LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Manual entry into Phonebook

Old 05-11-07, 05:32 PM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Manual entry into Phonebook

So far I'm having little luck with my 04 LS430 Bluetooth phone. I can't transfer phonebook from phone to Lexus - either entire book or one-at-a-time. Phone is a Samsung c417. Tried it both from phone's phonebook and from phone's SIM card.

Lexus website tells me this transfer can't be done with this phone, and apparently they're right. It says, though, that it is a phone Lexus tested-to-work-okay-with-Lexus 2004 LS430 Bluetooth system though. So what's the deal with the cars "Phonebook" then ? Can't it be populated manually ?

I get the phone to pair with the car and can make a call by manually entering phone #. (It's really easier to just use the phone itself, instead of this Bluetooth crap, but since I have it, I was hoping to use it.)

How can I add a phone # and name to the book manually ?

Two Lexus Customer Service reps couldn't help me today. Though they try hard, they're really not familiar with the whole Bluetooth phone thing.

Owners Manuals (both Lexus AND Samsung) help little. You'd think there would be a wrtten step-by-step procedure. They really seem to take you just so far, and then leave you hanging out there ......

Anyone familiar with doing this ?
Old 05-12-07, 07:41 AM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

Thanks for that info. That's what I'll do. Unbelieveable that the Lexus system does not allow manual entries to Phonebook. You would think that would be considered a basic function/design, especially knowing that all phones aren't capable of transfers.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 05-17-07, 11:17 AM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

Default For Madkow70:

I got the Siemens S56 phone, entered the address book into it, and paired it with my ls430. When I press TRANSFER PHONEBOOK, the screen tells me to "Send phonebook from phone". How do I do that ? I don't see any option on the phone allowing me to do that .......
Old 05-17-07, 01:03 PM
airtime

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I used my old Motorola Razr. The phone book feature of transfering the whole thing over never did work. Had to do it one name at a time. Time consuming but once its done, don't have to mess with it unti I add or delete a new number.
Old 05-17-07, 05:49 PM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

Hey Madkow, thanks a lot. It worked perfectly ! Entire phonebook transferred over to the car. Thanks for the posts. Without you, I'd have been pretty unhappy living with this Lexus bluetooth setup.

Thanks again.
Old 05-17-07, 08:27 PM
Paul B
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

For more on Bluetooth phone compatability, go to:

www.lexus.letstalk.com
Old 05-18-07, 11:15 AM
Paul B
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The phone list will tell you which Bluetooth features are supported for your particular phone. In my case, I use a Motorola RAZR through T-Mobile and it shows that you cannot mass update your phone directory, but can enter one at a time, which I did.

There may be some phones depicted that do allow a one time complete transfer of your cell phone directory, but I didn't check.
Old 05-18-07, 11:56 AM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

"The phone list will tell you which Bluetooth features are supported for your particular phone. In my case, I use a Motorola RAZR through T-Mobile and it shows that you cannot mass update your phone directory, but can enter one at a time, which I did.

There may be some phones depicted that do allow a one time complete transfer of your cell phone directory, but I didn't check."

I had checked that list, and saw that my phone (Samsung c417) was listed as incapable of complete or individual transfers. I thought it only reasonable to assume that if automatic transfers couldn't be done, that a "Lexus bluetooth" would, at very, very least allow MANUAL entry of data at the car's keypad. Well, that was a dumb assumption, I suppose.

I think the Lexus manual could advise LS430 owners that to use the Phonebook feature AT ALL, one must have a phone that allows such transfers and that such a basic feature is not included with a Lexus keypad.

That list you point out would have been much more helpful if it had included that basic information regarding the cars' (not the phones') abilities.
Old 05-19-07, 08:36 AM
KINGLS430
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The lexus Dealership i bought my 06 UL from took me to a local shop who did it for me while i was sitting there it took about 5 minutes to transfer the numbers not manually and connect the bluetooth and cost me nothing.
Old 05-19-07, 08:55 AM
cacman
Driver School Candidate

Default Entries for phone book

I too am very surprised to see that I can't load manual entries into my 04 ls430. I am a Verizon user, and best I can tell the only phone that Verizon has that will do what I would like is the Nokia 6256i. For the life of me I can't understand why Verizon would not have all their phone that are B/T phones be able to download the phone book. As I understand it, you can't even pay a fee to do it. Maybe if enough Verizon customers *****, then they will change their software.

All that being said, I just love my 04.
Old 05-19-07, 09:19 AM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

The bottom line, with this issue of entering a phonebook to the Lexus bluetooth, is this: (and MANKOW70 gets the credit for this)

Anyone can get a used Siemens S56 cell phone off eBay for practically nothing (I paid under $12 +shipping), and just use it as a tool for entering phone book data to the car over and over again. It really couldn't be any easier. It's very little money, and well-spent.

Here in Jersey, I've spent that much at a roulette table in 60 seconds, and walked away with absolutely nothing .......
Old 05-20-07, 05:32 AM
tvdias
Driver School Candidate

I had the same issue with Verizon Wireless phones, and the way I had to download my phonebook entries was to take my laptop which has bluetooth and register it with the Lexus. Then I used Outlook express to transfer my phone book entries, one at a time. It was a royal PITA, but it's done.....

Vern
Old 04-19-14, 08:40 AM
ralvy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ayonnebay
The bottom line, with this issue of entering a phonebook to the Lexus bluetooth, is this: (and MANKOW70 gets the credit for this)

Anyone can get a used Siemens S56 cell phone off eBay for practically nothing (I paid under $12 +shipping), and just use it as a tool for entering phone book data to the car over and over again. It really couldn't be any easier. It's very little money, and well-spent.

Here in Jersey, I've spent that much at a roulette table in 60 seconds, and walked away with absolutely nothing .......
My wife tried this on her ES300h 2014. She put a small list of contacts on an old phone and sync'd that phone to her car and the contacts got in fine. But when she then paired her normal phone to the car, all the contacts she transferred from her old phone disappeared.
Old 04-19-14, 09:12 AM
2GSKaizen
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ralvy
My wife tried this on her ES300h 2014. She put a small list of contacts on an old phone and sync'd that phone to her car and the contacts got in fine. But when she then paired her normal phone to the car, all the contacts she transferred from her old phone disappeared.
All cars since 2013 model year download the phonebook every time the phone pairs to the car, so there is no way to manually input numbers into the system anymore.