LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Warren Brown's Review of the `06 LS430

Old 01-03-06, 04:09 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Warren Brown's Review of the `06 LS430

Warren Brown is a syndicated columnist who writes about cars for the Washington Post. This is an article about the LS from this past Sunday. Warren doesn't mention the forthcoming `07 LS in his article but, from the tone of the article, it's good that Lexus is about to revise its flagship car! The following is a cut-and-paste of the article. The only thing missing is his summary ("Nuts & Bolts") and conclusion that "the Lexus LS430 is an overall fine luxury car with many worthy, less expensive competitors."

Enjoy!

Luxury's Missing Ingredients

By Warren Brown
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, January 1, 2006; G01

With options, the price topped $70,000. But it didn't feel like a $70,000 car, and that was my problem with the Ultra Luxury version of the 2006 Lexus LS 430 sedan.

Seventy-thousand bucks is heady territory, a place where buyers expect more than fine quality and reliability, long the hallmarks of the Lexus Division and its parent company, Toyota Motor Corp.

Certainly, buyers of $70,000 cars expect comfortable rear seats. They should be able to ferry fussy family members and friends without hearing gripes about the back seats being "too small," or being "nicely upholstered, but a pain in the. . . ."

I heard such complaints from rear-seat passengers on different road trips through the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast regions.

I heard it from people with big and small bottoms, from folks old and young, male and female. I heard it so much, I decided to sit back there myself -- but not for more than 20 miles. They were right.

The leather was perfect. The stitching was impeccable. But the Lexus LS 430's rear seats and my rear end were in constant disagreement.

The bottom-oriented discord brought this query from my wife: "Are you sure this is a $70,000 car?"

I was sure. I had the sticker and all related pricing information. The base price was $56,525. The price as tested was $71,590, including $13,570 for the "Ultra Luxury" package "with Dynamic Radar Cruise Control," $800 for the "SP Euro-tuned Sport Suspension w/18-inch wheels," and a $695 destination charge.

But competition and technology have changed our perception of luxury.

Take those rear seats. More comfortable seating can be found in a Buick Lucerne or in a Lincoln Town Car for substantially less money. I've driven both, and have ridden in both as a rear-seat passenger. I find it almost impossible to sit in the rear seat of a Lincoln Town Car for more than five miles without falling into a deep, pleasant sleep. I should have that same level of comfort in a car costing $21,000 more.

Automotive savants may argue that the Lexus LS 430 is technically superior to the rivals I've mentioned. For example, there's the Lexus-trademarked Dynamic Radar Cruise Control, which helps the LS 430 driver avoid bumping into the car ahead. There's the rear-view camera, traction and stability control. The list of the car's technological goodies is seemingly endless.

So what?

Versions of the same technologies can be found in numerous other cars at lower prices. Consider General Motors Corp.

Beneath all of the opprobrium heaped upon General Motors is a GM truth that I've come to appreciate: The electronic gadgets installed in GM cars usually work exactly the way they were intended to work. They are simple, intuitive and highly functional. I have never had an electronic GM key fob that failed. But the key fob accompanying the LS 430 did. It failed to open the trunk; and it worked erratically for the side doors.

And there is this: Children nowadays expect a car wearing a luxury label to have rear video entertainment as standard equipment. They carry video screens in their pockets and book bags. They have them in their classrooms, and in their bedrooms at home. They have them in their Honda, GM, Ford and Nissan minivans. They expect to find them in a flagship Lexus car.

But the lone video screen in the LS 430 was the navigation screen in the front cabin; and that didn't cut it with the younger set.

"Where's the DVD screen?" asked godson Kyo.

"There's only one screen," I said, pointing to the navigation module.

"That's it? Really?" Kyo asked. "This is a Lexus?"

I assured him that it was.

He didn't believe me.

"We have a DVD player in our [Honda Odyssey] minivan," he said with the kind of sarcasm that can only issue from the mouth of an 11-year-old.

© 2006 The Washington Post Company
Old 01-03-06, 03:23 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I disagree strongly with the reviewer on the comfort of the LS back seat, I've been there for hours and it's wonderful....but the blurb on the side of the review concludes that overall the LS is a fine car.
Old 01-03-06, 03:36 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

It depends on how big his behind is, which he didn't say I think the rear seats of the LS430 is extremely comfortable too
Old 01-03-06, 04:07 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

I disagree with the rear seat review as well. I’ve driven my parents from Lansing, MI to Chicago, IL and back in their ’02 LS430 Ultra with stellar reviews. I always say, it’s better to be driven in that car then to drive it. Not because the car lacks something while driving, but because the rear seats are just so good.

And as for posterior size, I’m very thin and they aren’t so thin. But we all agree that those seats rock.
Old 01-03-06, 08:51 PM
lex430
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I specifically searched and picked out an 04' with UL for the rear seats! Took me 2+ months, and 40+ cars later.., I brought home my car.

Finally last week, I had the chance to have my sister drive me around, and i am able to sit in the back. I swear, I almost fell asleep with the massage turned on and some mellow music.

The review has stirred my curiosity now, gonna need to try out the backseat of a Lincoln for comparison.
Old 01-03-06, 10:07 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

This guy obviously is looking for the wrong items in the wrong car. A flagship model is not to be compared with a minivan. Thats like saying, why would my Minivan have power rear folding seats, yet this $70,000 lexus doesnt have power flat folding rear seats to carry cargo, and tools from the hardware store. The same reason a $196,000.000 AMG S65 doesnt have a rear entertainment system.

The reviewer does not fit within the luxury car buying segment, he's better off in a Lincoln towncacr, a Mercury Grand Marquies, or maybe a Buick
Old 01-04-06, 04:48 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
This guy obviously is looking for the wrong items in the wrong car. A flagship model is not to be compared with a minivan. Thats like saying, why would my Minivan have power rear folding seats, yet this $70,000 lexus doesnt have power flat folding rear seats to carry cargo, and tools from the hardware store. The same reason a $196,000.000 AMG S65 doesnt have a rear entertainment system.

The reviewer does not fit within the luxury car buying segment, he's better off in a Lincoln towncacr, a Mercury Grand Marquies, or maybe a Buick
I thought Warren's review was an honest assessment. By the way, your comment regarding his not fitting within the luxury car buying segment is misinformed. I've been reading his reviews for over 20 years, including one of his most recent about the Bugatti Veyron, and he doesn't often miss the mark. But, back to the matter of honest assessment, I personally LOVE Lexus cars - I own two right now and I've owned a total a five of them in my life thus far; however, I'm always open to Lexus improving its brand. For them to do that requires honesty - theirs, their customers, and the "car guys" who review and critique their cars. Frankly speaking, Lexus seems to be one of those manufacturers who is open to critical assessment. The overall and consistent quality of their products prove this point. As a Lexus lover and customer I do not want Lexus to become complacent about its products, as other car manufacturers have (including several in the so-called luxury segment). I think Lexus' parent, Toyota, deserves the "#1" in the world ranking it is about to receive and given that company's years-long tradition of excellence I am certain that Toyota will retain this title for a very long time. However, to remain #1 (and this includes Lexus) a company has to be aware of its environment (customers, competitors, market, etc.), be a change-agent, and be open to change. The latter meaning not to just tell us what we want and should have, but to listen to what we say we want and should have. This returns me to one of Warren's points, "the leather was perfect, the stitching impeccable", but the seats were uncomfortable. Instead of perceiving this as a negative comment, I saw this point as a communication to Lexus regarding what they want and need to hear about one of their premier products so that they can make it even better.
Old 01-04-06, 11:04 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by LeslieRC
I thought Warren's review was an honest assessment. By the way, your comment regarding his not fitting within the luxury car buying segment is misinformed. I've been reading his reviews for over 20 years, including one of his most recent about the Bugatti Veyron, and he doesn't often miss the mark. But, back to the matter of honest assessment, I personally LOVE Lexus cars - I own two right now and I've owned a total a five of them in my life thus far; however, I'm always open to Lexus improving its brand. For them to do that requires honesty - theirs, their customers, and the "car guys" who review and critique their cars. Frankly speaking, Lexus seems to be one of those manufacturers who is open to critical assessment. The overall and consistent quality of their products prove this point. As a Lexus lover and customer I do not want Lexus to become complacent about its products, as other car manufacturers have (including several in the so-called luxury segment). I think Lexus' parent, Toyota, deserves the "#1" in the world ranking it is about to receive and given that company's years-long tradition of excellence I am certain that Toyota will retain this title for a very long time. However, to remain #1 (and this includes Lexus) a company has to be aware of its environment (customers, competitors, market, etc.), be a change-agent, and be open to change. The latter meaning not to just tell us what we want and should have, but to listen to what we say we want and should have. This returns me to one of Warren's points, "the leather was perfect, the stitching impeccable", but the seats were uncomfortable. Instead of perceiving this as a negative comment, I saw this point as a communication to Lexus regarding what they want and need to hear about one of their premier products so that they can make it even better.
good read and assessment, anyone heard of constructive criticism?
Old 01-04-06, 11:25 AM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

every person that sat in my ls's back seat couldnt stop saying how comfortable they are and how quiet and sapcious the rear cabin was!!! im very disappionted at warren's review.....he seems to be a little baised and i have sat in the lucerne and it is one of the cheapest made car on earth and lincoln town car is somewhat better but not up to the standards of a flagship lexus.....comparing a no name lucerne to a world renowned ls430 is just plain and simply wrong.....
Old 01-05-06, 12:39 AM
drink300
Lexus Champion

Thumbs down Not a serious car review

That was NOT a car review. That was something entirely different. Seriously, what about reliability? What about power? What about transmission smoothness, cupholders that come out at the same speed as the drawer and clothes hangers? What about a sound system second to none? A ride quality that is beyond belief?

That was NOT a car review. That was a review of back-seat comfort. What a joke. If Motor Trend TV did that with every car, they'd be off the air in a year. Here's a little tip: Next time...review the ENTIRe car, not just 1/10 of a car.

drink300
2003 LS430 Custom Lux Parch/Ecru
Old 01-05-06, 09:01 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

i dont have a 430 but my backseat leaves just a little tobe desired, the materials are top notch but it could be a little bigger which i hope has been addressed with the longer wheel base version that is said to de coming out and i have been in the back seats of less expensive cars and it was more cushy. now i sat in the back of the 05 at the taste of lexus and it was quite nice and much better than my car so i personally would not have any complaints except for elbow space for 3 adults. i say all this to say that everyone has something that they can complain about in their car which doesnt mean it isnt a great car and for the most part that is what i think the guy was saying. my .02
Old 01-05-06, 09:14 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm with drink. How can a tirade over back seat comfort be construed as a car review? While reading this article I could picture Mr. Brown going, "F***, I hate Lexus but this damn car is too perfect!!! I have to find SOMETHING wrong with it! Crap, the best I can do is say the rear seats don't give me a shiatzu massage while sitting in them. Ok, poor rear seats. That's a good enough review."
Old 01-05-06, 11:30 AM
bluestar
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LeslieRC
I TOTALLY disagree with you and Warren's pov. It makes absolutely no sense to criticize back seat comfort when that is a strength of the LS. My '99 is very comfortable, I have sat back there a few times. Even if it is not as comfortable as he writes, who cares ? Do people buy cars because of rear seat comfort ? Warren should stick to reviewing old geezer cars and stay out of luxury cruisers like the LS. Car reviewers working for newspapers are in the wrong job..... Cannot expect robust and concise review from a newspaper bobsled masquerading as a car reviewer....
Old 01-05-06, 01:06 PM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

You people can't accept crticism at all but you sure know how to dish it out. He is not making snide comments about your Mother merely a seat!!!!
Old 01-05-06, 01:17 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, I believe what we're saying is, that you CANNOT call a rant about poor rear seat comfort an automobile review.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Warren Brown's Review of the `06 LS430