LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Key Programming 2002 LS430

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-12, 02:16 AM
maniek_LS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I bought two used SMART master keys (three buttons) and programmed car to start after first try.
Procedure I used was this
Program transponder:
1. Make sure all doors and windows are closed.
2. Insert Master key into the ignition cylinder.
3. Cycle the ignition cylinder from On to OFF five times.
4. Open and close the driver side door 6 times.
5. Remove the Master Key and insert the new duplicate key.
6. The new key will be registered after 60 seconds. The THEFT light on the dashboard will go out, indicating that programming has been completed.

BUT...
I cannot program remote entry nor SMART functions
Tried all methods from this thread and after I press both Lock + Unlock buttons my doors cycle two times every time - means error.
I checked using TiS that I have free space for new keys (only one master registered and do sub-keys).

Any ideas ?
Maybe used keys cannot be programmed for remote wireless access & SMART ? Unfortunately there are no labels on back of those keys.
What is and where is printed key ID ? I checked in TiS - it wait for 5 digit string (no letters). Can someone send me an example how this code looks like ? Maybe it can be found inside of transponder (on key mainboard or any cpu) ?
Thanks,
Old 03-14-13, 10:02 PM
ttomasic
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just purchased a used 2002 LS430 and needed to add 2 additional master keys, one with keyless entry and one without. I purchased the 2 keys from Sewell Lexus online with great satisfaction (parts #89070-50660 and 89785-60180). I now have 4 keys, 2 masters with keyless entry, 1 regular master, and 1 valet key. Thanks to all the prior posts which helped guide the programming of my new keys. It took some additional trial and error on both sets of instructions, but I eventually got the pattern figured out for me. Hope my additional notes help you!

Keyless Entry Programming. Lock. Unlock. Trunk. (TTT notes)
1. Sit inside the car. Close the driver’s door. All other doors closed also.
2. Lock the doors with the lock button.
3. Start the car with the original working master key. Wait a few seconds. Turn off the car and remove the original working master key.
4. Open the driver’s door by pulling on the handle. Do not unlock with the button or manually unlock. Just pull the handle and Open the door. Driver’s door is now Open.
5. Within 5 seconds, Insert and Remove the original working master key from the ignition switch TWICE. (In Out In Out).
6. Within several seconds, Close and Open the driver’s door TWICE. (Close Open Close Open).
7. Insert and Remove the original working master key from the ignition switch. (In Out).
8. Close the driver’s door. (Close).
9. Within several seconds, Open and Close the driver’s door TWICE, adding one final Open. (Open Close Open Close Open).
10. Insert original working master key into the ignition switch.
11. Close the driver’s door. (Close).
12. Switch ignition ON then OFF ONE TIME only - this will put the car in ADD mode.
13. Remove the original working master key from the ignition.
14. System should now Lock and Unlock vehicle one time automatically.
15. Within several seconds, on the new key being programmed, press and hold UNLOCK button followed immediately with LOCK button so that you are holding down both buttons at the same time. Hold them for a few seconds. Release the buttons. (The original instructions indicate to depress the buttons simultaneously, which did not seem to work for me after several tries, so I varied how to push the buttons.)
16. Within 3 seconds, press and release UNLOCK button.
17. System should now Lock and Unlock the car once to confirm registration of the new key. (or twice to indicate registration has failed per the original post)
18. Exit programming mode by opening driver’s door.
19. Test Keyless Entry functions on the new key. Lock. Unlock. Trunk.
These steps FINALLY worked for me!!! Good luck!!! TTT

Security Immobilizer Programming. Start Engine. (TTT notes)
1. Have all windows up and doors shut.
2. Stand outside the vehicle.
3. From outside, Lock the doors with the original working master key by pressing LOCK button.
4. From outside, Unlock the driver’s door with the original working master key by pressing UNLOCK once.
5. Enter the vehicle, and close the driver’s door. Press the lock button (by the window switches) once to lock the doors.
6. Start the car for about 5 seconds, then turn the car off, and remove the original working master key.
7. Insert the original working master key back into the ignition.
8. Within 35 seconds, do the following (Make these next moves very precise and without any variation in your motions, which seemed to help):
a) Turn the key to the ACC position, being careful not to turn too far. (key in ACC position)
b) Turn the key from ACC to ON position five times ending in the ACC position. (ON ACC, ON ACC, ON ACC, ON ACC, ON ACC); do this somewhat quickly in about 1 second cycles for each ON ACC motion.
c) Open and Close the driver's door SIX times. (Open Close Open Close Open Close Open Close Open Close Open Close). Do not unlock the door with the button – just pull the handle and the door will unlock during your first Open.
d) Remove the original master key
9. Within 10 seconds insert New Key into the ignition, and turn to "ON".
10. Leave the New Key inserted until the red security light stops flashing (mine took about 60 seconds; other posts say up to 90 – 120 seconds).
11. After the flashing stops, remove New Key from ignition.
12. Depress the brake pedal forcefully ONCE to exit the programming mode.
13. Wait 15 seconds to allow the computer to reset.
14. Test New Key by inserting into ignition. The red security light should go off. Attempt to start the vehicle.
Old 09-18-13, 12:21 PM
AmdEmAll
Driver School Candidate

Ive tried everything in here and I still cannot get the car to pick up the immobilizer part of the key.

I programmed the remote part fine.. locks and unlocks and does trunk. The key will turn the ignition just not start.

Is there a way to clear the keys? Or should I just bite the bullet and go to Lexus and be out $65??

EDIT: just tried it a bunch more times and still no go, is my key not the master key? When I got the car I received two keys.. one with a fob built in which im using and the other was just the metal part like it broke.

Last edited by AmdEmAll; 09-18-13 at 02:17 PM.
Old 09-23-13, 05:57 AM
ttomasic
Driver School Candidate

Sorry to hear of the trouble. i tried mine for hours and dozens of times also. Actually wore out the battery at one point. I actually had made an appointment w Lexus out of frustration. i was ready to give up, but my instructions on Post #47 (ttomasic March 2013) finally worked on the very last attempt! i was able to then program two other keys by following the instructions above exactly - on the first try. Now I have 4 total keys.

Before following these steps, Start the engine with your working Master, and then turn it off. Then exit the car and begin following all of the instructions.

I hope you have an original master key that can start the car (black base to the key, and not a light gray-which is the Valet only). That is what you need to program another key. Patience, and follow exactly and be precise with the moves and turns of the keys. Best of luck to you! If it does not work, visit Lexus.
Old 09-23-13, 07:19 AM
groomerz
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i also had problems with my 2002 and my trick was the on / off key sequence . I think in translation to english something was lost. It is On/ to Acc not on/ off like instructions say. It is 1 key click back and forth . the above poster also talks of the on to acc also. I followed the standard prodcedure but changed on/off to on/acc and it worked 1st time. Be quick which i am sure you are after so many attempts
Old 09-25-13, 09:53 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

I just bought a ls430 05. One of the 2 fobs I can unlock and start car when pressing buttons and putting the key in the ignition but it does not sense it or let me start with keyless. Which part of the instructions I need to perform to make it work?

Would appreciate your advice
Old 06-24-14, 05:10 AM
cardenje
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ttomasic
I just purchased a used 2002 LS430 and needed to add 2 additional master keys, one with keyless entry and one without. I purchased the 2 keys from Sewell Lexus online with great satisfaction (parts #89070-50660 and 89785-60180). I now have 4 keys, 2 masters with keyless entry, 1 regular master, and 1 valet key. Thanks to all the prior posts which helped guide the programming of my new keys. It took some additional trial and error on both sets of instructions, but I eventually got the pattern figured out for me. Hope my additional notes help you!

Keyless Entry Programming. Lock. Unlock. Trunk. (TTT notes)
1. Sit inside the car. Close the driver’s door. All other doors closed also.
2. Lock the doors with the lock button.
3. Start the car with the original working master key. Wait a few seconds. Turn off the car and remove the original working master key.
4. Open the driver’s door by pulling on the handle. Do not unlock with the button or manually unlock. Just pull the handle and Open the door. Driver’s door is now Open.
5. Within 5 seconds, Insert and Remove the original working master key from the ignition switch TWICE. (In Out In Out).
6. Within several seconds, Close and Open the driver’s door TWICE. (Close Open Close Open).
7. Insert and Remove the original working master key from the ignition switch. (In Out).
8. Close the driver’s door. (Close).
9. Within several seconds, Open and Close the driver’s door TWICE, adding one final Open. (Open Close Open Close Open).
10. Insert original working master key into the ignition switch.
11. Close the driver’s door. (Close).
12. Switch ignition ON then OFF ONE TIME only - this will put the car in ADD mode.
13. Remove the original working master key from the ignition.
14. System should now Lock and Unlock vehicle one time automatically.
15. Within several seconds, on the new key being programmed, press and hold UNLOCK button followed immediately with LOCK button so that you are holding down both buttons at the same time. Hold them for a few seconds. Release the buttons. (The original instructions indicate to depress the buttons simultaneously, which did not seem to work for me after several tries, so I varied how to push the buttons.)
16. Within 3 seconds, press and release UNLOCK button.
17. System should now Lock and Unlock the car once to confirm registration of the new key. (or twice to indicate registration has failed per the original post)
18. Exit programming mode by opening driver’s door.
19. Test Keyless Entry functions on the new key. Lock. Unlock. Trunk.

Security Immobilizer Programming. Start Engine. (TTT notes)
1. Have all windows up and doors shut.
2. Stand outside the vehicle.
3. From outside, Lock the doors with the original working master key by pressing LOCK button.
4. From outside, Unlock the driver’s door with the original working master key by pressing UNLOCK once.
5. Enter the vehicle, and close the driver’s door. Press the lock button (by the window switches) once to lock the doors.
6. Start the car for about 5 seconds, then turn the car off, and remove the original working master key.
7. Insert the original working master key back into the ignition.
8. Within 35 seconds, do the following (Make these next moves very precise and without any variation in your motions, which seemed to help):
a) Turn the key to the ACC position, being careful not to turn too far. (key in ACC position)
b) Turn the key from ACC to ON position five times ending in the ACC position. (ON ACC, ON ACC, ON ACC, ON ACC, ON ACC); do this somewhat quickly in about 1 second cycles for each ON ACC motion.
c) Open and Close the driver's door SIX times. (Open Close Open Close Open Close Open Close Open Close Open Close). Do not unlock the door with the button – just pull the handle and the door will unlock during your first Open.
d) Remove the original master key
9. Within 10 seconds insert New Key into the ignition, and turn to "ON".
10. Leave the New Key inserted until the red security light stops flashing (mine took about 60 seconds; other posts say up to 90 – 120 seconds).
11. After the flashing stops, remove New Key from ignition.
12. Depress the brake pedal forcefully ONCE to exit the programming mode.
13. Wait 15 seconds to allow the computer to reset.
14. Test New Key by inserting into ignition. The red security light should go off. Attempt to start the vehicle.
I call this Lexus key replacement operation the "Lexus dealer's full employment procedure".
Old 11-28-14, 03:01 PM
splogue
Driver School Candidate

Post Clearing Keys

i just went through this whole thing again, and a quick search turned up my old thread.

I had to clear the codes to add a key, just like last time, because my slots were filled. I see now that I never posted the procedure for clearing out the old key codes. So, here it is, straight from the Volume 2 Lexus Service Manual, page BE-199. Just did it today, so I know it works.

1. Close all the doors and take out any keys.
2. Insert the original key in the ignition.
3. Turn the key from Off to On (two clicks) and back again six times.
4. Open and close the drivers door seven times.
5. Remove the original key.

If you did the procedure correctly, and quickly enough, the only key that will now work to start your car is the original key that you used for the procedure. Any other keys are now erased, so all slots are now available.

Now, add your additional keys by doing this:

1. Close the doors and remove any keys.
2. Insert the original key and turn it from Off to On (two clicks) and back again five times.
3. Open and close the drivers door six times.
4. Remove the key.
5. Insert the new key. Do not turn it.
6. Wait about one minute for the security light to stop flashing.

This will allow the new key to start your car. It still won't be able to remotely lock/unlock your car. Yep, that's a third thing, way back on page BE-101.

1. Close all doors except the drivers door. Take any keys out of the ignition.
2. Insert and remove the key to be programmed twice. Do not turn the key.
3. Close and open the drivers door twice.
4. Insert and remove the key once.
5. Close and open the drivers door twice.
6. Insert the key. Do not turn it. Close all the doors.
7. Turn the key to On (two clicks), then back Off.
8. Remove the key. The doors should lock and then unlock by themselves.
9. Press the lock and unlock buttons on the key at the same time.
10. Press any other button on the key. The doors will lock and unlock again.
11. Open a door to complete the operation. The key should now work to remotely lock/unlock your car.

Good luck!

I read through all this twice before posting it, plus I actually went through and did it earlier today, so it should be correct. If it doesn't seem to be working, you may not be doing it fast enough. There are short time limits around each operation, so if each step isn't done quickly enough, it times out and doesn't work.

Sean
Old 11-13-15, 09:07 PM
JonLS
Driver School Candidate

Default LS 430 success

Just programmed my 2001 LS430 key to remotely open doors using splogue's second method from page one of this thread. Thank you!!
Old 12-15-15, 12:06 PM
sallensr
Rookie

How and where do I get a copy of the service manual. I am totally clueless.

Thanking you all in advance
Old 02-11-16, 02:19 PM
S1w99
Driver School Candidate

After reading this thread, I'm not clear on which instructions are for changing the remote behavior of the FOB. I want all doors to unlock, not just the driver door with one click. Any instructions for that?
Old 02-17-16, 06:56 AM
My1st
Driver School Candidate

Here's instructions in the form of a TSB.

ELECTRICAL
EL005-01 August 10, 2001
Title:
PROGRAMMING WIRELESS DOOR LOCK REMOTE TRANSMITTERS Models:
'01 LS 430 & '02 SC 430 Introduction:
This bulletin clarifies the Repair Manual procedure titled "By Switch Operation" for the programming of new or existing wireless remote transmitters for the 2001 model year LS 430 and 2002 model year SC 430. Applicable ^ 2001 model year LS 430 vehicles. ^ 2002 model year SC 430 vehicles.

Warranty Information
Programming To Program Wireless Transmitters
Procedure
1. Begin with: ^ The driver's door open and unlocked. ^ Key out of the ignition. 2. Insert and remove the key from the ignition switch 2 times within 5 seconds. 3. Close and open the driver's door twice within 40 seconds. 4. Insert the key into the ignition and remove it. 5. Close and open the driver's door twice within 40 seconds. 6. Insert the key into the ignition. 7. Close the door. 8. Turn the ignition switch from "Lock" to "On" and back to "Lock" at about 1 second intervals to select the desired mode:. ^ 1 time for ADD mode. ^ 2 times for REWRITE mode. ^ 3 times for CONFIRMATION mode. ^ 5 times for PROHIBITION mode. 9. Remove the key from the ignition. 10. To confirm your selection of all modes except Confirmation mode, the power locks will now cycle "lock" to "unlock" a number of times corresponding to your key cycles in step 8. A. If Confirmation mode has been selected, the power door locks will now cycle (in 2 second intervals) a number of times corresponding to the number of transmitters currently registered. Opening the door will complete the procedure. B. If Prohibition mode has been selected, opening the door will complete the procedure. 11. For Add or Rewrite modes, within 40 seconds of Door Lock confirmation. A. Press both transmitter Lock and Unlock buttons simultaneously between 1 and 1.5 seconds and release. B. Within 3 seconds of step A, press the transmitter Lock button for more than 1 second and release. C. If the transmitter has been successfully programmed, the power locks will cycle "lock" to "unlock" once at this time. If there are problems with the procedure used up to this point, the locks will cycle twice, in which case you must go back and repeat the above process. D. If multiple remotes are to be programmed, repeat steps A-C. 12. Open the Driver's Door to complete the procedure.
Old 02-17-16, 07:00 AM
My1st
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by S1w99
After reading this thread, I'm not clear on which instructions are for changing the remote behavior of the FOB. I want all doors to unlock, not just the driver door with one click. Any instructions for that?
I'm not aware of changing the FOB behavior. However, you need the software to change the door lock and unlock features. Maybe the FOB behavior is also changed through the software???
Old 05-06-16, 05:04 PM
FreeBean
Driver School Candidate

Smile Key Programming for 2002 Lexus LS 430

These instructions originally posted by "splogue" worked for my 2002 Lexus LS 430

For adding the remote key functions and pairing the transponder; as in the service manuals.
The procedures are completely different from the ones I've seen so far on the web:

Adding remote key functions
(lock, unlock, trunk) , (NOT engine start):

all steps done with just new key
1. driver door open, other doors closed, no key in ignition
2. insert and remove new key in ignition twice (without turning it on)
3. close and open drivers side door twice
4. insert and remove key from ignition
5. close and open drivers side door twice
6. insert key in ignition
7. close all doors
8. turn ignition to ON (not Acc) then off
9. remove key
10. press lock and unlock on the key at the same time
11. press lock on the key
12. insert key in ignition
13. open door
14. wait 40 seconds
15. security light turns off. and new key functions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Programming the key transponder to the ignition (engine start):

1. driver door closed, key not in ignition
2. insert original working master key in ignition
3. turn ignition on/off five times (ON, not Acc)
4. open/close driver door six times
5. remove key
6. insert NEW key to be registered
7. wait 60 seconds
8. I think security light turns off. and new key is registered.

Last edited by FreeBean; 11-23-19 at 10:22 AM.
Old 08-26-20, 06:33 PM
lexusonly1
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I programed pre owned Toyota Celsior key ( three buttons) on my 2002 Lexus LS430 by Techstream , the key is starting engine only without remote lock and unlock.
by the way all methods which mentioned in this Thread (programing transponder and remote) could be done easily by Techstream
The following users liked this post:
RoyHarvey (12-10-21)

Quick Reply: Key Programming 2002 LS430