Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > LS Models > LS430
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

'04 LS430 Ashtray Alternative

Old 08-04-09, 10:02 PM   #61
Griff48
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)

The part I received from Sewell was very different in color from my '04 UL with the antique walnut. I was stumped, but my son took it and had the doors swapped in about 15 minutes. He is not an engineer. While I had the console apart I took the opportunity to clean the cupholder mechanism. The previous owner had apparently dumped something sticky at some point (easy to do), as it would hang up about half way out. Works fine now cleaned up and with a shot of silicone spray in the works. The ashtray changeout is great.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Griff48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-09, 11:07 AM   #62
otcviper
Driver School Candidate

Send a message via AIM to otcviper

This is great... exactly what I've been looking for. Does anybody know how to determine what your color code is?
otcviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-09, 07:24 PM   #63
Griff48
Rookie

Provide Sewell with your car's VIN. They can tell from that. Mine did not match well because I had inadvertantly given them the VIN from my '99LS instead of the '04

Gene
Griff48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-09, 10:09 PM   #64
DNC
Lead Lap

I installed mine tonight and the wood was a perfect match. Sewell did charge me more by mistake but refunded my card with no questions.
DNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-09, 05:11 AM   #65
AlexusAnja

Default Holy moly !!!

[quote=jayclapp;4737618]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexusAnja View Post
I am an engineer and these are the answers:
Quote:

3. Original cover was not anticipated to be used, but removal and installation is really 'self-explanatory' meaning if you have any sort of mechanical knowledge, you'll be able to remove the cover. If not, then don't bother, the pattern is not going to be that far of
Quote:
f.

Alex, please don't take offense to my comments. I am also an engineer and almost always agree with your comments.

Today I received the console bow from Sewell. In my case the wood door did not quite match in color. So I decided to Change the door. Wow! What a job. There were no instructions and I had to kind of reserve engineer the job by disassembling the current bow. If all you want to do is replace the current box with the new one it is quite simple. After disassembling, you only have to replace 4 screws to replace the box. Changing the door was another thing. First you have to remove a cover at the end of the box in order to remove the lower half of the box. This is necessary to get access to the 4th screw that hold the door to the unit. Then you have to remove the lower portion of the box to be able to get to the 3 screws that hold the door on. After removing the door, you have to exchange the inner door surface that comes with the new unit to the old door you wish to keep. No obvious and I missed this the first time. When assembling without this new piece, the door would not open and close properly. All in all, it took me over an hour to fit my old door into the new console unit. But I'm very picky and wouldn't be satisfied with an obvious mismatch in color. The new door was slightly lighter in color and I would always be aware of it.

I'm very happy with the results, but people should be aware that keeping your old door is not a simple quick thing to do.
Not offended at all... I actually hope no one was offended my my comments thinking that it would take an engineer to figure it out. For me, the match was close enough in color and pattern that I just kept it as is. Plus, the old cover had some minor scuffs that I didn't care to transposition over to the new unit.

And yes, what you outlined is exactly what I figured it would take to remove the unit. When I was removing the old unit, the side cover actually fell off to reveal the inner workings. It's not a TOUGH job, but not an easy job either and I hope I didn't lead people on to think the removal of the cover was a jiffy. I just meant that removal and installation was "self explanatory"...

N:Quebec E:Boston W:Chicago S: Orlando
AlexusAnja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-09, 07:43 AM   #66
jayclapp
Lexus Test Driver

[QUOTE=AlexusAnja;4742110]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayclapp View Post

Not offended at all... I actually hope no one was offended my my comments thinking that it would take an engineer to figure it out. For me, the match was close enough in color and pattern that I just kept it as is. Plus, the old cover had some minor scuffs that I didn't care to transposition over to the new unit.

And yes, what you outlined is exactly what I figured it would take to remove the unit. When I was removing the old unit, the side cover actually fell off to reveal the inner workings. It's not a TOUGH job, but not an easy job either and I hope I didn't lead people on to think the removal of the cover was a jiffy. I just meant that removal and installation was "self explanatory"...
Actually I quite enjoyed the exercise. It was almost worth it just to see how Lexus had designed the mechanism that allows the door to open slowly simulating the action of a pneumatic shock. A very clever spring design.

When you look at the console assembly you begin to realize the attention to detail that Lexus has gone to and why the assembly costs what it does. Example of the little unknowns that cause us to love our Lexus.

BOOMER SOONER!
jayclapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-09, 08:06 PM   #67
AlexusAnja

Default Not so special...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayclapp View Post
When you look at the console assembly you begin to realize the attention to detail that Lexus has gone to and why the assembly costs what it does. Example of the little unknowns that cause us to love our Lexus.
Ahhh... I'm sure MB and BMW pay the same amount to detail that Lexus does, they just don't last as long.

N:Quebec E:Boston W:Chicago S: Orlando
AlexusAnja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-09, 08:44 AM   #68
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Trader Score: (2)

profile.php?id=100001050339562 @DaveGS4 DaveGS4 The Real DaveGS4

You guys remind me I still need to get my box installed - sitting in my garage for some time now.

So folks with the darker Ultra cover noticed a difference in the wood color? Did you give your VIN to Sewell when you ordered? When I held my new piece up to the old cover it looked like a pretty good match to me.

Note that Sewell posted a PDF that may help with the install for others who may not have done it yet (attaching again below). These are overkill and includes stuff you obviously don't need to do but good for showing assembly / disassembly of all the parts.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf davegs4.pdf (419.2 KB, 152 views)

*** Click image for team info! ***

LS430 Ultra * PCS * ML * Rear Fridge * Massaging and Reclining Rear Seats * Vaistech SL-I * Coastal Lockpick

Tundra SR5 5.7 and BMW E36 M3/4 track car (wife's)

** Want to put your PC to good use every night?** Click here to join the Club Lexus Folding Team and help find a cure for cancer and other diseases. May the force be with you.
DaveGS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-10, 07:09 PM   #69
kg19989
Pole Position

This is great. Thank you to all who have contributed!
kg19989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-14, 08:51 AM   #70
Tom57
Pole Position

Resurrecting old thread ... when replacing console ash tray with this compartment storage box #58810-50020, if the new wood grain cover doesn't match well, you can use the original ash tray frame and original matching wood grain cover simply by swapping out the lower ash tray portion with the storage box compartment (4 small phillips screws). The real shame is that Lexus should sell just the plastic storage compartment box with 12-volt outlet to replace the ash tray - the high cost of this nice feature / option is having to purchase the whole unit with another wood grain lid and underlying frame that could be re-used from the original ash tray box assembly.
- 17" hyper silver wheels, VaisTech MML, upgraded Nav to Gen 4

1995 LS400 - sold
1990 LS400 - sold
Tom57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-14, 11:48 AM   #71
empringham
Driver

man, thats super expensive for a little box while the LS has so much storage already.

IMO.
empringham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-14, 12:18 PM   #72
XJSFan
Pole Position

Wonder what else we could put there? Its useless with the ash tray...
XJSFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-14, 05:37 PM   #73
430THUNDER
Driver School Candidate

I just took out the chrome ash box. Leaves a nice big usable space. $0000
430THUNDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-14, 06:04 PM   #74
sgretchko
Driver

Was the part still available? If so, how much and from where did you purchase it?
sgretchko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-14, 06:44 PM   #75
BMW7_LS430
Lead Lap

Quote:
Originally Posted by 430THUNDER View Post
I just took out the chrome ash box. Leaves a nice big usable space. $0000
Yes, did the same long time ago. works fine for me.
I also removed inserts from rear doors that created some additional storage.

Fram Sure Drain Valve for sale on classifieds http://www.clublexus.com/forums/gene...rain-plug.html
BMW7_LS430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-14, 06:44 PM

Tags
2003, 430, ashtray, bin, console, es350, felt, latch, lexus, ls, ls430, parts, removal, replace, storage