LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430
View Poll Results: Does it work?? Did it ever break??Repaired??
Yes it Broke and had it reapired....
27.55%
NO. The Suspension works like a charm...
66.42%
YES, my AIR CONTROLLER broke it...
6.04%
Voters: 265. You may not vote on this poll

LS430 UL with Air Suspension...Post your Issues Here

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-14, 02:17 PM
Snoman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Shock Replacements

Originally Posted by username32
I was wondering the same thing as the struts from 04-06 are a few hundred cheaper for then the 01 struts.
Recently installed slightly used (20K miles) '02 struts on my '01 LS430 Ultra. They work fine, just like new! There are some very reputable sellers of these parts on e-Bay, just keep searching..... I found these for $750 for the pair with a 30-day guarantee!
Old 01-14-14, 02:50 PM
ultm8mind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I'll do that, but there is no leaking at all it was parked in storage while I was deployed to Afghanistan. I'll do the soft reset because when I re-installed the battery I was on a hill
Old 03-25-14, 03:43 PM
glentamur
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I am having one problem that I am hoping someone can help me out with. It has to do with the air suspension.
I have been searching and reading threads for over a week now, but cannot find my exact problem.
When I got it the drivers side front was stuck on high.
I thought that it might have possibly been a faulty sensor (I read that when they fail they go to high to signal that there is a problem with it) but I couldn't find another instance of this where only 1 of the shocks go to high. They have all said either the back or the front goes to high (both shocks) and not just 1 side.
I tried several times switching to high, waiting around 20 minutes or so and then switching back to low, no luck. I also tried unplugging the fuse, waiting several minutes and then plugging it back in, with no results either.
The other 3 corners were working fine, it was just that one corner.
Also, I had no errors on the dash board. I’m not sure if there is errors for the air system though.

I decided to adjust the sensor rod to its lowest and got the car to come down even with the passenger side. I also am able to switch to high and it actually goes up now.

Does this mean that the sensor needs to be recalibrated?

I would really like to lower the car down farther but front driver side rod adjustment is at the lowest it will go without being shortened, while the other side is at the default height/setting of the rod

Does anyone know how I can adjust/recalibrate the sensor to get the rods at an even length again or do I just need to buy a new sensor??

Thanks in advance!

Glen
Old 03-25-14, 06:29 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by glentamur
I am having one problem that I am hoping someone can help me out with. It has to do with the air suspension.
I have been searching and reading threads for over a week now, but cannot find my exact problem.
When I got it the drivers side front was stuck on high.
I thought that it might have possibly been a faulty sensor (I read that when they fail they go to high to signal that there is a problem with it) but I couldn't find another instance of this where only 1 of the shocks go to high. They have all said either the back or the front goes to high (both shocks) and not just 1 side.
I tried several times switching to high, waiting around 20 minutes or so and then switching back to low, no luck. I also tried unplugging the fuse, waiting several minutes and then plugging it back in, with no results either.
The other 3 corners were working fine, it was just that one corner.
Also, I had no errors on the dash board. I’m not sure if there is errors for the air system though.

I decided to adjust the sensor rod to its lowest and got the car to come down even with the passenger side. I also am able to switch to high and it actually goes up now.

Does this mean that the sensor needs to be recalibrated?

I would really like to lower the car down farther but front driver side rod adjustment is at the lowest it will go without being shortened, while the other side is at the default height/setting of the rod

Does anyone know how I can adjust/recalibrate the sensor to get the rods at an even length again or do I just need to buy a new sensor??

Thanks in advance!

Glen
Believe it or not, that is how those cars are set up from the factory, the front driver side sit extra high while the opposite rear corner sit extra low. You did the perfect thing by lowering the front driver side rod to the lowest setting to even it out. Good job, now leave it alone.

If you want to lower it some more, you have to shortened the front driver side rod.

Your sensor is fine, is just the way the whole system works, it is a flawed design.

Last edited by BNR34; 03-27-14 at 10:51 AM.
Old 03-27-14, 03:28 AM
GaborL
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Question(s)

Just bought my second LS430, this one is an 04 UCF30L, ultra, whatever. Air ride and all the bells and whistles. Never had an ultra before, so I can't really tell IF my air ride is working as it should be. All I know is that the car does seem a little lopsided at times, really wavy on bumps, but otherwise drives great. I love the ultra upgrades, but I'm wondering if there's an issue with my set up, IF/WHEN I should invest in coilovers, etc. comments, concerns?
Also thinking about getting this "controller" everyone talks about, see if that'll make a difference. My precious 430 was a base model, and was slammed on Megan EZ streets. Wondering if I can use the air I have now to go that low, and how.
Old 03-27-14, 06:12 AM
ultm8mind
Lexus Test Driver

GaborL,The controller will be able to fix the "sag" these cars usually have(which is normally drivers side rear), as for the "wavy" I didn't have that issue. I am selling my controller. I Had it installed, it worked pretty good but then I removed the rims I had on because I need body mods to fit them. I used mine for like 2 weeks, it's in the classifieds here. I am going aftermarket air this month and do not need the controller anymore. I left my car sitting for almost a year when I went to Afghanistan and the sensor went on me while I was deployed. My shocks are still good, but instead of spending $900 for the sensor repair I am just opting for aftermarket air because I am doing a semi-show build. I guess the cars don't really like sitting, lol. Hope this helps.
Old 03-27-14, 06:32 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

My car sits great. But I will tell you that when you park on uneven surfaces it does sometime look a little lopsided when you come back in the morning. Also, cold weather affects air-shocks differently then warm.

A couple of observations, my driver side rear sensor adjustment is set 3 or 4 mm higher vs the passenger side rear but they are at the same height. Also, other members have lowered the sensor adjustments to the max low level and achieved nearly a 2" drop without any controller. All of these methods, including the data controller, have been shown to increase the likelihood of shock failure. If you are noticing a major drop overnight or that the compressor is kicking on a lot you most likely have a small leak. Bounciness is also a sign of a leak. Might want to try the sensor method first before spending $600 on a controller.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 03-27-14 at 07:22 AM.
Old 03-27-14, 07:09 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ultm8mind
GaborL,The controller will be able to fix the "sag" these cars usually have(which is normally drivers side rear), as for the "wavy" I didn't have that issue. I am selling my controller. I Had it installed, it worked pretty good but then I removed the rims I had on because I need body mods to fit them. I used mine for like 2 weeks, it's in the classifieds here. I am going aftermarket air this month and do not need the controller anymore. I left my car sitting for almost a year when I went to Afghanistan and the sensor went on me while I was deployed. My shocks are still good, but instead of spending $900 for the sensor repair I am just opting for aftermarket air because I am doing a semi-show build. I guess the cars don't really like sitting, lol. Hope this helps.
Just FYI, the sensor is $315 for the rear and $348 for the front. The air suspension computer is $1818.80

http://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.co...category=21754

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 03-27-14 at 07:13 AM.
Old 03-27-14, 06:44 PM
ultm8mind
Lexus Test Driver

What's the labor an hour over there in ATL, Lavish? I'll be there this weekend to drop my car off for body kit and aftermarket air install, also hitting up Import Alliance
Old 03-28-14, 02:17 AM
kkasaki
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

anyone have a way to check the air suspension system for leak? I know that if I haven't drove the car for a couple of day it would lower itself or the air is leaked out from the strut?
Old 03-28-14, 05:32 AM
UGKkllr
Intermediate

reading some of these posts makes me nervous about getting the data system controller for my car considering it has 119k miles and is a 2001
Old 03-28-14, 09:42 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ultm8mind
What's the labor an hour over there in ATL, Lavish? I'll be there this weekend to drop my car off for body kit and aftermarket air install, also hitting up Import Alliance
The dealer is $120 an hour and somewhat negotiable but they won't do aftermarket installations.

Summit has done some work on my previous LS400 and they are a quality shop. I think they are about $100 an hour.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/summit-auto-service-decatur
Old 03-30-14, 03:35 PM
UGKkllr
Intermediate

Just experienced my first issue with the factory air . Came outside and the front driver side is sitting a little high. Usually I can fit 4 fingers in the gap perfect, now its more like 5 fingers and the rear driver side looks like it is saggin, hardly any gap at all. Just bought this car and discovering more and more things that do not work right. I'm starting to think the ultra luxury models just had too many bells and whistles. I'm starting to wish I had bought any other trim but the ultra luxury. Bad enough I cannot find a cheap window to replace the drivers window, just that one window is 500 bux. This is starting to get very expensive qwik
Old 03-30-14, 04:55 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Let the car sit overnight on a flat surface (garage). Then take measurements from the floor to the center of each wheel and also the distance to the wheel cutout. Take those measurements to your Lexus dealer and let him make the necessary adjustments. This works for me.

Last edited by jayclapp; 03-30-14 at 04:55 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-30-14, 07:26 PM
GaborL
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Air suspension help/advice

Hi,
I just bought my second 430 last week, this one is an 04 ultra luxury with 107,xxxmiles. I've never had a UL before, so I'm not familiar with the package, but I'm a gearhead, as I'm sure most of is here are, so I have a pretty good idea of what it is and how it works.
My questions are as follows:
Is the air suspension adjustable, so personal preference? I like the "NORM" and "HIGH" settings the car came with, I just wish the factory height was a little lower. Is it possible to adjust the ride height sensors? Or will that only adjust the headlights?
Also, how can I tell if my shocks are good/bad. In NORM/NORM settings, the car feels smooth and comfortable. Not lose and wavey like a boat. In sport mode it stiffens up a little, and in HIGH, obviously the vehicle rises a little, but still feels solid.

Quick Reply: LS430 UL with Air Suspension...Post your Issues Here