LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Fuel Door

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-05, 08:41 AM
SawyerC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Door

I have owned my new 2005 LS430 for about 3 weeks now. After the second tank refill, I noticed an indicator between the fuel gauge and the speedometer titled "fuel door" was lit up. I don't think it was lighted before then, but then there's so much overwhelming information displayed, maybe I missed it. Anyway, several days have gone by and it is still lit. Opening and reclosing the fuel door and removing and replacing the fuel tank cap doesn't change anything, and a visual inspection of that area doesn't reveal to me any sensor. On page 147 of the Owner's Manual it says "The indicator lamp goes off after driving several times. If the indicator lamp does not go off, contact your Lexus dealer as soon as possible." I did contact my dealer, who is 50 miles away, and it's the first they have heard of this problem according to the guy I talked to.

Since I know the door is shut, I don't intend to do anything about it until my next regular service, but I was wondering if anyone on this forum has had a similar problem and/or has a solution.

By the way, I don't know if this is related or not, but the Multifunction Display which said "Range Over 420 Miles" on my first two tanks, said "Range Over 303 Miles" on this fill up. Since I drove more than 300 miles and added only 15 gallons, the computation is clearly wrong. I wonder if the same sensor is involved, as something has to tell the computer I filled the tank. To get a more accurate prediction after fill up do I need to Reset Disp1? If so when - before starting, after starting but in Park, etc. ? The Owner's Manual seems to be silent on this one.
Old 04-26-05, 03:28 PM
SawyerC
Driver School Candidate

Default Fuel Door

OK, I got lots or readers, but no reply. So, can someone tell me if they see the "Fuel Door" indicator light (upper left of the fuel gage) on on their 2005 LS on all the time, or not?
Old 04-26-05, 07:20 PM
wheezemd
Driver School Candidate

I believe it is not a light. It is an indicator on what side of the car the fuel door is located. It does not tell you if the fuel door is open.
Old 04-27-05, 08:47 AM
ikey78
Driver

Yes, it is permanently visible and tells the driver which side the fuel door is on. It will light up at night just like the rest of the display. It is not a low fuel warning message. As I recall there is an orange light located close to the "E" that comes on when the tank is almost empty.
Old 04-27-05, 09:29 AM
TRD-bB
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SawyerC
By the way, I don't know if this is related or not, but the Multifunction Display which said "Range Over 420 Miles" on my first two tanks, said "Range Over 303 Miles" on this fill up. Since I drove more than 300 miles and added only 15 gallons, the computation is clearly wrong. I wonder if the same sensor is involved, as something has to tell the computer I filled the tank. To get a more accurate prediction after fill up do I need to Reset Disp1? If so when - before starting, after starting but in Park, etc. ? The Owner's Manual seems to be silent on this one.
Yes, if you reset your trip computer after fillup, the range should be Over 420 Miles.
But if you did not reset, it will calculate the range based on your ave mpg.
I drive mainly on local streets and maybe 30% freeway, I average about 16 mpg,
and with a gas tank that holds about 19 gallons of fuel, that's how the computer got
the 300 miles range.

hope this helps
Old 04-29-05, 08:46 PM
SawyerC
Driver School Candidate

Default Fuel Door

Thanks for the input. Even my dealer doesn't know whether the "fuel door" indicator should be on all the time or not.
Old 04-30-05, 11:37 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TRD-bB
Yes, if you reset your trip computer after fillup, the range should be Over 420 Miles.
But if you did not reset, it will calculate the range based on your ave mpg.
I drive mainly on local streets and maybe 30% freeway, I average about 16 mpg,
and with a gas tank that holds about 19 gallons of fuel, that's how the computer got
the 300 miles range.

hope this helps

Just as a note: we have 22.8Gallons, but wait, they reduced the tank capacity in 2000, nevermind.
Old 04-30-05, 02:45 PM
SawyerC
Driver School Candidate

A minor revision 22.2 gal now