LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

My first DIY for the LS430...Here comes the BOOM...

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-08, 06:44 PM
Gibenstein
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just ordered the JL AUDIO 8W0. Did not want to pay all the money for a ML replacement and since there are other people using it with no really bad reviews thought I would give it a go and order it. Got it for 58 bucks shipped on ebay.
Old 10-16-08, 07:38 PM
froboy272
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Gibenstein
Just ordered the JL AUDIO 8W0. Did not want to pay all the money for a ML replacement and since there are other people using it with no really bad reviews thought I would give it a go and order it. Got it for 58 bucks shipped on ebay.
let us know how it works out
Old 10-16-08, 11:10 PM
vamel
Driver School Candidate

You just wasted your money... I tried it myself and it didn't work, it cuts out on less than a half way of the volume... I also tried the KICKER CVT 2ohm and it was the same story.

the only sub I tried and it didn't cut out was the PIONEER TS-SW841D, the only one that was playing with no problems on the max level, and it's a free air as well, so if you want to get a replacment that will at least not mess up your amp is the Pioneer...

Good luck.
Old 10-16-08, 11:18 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

We really need to find out the impedance of thus sub using the proper method...someone must know someone who can do that test...
Old 10-17-08, 04:43 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

So dose the PIONEER TS-SW841D sound better than the OEM ML?
Old 10-17-08, 06:52 AM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Has anyone replaced the sub and run a seperate amp to it? Eventually I think that is what I'm going to do.
Old 10-17-08, 07:12 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer01
Has anyone replaced the sub and run a seperate amp to it? Eventually I think that is what I'm going to do.
Same here, I want an 8" driver that can hit mucgh lower than the stock. Plan on going with a beefier driver with a dedicated amp to drive it.
Old 10-17-08, 07:54 AM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Tee
Same here, I want an 8" driver that can hit mucgh lower than the stock. Plan on going with a beefier driver with a dedicated amp to drive it.
The only problem is that no matter how you slice it, it is still just an 8" sub. They don't have deep base and the ones that might wont fit in the space requirements. I'm thinking that setup will sound better than stock for sure though.
Old 10-17-08, 03:00 PM
Gibenstein
Pole Position

Oh well I guess I will just replace it and turn the bass down. Anything will probably sound better then my blown/cracking ML sub. But man I did not see alot of negative comments on the JL W0 sub replacement. Anyone else want to shed some light on the situation?
Old 10-21-08, 05:19 AM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

I guess oversteer was correct. The subwoofer is 12 ohm.

From Lexus:

Recently you submitted a question to the Lexus Customer Satisfaction Department.

Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

Subject
ML subwoofer

Discussion Thread
Response (Stefanie Oda) 10/20/2008 04:34 PM
Dear Mr. :

Thank you for contacting Lexus Customer Satisfaction. Your continued patience is appreciated.

Lexus advises there are 12 ohms for the 8" subwoofer in Mark Levinson system of your LS 430.
If you require further assistance, please respond to this e-mail, or contact Lexus Customer Satisfaction at 1-800-255-3987, Monday through Friday, 5:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., or Saturday, 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Pacific Time.

Sincerely,

Stefanie N. Oda
Lexus Customer Satisfaction
Response (Stefanie Oda) 10/18/2008 01:15 PM
Dear Mr. :

Thank you for contacting Lexus Customer Satisfaction. Your concern is important to Lexus, and we appreciate the time you have taken to share your thoughts. We are dedicated to providing superior service. In circumstances that require our attention, we will assist in the resolution process.

We received your inquiry and are currently in the process of researching your concerns. Please allow us three to five business days to complete the review process. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.

If you require further assistance, please respond to this e-mail, or contact Lexus Customer Satisfaction at 1-800-255-3987, Monday through Friday, 5:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., or Saturday, 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Pacific Time.

Sincerely,

Stefanie N. Oda
Lexus Customer Satisfaction
Customer 10/17/2008 08:08 AM
What are the specifications for the 8" Mark Levinson subwoofer in the LS430 Ultras? I am specifically looking for the ohms.

Thanks
Old 10-22-08, 06:54 PM
Gibenstein
Pole Position

Alright I finally got my JL sub delivered so next day I am off my cracking/blown one will be replaced and hopefully make a DIY. I also need to make a DIY on HID fogs since I have not been able to put those in yet to. Crazy at work.
Old 10-27-08, 08:17 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

12ohms? That's just weird.
Old 10-27-08, 11:28 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oversteer just showed you guys a pic with a multimeter that showed 12 ohm, why did some of u still go out at get the JL w0?

that 8" JL w0 can take about 100-130 rms, your oem levinson amp will not be able to power it and the impedance will NOT match. You will blow out your amp.

Also, the oem sub placement on the oem rear deck baffle can only support a 8" sub that does about 20 wrms. The 8" levinson sub is super efficient for the measly 20 wrms it is given.

your already spending 100-150 bucks for a JL w0, mind as well fork out 140 for 10" sub + sealed enclosure, 150 on decent 300 wrms amp, 100 on install.....about 400 bucks total and call it a day.

some of you are trying to get BIG BASS out of your measly 8" oem sub, it's not going to happen. The system was designed to give you the MOST efficient bass that an 8" ib sub with 20 wrms can give u. That's it. Anything more and you have to put real power, a real woofer and some good airspace.
Old 10-28-08, 02:32 PM
Gibenstein
Pole Position

Well to be completely honest I spent 50 dollars on the JL and frankly I did not want anything more then the ML (cost wise). I just did not want to spend all that money on a ML replacement. I also like the stock look in the trunk so I was against going for a aftermarket setup as I dont want to make BIG bass. I just wanted the cracking/popping to stop and a little thump. I bought my LS with the ML blown and I listen to a little rock but mostly 80's lol.
Old 12-14-08, 06:42 PM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mikemareen
Oversteer just showed you guys a pic with a multimeter that showed 12 ohm, why did some of u still go out at get the JL w0?

that 8" JL w0 can take about 100-130 rms, your oem levinson amp will not be able to power it and the impedance will NOT match. You will blow out your amp.

Also, the oem sub placement on the oem rear deck baffle can only support a 8" sub that does about 20 wrms. The 8" levinson sub is super efficient for the measly 20 wrms it is given.

your already spending 100-150 bucks for a JL w0, mind as well fork out 140 for 10" sub + sealed enclosure, 150 on decent 300 wrms amp, 100 on install.....about 400 bucks total and call it a day.

some of you are trying to get BIG BASS out of your measly 8" oem sub, it's not going to happen. The system was designed to give you the MOST efficient bass that an 8" ib sub with 20 wrms can give u. That's it. Anything more and you have to put real power, a real woofer and some good airspace.
Mike, are you saying that the factory amp only puts out 20 watts to the sub? If not, how many watts do you think it puts out to the sub?
Originally Posted by Gibenstein
Well to be completely honest I spent 50 dollars on the JL and frankly I did not want anything more then the ML (cost wise). I just did not want to spend all that money on a ML replacement. I also like the stock look in the trunk so I was against going for a aftermarket setup as I dont want to make BIG bass. I just wanted the cracking/popping to stop and a little thump. I bought my LS with the ML blown and I listen to a little rock but mostly 80's lol.
How did your setup end up sounding?

I have been talking to a installer who is telling me to go with a Kicker Comp 8 ohm sub and just use the factory amp. I know it wont give me the sound I want but I'm thinking it will be a lot better than the popping of the oem sub.

Quick Reply: My first DIY for the LS430...Here comes the BOOM...