LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2006 LS430 Low tire pressure warning light

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-07, 11:15 AM
shaloo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 LS430 Low tire pressure warning light

My wife has an 2006 LS430 which I rarely drive. Last week, we went out to dinner and she let me drive it. I noticed the car pulling to the right, and commented to her that her right front tire must be low. Just about that time, a warning light came on indicating a low tire. So when we got home, I got out the air gauge, and sure enough, the right front only had about 24 lbs while the others had 32 lbs. So I filled up the tire and the light did not go out. So I got the book out, and it said I needed to initialize the system, but when I looked for the reset button down and to the left of the steering column, there wasn't one there. So I guess I don't have that system. So how do I get the light to go out without taking it to the dealer??
Old 04-02-07, 12:45 PM
Moogy
Pole Position

The button is actually above where your feet go on the drivers side (way towards the back). You'll need to open your driver door and move your driver seat back to stick your head under there and locate it (it's clearly marked TIRE). Once you have, simply remember where it is (there's 2 buttons and a dial - the tire button is closest to you as you sit in the drivers seat), start the car up, reach down, and hold it for 5 seconds while in Park - that'll reset the system.

Note that 24 lbs is pretty low, and it sounds like you could have a leak from a nail or something - examine the tire and see what you can find...

Last edited by Moogy; 04-02-07 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-02-07, 10:57 PM
wilkie1020
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the question & answer. I was looking for these switches today & couldn't find them in my new to me 2005 LS430. I just went out & found them.
Old 04-03-07, 03:23 AM
shaloo
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info.
Old 04-03-07, 06:55 AM
CG lover
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what type tire pressure monitor do we have in these cars,,??? ?? anyone know,,>>
Old 04-03-07, 01:10 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Its the older style one that measures deflation by the number of revolutions of the tire (verses the other side). But the positive side is that it fits aftermarket wheels much more easily then the newer ones. You can read more about it in the wheels forum.
Old 04-03-07, 01:20 PM
Moogy
Pole Position

I miss the pressure monitors on my Z06 that told me the exact PSI in each tire...
Old 04-30-07, 07:45 PM
Tom_analog
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=Moogy;2524665]The button is actually above where your feet go on the drivers side (way towards the back). You'll need to open your driver door and move your driver seat back to stick your head under there and locate it (it's clearly marked TIRE). Once you have, simply remember where it is (there's 2 buttons and a dial - the tire button is closest to you as you sit in the drivers seat), start the car up, reach down, and hold it for 5 seconds while in Park - that'll reset the system.

QUOTE]

Thank you Moogy ...

I just had a 30K mile service on my 04 LS430.
On the way home from the dealer, the light went on!

With your tip, I was able reset the warning...
Old 05-02-07, 11:08 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

does the red triangle show up with this warning also??? or just the low tire pressure warning only.
Old 04-14-14, 06:28 PM
azbyffolke
Driver School Candidate

I'm reviving this old thread because I've go a weird problem. My '06 LS has the two buttons and the dial referred to in this post but the buttons are marked "Set" and "Key." I've crawled around under the dash until I'm in pain looking for the "Tire" button but no luck. Can anyone explain this to me (and, of course, how to turn off the damned light). Thanks.
Old 04-14-14, 08:49 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

The reset button for the TPWS is really low on the dash. Like just slightly above ankle height on drivers right leg. If your neck and back do not hurt keep bending, twisting and going lower till they do then you will see the button. Completely stupid place to put a button. Gotta love automotive engineers.
Old 04-15-14, 02:13 AM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi, GrandLS4. Just read your earlier post re the design of the TPMS in the LS430.
There was some discussion about the rotation rate comparison baseline in another thread in the last couple of months.
Do you have a reference for the baseline being the rotation rate of the opposite side tire?
I believe that it is actually the rate measured on the same tire when you "initialize" the system, but am open to correction.
If it were the opposite side tire, you would get the warning when driving in circles.
Thanks for your input.
Old 04-15-14, 08:18 AM
azbyffolke
Driver School Candidate

Jabberwock,
I looked high and low all over under the dash. The only buttons I saw were the two next to the already referred to twist **** and they were labelled "Key" and "Set." These are oriented front/ back next to a small **** in a black plastic recess 'about' 3 inches square. From everything I've read this seems to be the location the "Tire" and "Start" buttons are supposed to be in. Does anyone else have these "Key" and "Set" buttons? What do they do?
Old 04-15-14, 08:42 AM
schack
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by azbyffolke
Jabberwock,
I looked high and low all over under the dash. The only buttons I saw were the two next to the already referred to twist **** and they were labelled "Key" and "Set." These are oriented front/ back next to a small **** in a black plastic recess 'about' 3 inches square. From everything I've read this seems to be the location the "Tire" and "Start" buttons are supposed to be in. Does anyone else have these "Key" and "Set" buttons? What do they do?
My buttons are labeled "smart" for the smart key and "tire set" for the tires. I think you use your button labeled "set" for the tires. Your button labeled "key" is for the smart key system. There is no "start" button but since it so hard to see someone probably thought it said start instead of smart. Use a flashlight and a mirror and you'll see the buttons much more easily.
Old 04-15-14, 08:48 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by azbyffolke
Jabberwock,
The Key button turns off the smart key option - it is used when the car will not be used for long periods - turning off smart key will lower battery usage when car is not used for long periods of time.

The Reset button is used to reset the tire pressure monitoring system.

I think the small **** controls the volume of sounds the car makes - can't remember which sounds - misc beeps and squeaks, etc. but I could be easily be totally wrong on that

Last edited by Jabberwock; 04-15-14 at 08:51 AM.

Quick Reply: 2006 LS430 Low tire pressure warning light