing (mine took about 60 seconds; other posts say up to 90 – 120 seconds).
11. After the flashing stops, remove New Key from ignition.
12. Depress the brake pedal forcefully ONCE to exit the programming mode.
13. Wait 15 seconds to allow the computer to reset.
14. Test New Key by inserting into ignition. The red security light should go off. Attempt to start the vehicle.
Old 03-19-14, 08:28 PM
RushNatU
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I am attempting to program the keyless entry part of the key and am having some trouble. I have successfully got the car into ADD mode confirmed by the lock/unlock when removing the master key, then on the new key when I press and hold the unlock followed by lock for like 5 seconds, release and then push unlock, nothing happens. I tried pushing lock/unlock simultaneously, still nothing. Am I missing a step?

I successfully programmed the immobilized so the new key does start the car. Thanks for any help!
Old 03-20-14, 01:16 PM
RushNatU
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Here is the key programming info for your 2003 LS430 with remote programming info as well.

Let me know if it works.....DanozLS430

Key Programming
1. Close all doors.
2. Insert an already programmed master key into the ignition.
3. Turn the key from the OFF to On and back OFF FIVE (5) times.
4. Open and close the drivers door SIX (6) times.
5. Remove the key from the ignition.
6. Insert the new key you want to program into the ignition.
7. Wait 1 minute. The security light will be blinking for this one minute. When it stops blinking your key is programmed. To end programming step on the brake one time.

NOTE: You have 35 seconds to complete steps 1-5 and 10 seconds to complete step 6. If you do not do this procedure fast enough the car will not go into programming mode and your key will not program.

If the security light does not go out after 1 minute start the procedure over again.

I found these instructions as well. I am going to try this evening. The only difference is in step 16 where this version says to press the LOCK button instead of UNLOCK

Remote Programming
1. Close and lock all doors. Unlock and open drivers door.
2. Put key into ignition and remove TWO TIMES.
3. Close and open the drivers door TWO TIMES.
4. Put key into the ignition and remove.
5. Close and open the drivers door two times.
6. Put key into the ignition. Close the drivers door.
7. Turn ignition ON then OFF ONE TIME- this will put the car in ADD mode for your remote. (Turning the ignition ON then OFF TWO TIMES will ADD the remote but will erase all existing remotes.)
8. Remove the key from the ignition. The door locks will cycle one time (or two if you are erasing) . On the REMOTE press and hold the LOCK and the UNLOCK button for 2 seconds. On the REMOTE press the LOCK button for one second.

AT THIS POINT, the locks should cycle by themselves ONE time. This means the procedure was accepted. IF the locks cycle twice it has failed. IF this happens you must start over. Hold the remotes higher up for better reception

9. Open and close the drivers door. Put key in ignition and pull out. This will end
programming.

Edit: this worked for me. In the end it locked and unlocked twice which according to the instructions means it was unsuccessful, however it was successful because the key works great. Seems there are some subtle errors in the original instructions above.

Last edited by RushNatU; 03-20-14 at 01:33 PM.
Old 09-22-14, 03:17 AM
Alex76
Driver School Candidate

Ttomasic thank you very much for your comments and instructions. I finnally did it!!! This issue was driving me crazy. The most important things were steps 1 to 4 and your step 15 (Within several seconds, on the new key being programmed, press and hold UNLOCK button followed immediately with LOCK button so that you are holding down both buttons at the same time. Hold them for a few seconds. Release the buttons. (The original instructions indicate to depress the buttons simultaneously, which did not seem to work for me after several tries, so I varied how to push the buttons.))

;-)
Thank's!
Old 09-29-14, 06:15 AM
ttomasic
Driver School Candidate

Default LS430 programming transponder

Alex76

I am very happy to hear that the instructions worked for you! My adventure in programing the keys was frustrating, but with experimentation on what I was reading, my final variation on the instructions actually worked. Good luck, and enjoy!

TTomasic
Old 10-29-16, 10:51 AM
DavidMcC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ttomasic
I just purchased a used 2002 LS430 and needed to add 2 additional master keys, one with keyless entry and one without. I purchased the 2 keys from Sewell Lexus online with great satisfaction (parts #89070-50660 and 89785-60180). I now have 4 keys, 2 masters with keyless entry, 1 regular master, and 1 valet key. Thanks to all the prior posts which helped guide the programming of my new keys. It took some additional trial and error on both sets of instructions, but I eventually got the pattern figured out for me. Hope my additional notes help you!

Keyless Entry Programming. Lock. Unlock. Trunk. (TTT notes)
1. Sit inside the car. Close the driver’s door. All other doors closed also.
2. Lock the doors with the lock button.
3. Start the car with the original working master key. Wait a few seconds. Turn off the car and remove the original working master key.
4. Open the driver’s door by pulling on the handle. Do not unlock with the button or manually unlock. Just pull the handle and Open the door. Driver’s door is now Open.
5. Within 5 seconds, Insert and Remove the original working master key from the ignition switch TWICE. (In Out In Out).
6. Within several seconds, Close and Open the driver’s door TWICE. (Close Open Close Open).
7. Insert and Remove the original working master key from the ignition switch. (In Out).
8. Close the driver’s door. (Close).
9. Within several seconds, Open and Close the driver’s door TWICE, adding one final Open. (Open Close Open Close Open).
10. Insert original working master key into the ignition switch.
11. Close the driver’s door. (Close).
12. Switch ignition ON then OFF ONE TIME only - this will put the car in ADD mode.
13. Remove the original working master key from the ignition.
14. System should now Lock and Unlock vehicle one time automatically.
15. Within several seconds, on the new key being programmed, press and hold UNLOCK button followed immediately with LOCK button so that you are holding down both buttons at the same time. Hold them for a few seconds. Release the buttons. (The original instructions indicate to depress the buttons simultaneously, which did not seem to work for me after several tries, so I varied how to push the buttons.)
16. Within 3 seconds, press and release UNLOCK button.
17. System should now Lock and Unlock the car once to confirm registration of the new key. (or twice to indicate registration has failed per the original post)
18. Exit programming mode by opening driver’s door.
19. Test Keyless Entry functions on the new key. Lock. Unlock. Trunk.

Security Immobilizer Programming. Start Engine. (TTT notes)
1. Have all windows up and doors shut.
2. Stand outside the vehicle.
3. From outside, Lock the doors with the original working master key by pressing LOCK button.
4. From outside, Unlock the driver’s door with the original working master key by pressing UNLOCK once.
5. Enter the vehicle, and close the driver’s door. Press the lock button (by the window switches) once to lock the doors.
6. Start the car for about 5 seconds, then turn the car off, and remove the original working master key.
7. Insert the original working master key back into the ignition.
8. Within 35 seconds, do the following (Make these next moves very precise and without any variation in your motions, which seemed to help):
a) Turn the key to the ACC position, being careful not to turn too far. (key in ACC position)
b) Turn the key from ACC to ON position five times ending in the ACC position. (ON ACC, ON ACC, ON ACC, ON ACC, ON ACC); do this somewhat quickly in about 1 second cycles for each ON ACC motion.
c) Open and Close the driver's door SIX times. (Open Close Open Close Open Close Open Close Open Close Open Close). Do not unlock the door with the button – just pull the handle and the door will unlock during your first Open.
d) Remove the original master key
9. Within 10 seconds insert New Key into the ignition, and turn to "ON".
10. Leave the New Key inserted until the red security light stops flashing (mine took about 60 seconds; other posts say up to 90 – 120 seconds).
11. After the flashing stops, remove New Key from ignition.
12. Depress the brake pedal forcefully ONCE to exit the programming mode.
13. Wait 15 seconds to allow the computer to reset.
14. Test New Key by inserting into ignition. The red security light should go off. Attempt to start the vehicle.
I just wanted to say a big thank you. one of my master keys suddenly lost its programming. oddly the keyless entry and starting engine still worked fine, it was just the buttons that didn't work. I followed the instructions on the other pages and they didn't work for me. I was about to give up and resign myself to an expensive dealer fix and then by luck I found your post and it worked perfectly. a big thank you.

​​​​​​​ so if you have a UK 2003 model ls430 with smart key and your buttons stop working but everything else fine, give the above a try!
Old 10-31-16, 05:32 AM
ttomasic
Driver School Candidate

big thank you back for the nice reply! I too was just about to give up, and go to the dealer. I even ran my battery dead attempting different combinations. I tried one more time, and was able to decipher the wording of other posts to finally get mine to work for me. Glad this was helpful for someone else!! Enjoy your Lexus! TTT

Quick Reply: LS430 programming transponder