LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

How to change high tail light (3rd brake light)

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-06, 12:01 AM
sneaky1371
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to change high tail light (3rd brake light)

Hi, fellow Lexus owners/lovers,
I am new to the forum, but I haven't seen this question asked before. I am trying to replace the high tail light on the rear deck, but I haven't figured out how to open up the assembly. I didn't want to damage the darn thing. The dealer is trying to charge me $30 + the bulb. Should I open it from inside the cabin or in the trunk? My LS430 is a 2001 model. Thanks in advance for the help.

Sneaky
Old 08-08-06, 07:27 AM
lnguyenh
Pole Position

You could buy a pair (sold in pair) at local autozone for $7.00. Open up the trunk, pull the cover off (kinda velcro thing) and twist out the one that went bad. There are 3 of them.

It should help if you have small hands and willing to get hurt a bit! Lexus designed a terrible way to change light bulbs! There are no room at all!
Old 08-08-06, 09:11 AM
FLIPPU
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on my 2004, to get to it and have some room to work with, I had to remove the Plastic Runner on the opening of the trunk..that is the plastic piece that the bumper sits on. to do this, you have to remove both the Trunk NET clips (by unscrewing them) on the top and the 2 #8 bolts on the bottom.

Then you will need to remove the 3 plastic clips at the bottom of the plastic piece. Gently pull the plastic piece upwards to release 3-4 pressure clips.

Next is to remove the top cover (carpeted piece) for the navigation by taking out one plastic clip. (I'm assuming you are replacing the bulb/s on the passenger side). After this is removed, you will now have more room to take the side panels out.

Next is to take out the side panels by removing another plastic clip and pulling them away.

Now you have access to the entire rear lights and you can unscrew/unplug whatever bulb you need to replace..if there is still not enough room...then unplug the tail light and unscrew all 3 nuts #8 to remove the whole assembly and do it from the outside.

I hope this is not tooo confusing.

Mike
Old 08-08-06, 11:14 AM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Mike, he's asking about the 3rd brake light (high mount brake light) on the rear deck, not the tail lights.

If it's anything like previous generation LS's, all you would need is a flathead screwdriver to pry open the subwoofer/brake light cover in order to get access to the brake light bulbs.
Old 08-08-06, 11:27 AM
FLIPPU
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EXE.UCF10
Mike, he's asking about the 3rd brake light (high mount brake light) on the rear deck, not the tail lights.

If it's anything like previous generation LS's, all you would need is a flathead screwdriver to pry open the subwoofer/brake light cover in order to get access to the brake light bulbs.
oooopppsss...MY MISTAKE...... duh, i need sleep!!!

Mike
Old 08-08-06, 08:29 PM
alextv
Advanced

Received 146 Likes on 129 Posts

Last year I did this and posted it in the maintenance section. It is extremely simple. Do not use any tools at all or you will damage the package tray. Push the unit towards the trunk and lift up. Once it comes off you will see the tabs and the way they are supposed to be. The entire process can be done in 2 minutes.
The following users liked this post:
jazzygirl (06-04-23)
Old 08-08-06, 09:14 PM
lnguyenh
Pole Position

Originally Posted by FLIPPU
oooopppsss...MY MISTAKE...... duh, i need sleep!!!

Mike
Me too
Old 05-24-07, 07:59 PM
ragabnh
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by alextv
Last year I did this and posted it in the maintenance section. It is extremely simple. Do not use any tools at all or you will damage the package tray. Push the unit towards the trunk and lift up. Once it comes off you will see the tabs and the way they are supposed to be. The entire process can be done in 2 minutes.
I tried to push the unit towards the windshield but it did not move, is it very hard to push and lift or I am missing something here.
Old 05-24-07, 08:23 PM
cdnguy
Driver

Here's my post from another thread.

Well, I finally figured out how to remove the housing. You have to move it 1/2" to the left, then lift it straight out. Then you can remove the connector wire, and the bulb assembly to replace the bulb.

This is for an '02 430, but I think you're the same.
Old 05-24-07, 09:08 PM
ragabnh
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Thanks a lot, I did it per your instruction. You are a great guy.
Old 05-25-07, 09:09 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

anybody upgraded their high tail lights to the newer LED lights yet... I think those look much better...
Old 01-21-08, 06:50 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well just got this CPO LS430 but now I notice that the 3rd brake light is not working. Shot off an email to my dealer but they tell me it is a wear and tear item. Tried moving it 1/2" to the left and she will not lift up. With someone with an '04 to '06 shed some light (pun intended) on how I can change this thing before I rip my dealer a new hole..

Much thanks in advance!!

Ken

Last edited by 2SAVVY; 01-21-08 at 09:37 PM.
Old 01-21-08, 09:59 PM
teamplayer
Lead Lap

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

From inside the car, slide the 3rd brake light housing to the left then pull back.

Do not pry on it. It should NOT require much effort!!!

Btw, All the LS430 are the same.
Old 01-23-08, 06:49 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

teamplayer,

Tried what you posted sliding to the left and it moves about a 1/4" but when I pull back she does not move one bit. Dealership was nice enough to FedEx me the bulb (See picture below) but I still can't get access to the old bulb..

What am I doing wrong??

Push comes to shove I will get it done when my guy tints the windows next month since he has to remove the 3rd brake light to do the tint. Just like to get this done sooner rather than later due to it being illegal to drive in Canada without the 3rd brake light.

Much thanks in advance if you have any further suggestions for this '05 LS.

Ken
Attached Thumbnails How to change high tail light (3rd brake light)-dscf0078.jpg  
Old 01-23-08, 07:47 PM
teamplayer
Lead Lap

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

I just took a quick look and that's what you're supposed to do.

Slide it to the left (towrd the passenger side of the car) about 1/4"-1/2" and pull toward you. If you're having a tough time pulling it toward you, try tilting the back side (side nearest to you) of the 3rd brake light assembly upward and slide it toward you. It should work.

I have a 2004 LS430 and I am sure it's all the same. The pic of the bulb is the same as mines.

Could be that the fitment is still tight, if the 3rd brake light housing was never removed before. LMK if you have any more problems. If you need me to take some pics and post it up, I can do so.

Quick Reply: How to change high tail light (3rd brake light)