LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

'04 LS430 Throttle Tip-In Problem?

Old 12-10-04, 11:50 AM
Mandingo
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the software upgrade completed this morning and have completed one 20 mile journey back from the dealer to my office.

As anyone with this problem knows the symptoms are somewhat intermittent - some days it can be better than others - so I would treat this preliminary feedback with a little caution.

If I were to answer the simple question: "Is it better after the change?" the answer would be a tentative yes.

Do I still experience the hesitation/jerkiness at low speeds (accelerating in traffic at or below 10mph)? It appears to be better.

It also appears to have made an improvement at higher speeds, seemingly being in the right gear more often as I respond to changing traffic conditions, giving the impression of more smoothness.

One thing that I realized is that I am sensitized to the problem and so it might take me a little while to "unlearn" compensation behavior and just drive normally - if I can forget to think about accelerator position as I drive then I will judge this upgrade a complete success.

I will update my impressions over the next few days as I put more miles on the car.

Last edited by Mandingo; 12-10-04 at 06:39 PM.
Old 12-10-04, 01:09 PM
dingo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Based on this article concerning the ES series I would think Lex is aware of this:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04343/423383.stm

d
Old 12-10-04, 04:01 PM
ihparker
Driver School Candidate

Mandingo-

My dealer claims to have not heard of the update. Can you look at your service receipt and see if their is a description that is useful for me to quote to them. Thanks!

Ian
Old 12-10-04, 08:55 PM
Mandingo
Driver

TSIB #TC006-04

Hope this helps.
Old 12-10-04, 08:58 PM
ihparker
Driver School Candidate

Thank you so much!
Old 12-11-04, 09:07 AM
lotus
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

My 1999 LS 400 does the exact same thing, always has too. If I go slow over a speed bump, and try to go, it hesitates and surges forward, so I always take it easy on Coast-Go situations. It does seem like this is very common in the Drive By Wire designs.

Also wanted to mention that if I replace my air filter, the problem vanishes for a day or so, not sure if the ECU detects a change in air flow and does something I am unaware of, but after 3 filter changes it did it very time. Also, removing power from my battery does the same thing.

Could this be related to the "Learning driving pattern" that the ECU does?

Last edited by lotus; 12-11-04 at 09:10 AM.
Old 12-11-04, 09:32 AM
Mandingo
Driver

I suspect the learning feature of the transmission is more trouble than it's worth. People like predictable user experiences.

This is similar to the "learning menus" in recent Windows applications - items change their positions on menus according to how frequently they're used. Great idea in theory, in practise it just frustrates the heck out of users because the experience becomes unpredictable.
Old 12-11-04, 10:44 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by lotus
My 1999 LS 400 does the exact same thing, always has too. If I go slow over a speed bump, and try to go, it hesitates and surges forward, so I always take it easy on Coast-Go situations. It does seem like this is very common in the Drive By Wire designs.

Also wanted to mention that if I replace my air filter, the problem vanishes for a day or so, not sure if the ECU detects a change in air flow and does something I am unaware of, but after 3 filter changes it did it very time. Also, removing power from my battery does the same thing.

Could this be related to the "Learning driving pattern" that the ECU does?
Yes, I found that reseting th ECU takes care of the problem away for a day or two max.
Old 12-12-04, 07:54 AM
Mandingo
Driver

UPDATE:

I have put 100 miles on the car since the software update and the good news is that the car is noticably smoother than before across the entire speed range.

Low speed driving around town is now a pleasure - slow speed corners now seem effortless with no sense of being in too low a gear - cruising around parking lots looking for a space are no longer a feather-the-throttle balancing act.

10mph pick up is easier - I wouldn't say it's perfect but it is significantly easier to coast and go than before.

As others have pointed out resetting the ECU can have a positive (temporary) effect and so I need to drive it another week before being 100% convinced this has resolved the problem, but so far so good.
Old 12-13-04, 06:49 PM
MikeC4w
Driver School Candidate

WOW!!!!!! that is great that they know what that is & can fix it (I HOPE) !!!1
I thought it was just me ,,,,, it is such a suttle thing you are not sure it is
really a problem.....
Old 12-15-04, 04:37 PM
MikeC4w
Driver School Candidate

i made an apointment to have mine done next week. I was in the dealers today with my wife's GX 470
& I showed him the ### & he found it & said he will take care of it next week.... I HOPE at that point my 2004 LS 430 will be as perfect as my 2001 LS430 was....... This was my only real complaint....
Old 12-16-04, 06:50 AM
Mandingo
Driver

FWIW, it is now a week since having the new software and the car still appears to be doing much better.

The twitchy throttle response is 90% improved and I am learning to appreciate the LS430 all over again.

It has transformed the car for me, hopefully you will have a similar experience.
Old 12-16-04, 08:32 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Originally posted by Mandingo
FWIW, it is now a week since having the new software and the car still appears to be doing much better.

The twitchy throttle response is 90% improved and I am learning to appreciate the LS430 all over again.

It has transformed the car for me, hopefully you will have a similar experience.
Thanks for the updates buddy, you've given us new hope
Old 12-16-04, 11:02 AM
Horta
Lead Lap

Grand

My 98 did this also when I first bought it. I posted here and others had the same issues.

I took my car in for its 30k service or somthing like that and they did a injector cleaning. After that the throttle problem TOTALY went away. JBRADY here on CL had the same issue, I dont know if his went away.

Jerry
Old 12-16-04, 03:22 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Originally posted by Horta
Grand

My 98 did this also when I first bought it. I posted here and others had the same issues.

I took my car in for its 30k service or somthing like that and they did a injector cleaning. After that the throttle problem TOTALY went away. JBRADY here on CL had the same issue, I dont know if his went away.

Jerry
The injectors were cleaned not too long ago... hmmm.... but the car sat for a while until i bought it... oh well, i'll clean them anyways and hope for the best. I really hope this takes care of it, but i doubt it. Do you remember what else was done at that 30K service?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '04 LS430 Throttle Tip-In Problem?