LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

How to change high tail light (3rd brake light)

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-09, 07:27 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Here are my pics, excuse the dirty car keeps raining here.

Name:  LED3rdBrakeLight3.jpg
Views: 4160
Size:  56.3 KB

Name:  LED3rdBrakeLight4.jpg
Views: 4165
Size:  44.3 KB

Name:  LED3rdBrakeLight1.jpg
Views: 4183
Size:  65.5 KB

Name:  LED3rdBrakeLight2.jpg
Views: 4160
Size:  62.6 KB
The following users liked this post:
S2R (03-24-21)
Old 05-14-09, 05:16 AM
Tee

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
She has a lead foot, so it was hard to keep up in my RX.
Alex she sure does, you know a lead foot =

My wife drives like that in my car and her RX too, one day she is going to get pulled over.
Old 05-14-09, 06:48 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Life don't work like that...

Originally Posted by Tee
Alex she sure does ...
My wife drives like that in my car and her RX too, one day she is going to get pulled over.
Yes, but unfortunately like doesn't work like that. She's never even been pulled over for anything and she's a heavy accelerator on the merges, drives 80 consistently without ever looking at the speedo.

I've been pulled over three times my whole life. Once on the turnpike for doing 70 on 65. In the mountains doing 32 on 25. And on a local road doing 34 on a 30. All three times had to have been quota time. Two of the three the officer gave me a break and wrote me up for something else stupid so I don't get a speeding ticket.

It's all LUCK !!! LUCK !!!

I do see that you got the multiple SMD diode LED lights. I didn't look inside the unit to see if there was reflective material on the back, would imagine so, but if not, wonder if sticking foil in there would help bounce the beams around and create more lighting? ... hem...
Old 05-14-09, 07:25 AM
Tee

Alex,

There is reflective material on the back, I hit the inside with a can of air duster and cleanend the lense before putting it back. Foil might work but i think it is plenty bright.
Old 05-14-09, 10:14 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Light bright in the sky tonight...

Originally Posted by Tee
Alex,

There is reflective material on the back, I hit the inside with a can of air duster and cleanend the lense before putting it back. Foil might work but i think it is plenty bright.
Oh yeah, it's bright enough for sure to serve the purpose of alerting the driver behind that you've stepped on your brakes. I'm saying it's not as bright as an incand. bulb.

Next best would be "KNIGHT RIDER" style, and have a whole bar across that scans left and right.
Old 05-23-09, 11:39 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mines just burned out so i just ordered the one that alexus posted up a link to, also ordered some exhaust tips and will be replacing my license plate bulbs with led blue/white ones this week when i'm not lazy also...
Old 06-05-09, 05:42 PM
DOIMTX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Stop light (3rd brake light)

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Installation is reverse and then you're done. I thought I would need the load resistor, but when I tested, the "blown light" did not come on. So, I either have a bad indicator, or this LED does not trigger the indicator. Very strange, but who knows... it didn't trigger for me.
Want to thank you for the pictures. The owner manual sucks
Old 09-07-10, 01:17 AM
CelsiorAUS
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a quick one guys. I bought some LED Replacements but they are not working. Could this be due to one of the rear tail brake lights being out too?

kudos on the karate chop too lol
Old 09-07-10, 01:58 AM
teamplayer
Lead Lap

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Try turning the bulb around. LED's are polarity sensitive. I doubt the other bulbs have anything to do with it.
Old 04-09-11, 11:48 AM
trock001
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default High Brake Light 2004 LS430 These directions work

I just followed the following directions and they work perfectly.

PUSH BRAKE LIGHT HOUSING DOWN - SLIDE TO THE LEFT (towards passenger side) about 1/4" to 1/2" then LIFT UP slightly and pull TOWARDS you then the rest is straightforward. REMEMBER to LIFT up just a little as the clips break easily.
The following users liked this post:
ECB (01-09-19)
Old 04-09-11, 04:07 PM
bfg23
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
anybody upgraded their high tail lights to the newer LED lights yet... I think those look much better...
You have any idea where to get those from apart from japan?
I have seen a few for sale in Japan, but seem waay to expensive.

I was thinking of rigging something like this up in the high mount stop light to match my led tails. 2 of these side by side.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/DE3022-3175-D...item230b9dbbf0
Old 01-30-13, 05:32 PM
mirlev
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cdnguy
Here's my post from another thread.

Well, I finally figured out how to remove the housing. You have to move it 1/2" to the left, then lift it straight out. Then you can remove the connector wire, and the bulb assembly to replace the bulb.

This is for an '02 430, but I think you're the same.
You good! thanks a lot!
Old 01-31-13, 04:16 PM
Forbidden
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Just did mine. Instructions were spot on. Took me longer to open the package that to do the job. Thanks guys
Old 09-13-13, 07:43 AM
corbryant
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cdnguy
Here's my post from another thread.

Well, I finally figured out how to remove the housing. You have to move it 1/2" to the left, then lift it straight out. Then you can remove the connector wire, and the bulb assembly to replace the bulb.

This is for an '02 430, but I think you're the same.
Man, if you're ever in Dallas, stop by and I'll you a beer. Or a steak. Or a hooker if you're into that sort of thing. I've got a mobile tint guy here tinting the windows on my white IS250 with tan interior. He cuts around the break light housing and it looked like CRAP. With the beige housing, black tint and white car. He explains that the entire package tray has to come out and you can't do that with the trunk hinges in place, yada-yada. 20 seconds searching here, and I find this. I went out in the garage and in literally 5 seconds had it sitting on the roof.

<sigh> Now he gets to peel tint and redo it. Or am I an ******* for that? He seems to think so. I'm sorry, but this is the first nice car I've owned and I'll be damned..
Old 08-21-15, 03:38 AM
PersianOne
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Tried to get the housing out, couldn't do it, tried for about 20 minutes and nothing. Found this thread, tried sliding to the left etc.. Nothing worked. Was kinda pissed so I just karate chopped it twice and it came off!!! Was so excited.. Thanks for the help guys!

Quick Reply: How to change high tail light (3rd brake light)