LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

More about rims on LS430s...

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-07, 06:13 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default More about rims on LS430s...

I hate bringing this up because there seems to be so much talk about wheels and fitments, but my need for reliable information still seems unfulfilled. I'm simply going to ask, at what offset will a 20x10" wheel with a 275/30/20 tire rub the rear fender lip at any point in the suspension travel? I understand there may be differences between tire brands. Also, how about a 20x9.5" wheel? If anyone has any info about front wheels too, please post it, but it seems like the more common problem is with the rears.

I'm really not liking the idea of rolling my lips and compromising the integrity of the fenders and paint, so lets not make an issue out of fenderlip rolling, I just want to know wheel specs and if it'll rub or not. With all the guys out there with 20's on their cars this shouldn't be too much to ask, I hope. Maybe if we get solid reliable info we can post a sticky about wheel fitments and issues?
Old 05-29-07, 11:32 PM
FLIPPU
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

20x10 with a 38 offset and 265 series tires should be good enough to clear the fenders as long as you do not drop the car tooo low. The fronts have more clearance..20x9 with 40 offset and 245's will be just fine.

Mike
Old 06-01-07, 07:48 AM
Johnjohn13
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ancdmd
I hate bringing this up because there seems to be so much talk about wheels and fitments, but my need for reliable information still seems unfulfilled. I'm simply going to ask, at what offset will a 20x10" wheel with a 275/30/20 tire rub the rear fender lip at any point in the suspension travel? I understand there may be differences between tire brands. Also, how about a 20x9.5" wheel? If anyone has any info about front wheels too, please post it, but it seems like the more common problem is with the rears.

I'm really not liking the idea of rolling my lips and compromising the integrity of the fenders and paint, so lets not make an issue out of fenderlip rolling, I just want to know wheel specs and if it'll rub or not. With all the guys out there with 20's on their cars this shouldn't be too much to ask, I hope. Maybe if we get solid reliable info we can post a sticky about wheel fitments and issues?
Hi Adam! Found a car and installed the Wald Kit yet? Post up some pics once you're done!
Old 06-01-07, 09:44 AM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Hey Garrick, I got a car last week. The kit is still in the house though, can't put it on until I find some wheels. I'm getting very frustrated with the wheel search since most wheels are so unappealing and/or don't fit properly. Its amazing how the vast majority of wheels on the market are so damned ugly! I guess I could get multipiece rims but they are just way too expensive for me.
Old 06-01-07, 11:59 PM
Johnjohn13
Pole Position

Hey Garrick, I got a car last week. The kit is still in the house though, can't put it on until I find some wheels. I'm getting very frustrated with the wheel search since most wheels are so unappealing and/or don't fit properly. Its amazing how the vast majority of wheels on the market are so damned ugly! I guess I could get multipiece rims but they are just way too expensive for me.
I use to run with 20x9/20x10 setup with a +45 offset. No mods on the fenders at all and I was lowered with the Datasystem air ride controller. I could get really low and still now rubbing issues. You can always go with this "safe" setup but as you know I sold them and now looking for a more aggressive setup. Or should I say the most aggressive setup I can go with, without any major fender mods. There is something about rolling/cutting fenders on a $50k car that I'm oppose to.

IMHO the best looking wheels on the LS430 is the dish type, (i.e. AME Shallex AX, Work D3S, Magnifiques). Expect to pay north of $2500 for a nice 20" setup (rims only). You may get lucky with a used set so just keep on searching. Good luck!
Old 06-02-07, 10:22 AM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the info Garrick! I haven't seen any off-the-rack wheels with those offsets, they're all more aggressive. I could probably go a few mm more aggressive and not have any serious problems, whaddya think? I checked out all the wheels from Work and they sure have some nice wheels but I have trouble shelling out that much cash for rims. Guess I'll have to keep my eyes out for used. Would you happen to have a photo(s) of your car with those wheels on it so I can see how conservative/aggressive it looks?
Old 06-02-07, 03:59 PM
Johnjohn13
Pole Position

Thanks for the info Garrick! I haven't seen any off-the-rack wheels with those offsets, they're all more aggressive. I could probably go a few mm more aggressive and not have any serious problems, whaddya think? I checked out all the wheels from Work and they sure have some nice wheels but I have trouble shelling out that much cash for rims. Guess I'll have to keep my eyes out for used. Would you happen to have a photo(s) of your car with those wheels on it so I can see how conservative/aggressive it looks?
Here is my car once upon a time... This pic will give you the best idea on how the (20x9/20x10) +45 offset will look. It's more "tucked" than anything.

Check out these wheels someone on this board is selling. Definitely no issues with fitment here.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=270466
Attached Thumbnails More about rims on LS430s...-img_0425.jpg  

Last edited by Johnjohn13; 06-02-07 at 04:02 PM.
Old 06-02-07, 04:55 PM
airtime

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnjohn13
Here is my car once upon a time... This pic will give you the best idea on how the (20x9/20x10) +45 offset will look. It's more "tucked" than anything.
Nothing wrong with that "tucked" look
Old 06-02-07, 05:42 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

I think the offset looks good. Sure, they're not fender flush, but they still look sweet. Not a bad price for that set in the link, just not my favorite style. The VS KF's in Burning Black, now those would be nice! Thanks for the pic, Garrick, now I know what specs to look for and I have a solid idea of how the setup looks. I'm going to call D2 on Monday and see if any of the NAD or JAS wheels will work.