LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

My first DIY for the LS430...Here comes the BOOM...

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-07, 11:38 AM
TheCoolest
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bluegsx
yes the bottom comes out first...it is really easy...pulls straight up from the front of the seat on each side (one clip on each side in the front)...just pull straight up and the seat will go up and slide forward...there are a few bolts on the bottom side of the seat back and then the back will be free
Seat pulled up just like you said. Thank you very much.

Next problem. I did all this to get to the subwoofer, but I don't see how that's gonna happen. I could yank the board up to expose the subwoofer, but I don't want to be Yanking in my Lexus. How do I expose the Subwoofer? Thanks.
Old 08-04-07, 01:51 PM
bluegsx
Rookie

i removed the 3rd brake light (slide it about 1/4in to the left and it will come right out) and just tilted up the back deck and unbolted the sub and took it out...i didnt bother trying to take out the back deck...didnt hurt anything
Old 08-05-07, 12:57 AM
joncruz1
Driver School Candidate

Great Pics And Info Greatly Appreciated I Planned On Swapping Mine Out With The Free Air Pioneer One They Lots Of People Use When Fitting An Enclosure Would Be An Issue Like A Single Cab Truck!
Old 09-25-07, 03:42 AM
hksnlper
Pole Position

I am in need of a equal replacement of my ML sub in my 01 LS430 UL. I just want to use the stock amp with perfect fit design.. What is the best replacement I am not looking for power or bass just factory amp power is enough. Shed some light please.
Old 11-11-07, 06:15 PM
ivan67
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks xsuperjoex!

Just bought an LS430 Ultra with a blown subwoofer and your information was extremely helpful. I followed your steps and also went to Tweeters and got the sub from there. The fit is perfect and the fix was a whld lot cheaper than going to the dealer. Thanks again for sharing
Old 11-13-07, 03:42 PM
xsuperjoex
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ivan67
Just bought an LS430 Ultra with a blown subwoofer and your information was extremely helpful. I followed your steps and also went to Tweeters and got the sub from there. The fit is perfect and the fix was a whld lot cheaper than going to the dealer. Thanks again for sharing

It's always good to share.
Old 11-13-07, 06:47 PM
ivan67
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hksnlper
I am in need of a equal replacement of my ML sub in my 01 LS430 UL. I just want to use the stock amp with perfect fit design.. What is the best replacement I am not looking for power or bass just factory amp power is enough. Shed some light please.
The JL Audio model # is 8W0-4 This is for an 8 inch subwoofer with 4 ohm impedence
Old 12-17-07, 01:37 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry to bring up a old post.

I removed the back seat only to realize that I didn't need to, so this is a FYI for anyone in the future that runs into the mark levinson subwoofer issue.

a little clarity by some of you who's done this would have been very helpful.

I removed my subwoofer because I wasn't sure if my subwoofer was permanently damaged and needed replacement, or needed to be removed for repair.

If your hearing hearing some kind of crack but can still hear the bass, THIS MEANS YOUR SUBWOOFER SURROUNDS ARE TORN. Your subwoofer is not necessarily in need of replacement. Do not assume your sub is permanently damaged, this is EASILY repaired without the trouble of removing the subwoofer.

all you do is remove the grille (it comes out very easily) , use some silicon glue (from home depot 4 bucks) and glue the surround to the plastic ring. I have some pics and upload it tonight.

Last edited by mikemareen; 12-17-07 at 01:41 PM.
Old 12-17-07, 07:49 PM
anotherLS
Lexus Champion

thanks Mike...i noticed that on mine after i took it out....so i just decided to replace it, since i went through all that hassle of taking it out!
Old 12-17-07, 09:56 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

Here are some pics:

Just remove the grille and use some clear 3M silicon glue from home depot, just seal out the outer circle of the foam surround. Every Levinson subwoofer is going to have this problem sooner or later, the surround is poorly attached to the plastic ring. Weather and normal usage will easily detach the foam from the plastic ring.

It's quick, cheap and works great! sounds as good as new!!! save yourself time and 400 bucks for a brand new woofer!

and btw, the subwoofer is 2ohm (just as I thought) , NOT 16 OHM LIKE SOME OTHER FOO'S SUGGESTED. You can use a readily available dual 4 ohm subwoofer wired in parallel to give u a 2 ohm load. Just make sure it fits and efficient enough to be loud with around 40 watts.

Last edited by mikemareen; 12-17-07 at 10:03 PM.
Old 12-17-07, 11:19 PM
TinTin
Driver School Candidate

I kept holding off as I wasn't able to locate the 3rd bolt no matter where I looked for it in the plastic cover from the pull down arm rest, so gave up on it.
The glue seem to work great, thks "mikemareen". It sound just like new but the glue is just a little messy.
Old 12-18-07, 11:34 AM
TheCoolest
Driver School Candidate

Default Yahoo!

I have been waiting for a post like this for about 3 months. Racing to HD now to try this fix. I will post my results. Thanks!!!
Old 12-18-07, 12:34 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

the oriiginal DIY instructions are very vague. You have to bring down the armrest, then snap off the plastic shroud like cover, it just snaps off. You will see the middle bolt on the upper part of the seat.

but all of this is redundant as it is not even necessary.

as for messy....who cares! You put the grille cover over it and fixes the problem very affectively.

Originally Posted by TinTin
I kept holding off as I wasn't able to locate the 3rd bolt no matter where I looked for it in the plastic cover from the pull down arm rest, so gave up on it.
The glue seem to work great, thks "mikemareen". It sound just like new but the glue is just a little messy.
Old 12-19-07, 10:28 AM
TheCoolest
Driver School Candidate

Default IT works!!

Originally Posted by TheCoolest
I have been waiting for a post like this for about 3 months. Racing to HD now to try this fix. I will post my results. Thanks!!!
Got the clear silicone gel beaded around the woofer and, I know no one likes this song but good bass tester, blasted Ay Bay-Bay and it was perfectomundo!.

How do I give kudos?
Old 12-19-07, 12:43 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

no probz bro! I just wish some this was clarified when this post started.

Originally Posted by TheCoolest
Got the clear silicone gel beaded around the woofer and, I know no one likes this song but good bass tester, blasted Ay Bay-Bay and it was perfectomundo!.

How do I give kudos?

Quick Reply: My first DIY for the LS430...Here comes the BOOM...