LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Lexus Link

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-04, 09:45 PM
GSX4
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus Link

I was just informed that there is no more Lexus Link available on the new car. If one wants one, are there any after-market system similar to the Lexus Link available out there? One of my family member wants one.

Has anyone installed one after-market or OEM parts installed after purchase, not from Japan?

Thanks everyone.

GSX4
Old 03-21-04, 07:26 PM
EdSpider
Driver School Candidate

Default Link or UnLink

I asked my dealer why the 2004 still has the roof stubby antenna. It's a good question since Lexus Link is not available & cell phone integration is via blue tooth. The XM option doesn't use it. I was thinking it might be for the GPS.

The answer I got was Lexus Link could still be had. He didn't elaborate and I didn't push since I didn't care. Maybe if you don't take no for answer, you'll get another answer.
Old 03-21-04, 09:22 PM
GSX4
Rookie

Default Lexus Link

Thanks Edspider,

I tried calling the dealership and they said it will not be available and it's not an option. Good thoughts about the antenna. They told me that there's going to be a campaigne taking all the existing one from the current owner off, at no charge, if they want to. Off course my thoughts was..." Can I get one of those?" Due to the connection to airbags and other sensitive electrical device that the Lexus Link connects, they declined any work with those risk. I'll continue to ask.
Old 03-22-04, 01:14 AM
MisterL
Driver School Candidate

Lightbulb

are you guys saying that Lexus Link is unavailable all together or only on the 2004 LS 430's?

L.
Old 03-22-04, 06:38 AM
EdSpider
Driver School Candidate

Default What we're saying

Dealers are saying Lexus Link is NOT available on 2004. It was available on 2001-2003 for about $1000 plus subscription.

That would be great if they have a campaign to remove the antenna. They'd still need to plug the holes, but that would look a lot better.
Old 03-22-04, 07:57 AM
MisterL
Driver School Candidate

bummer, i think its a neat service. i haven't taken advantage of it as of yet but i thought it was around $500/year. if its in the 1K range, i'll likely pass on it.

it would seem to me that removing the stub and dilly dallying with all the electronics that touch that thing would be taking a chance at fixing something that's not broke. to each his own, i hope it all works out for you lucky 2004 folks.

L.
Old 03-22-04, 08:03 AM
EdSpider
Driver School Candidate

There is that risk with removing the stub. The pricing was $1000 for the feature. The first year is free. After that it costs about $250 a year to renew. Lexus Link is just GM's OnStar. They sub'd the whole thing to GM, but GM charged Toyata a premium and Lexus in turn marked it up to much to be sustainable..

OnStar costs about $500 with $60 renewel fee. There's a market for that price tier. I'd be there and so would you.
Old 03-22-04, 11:37 AM
MisterL
Driver School Candidate

Wink fake Onstar

you are correct. i'll have to look into it a little more. it seems to be something handy to have.

thanks,

L.
Old 03-22-04, 08:51 PM
GSX4
Rookie

A friend of mine helped me investigate a little further (Don't know how creditable this ls...). He said that the reason why the 2004 LS430 does not have the Lexus Link is because it's an analog system, not digital. LS430 has gone to bluetooth and prepare to launch another system that does not require the aids of OnStar. The current (previous) system work just like a cell phone, reception sometime are less stronger than a digital cell phone. Relating that to safety can result to bigger problems. No info on the new system yet but will have something to do with bluetooth. He said he spoke to the service manager at his local dealership. Again, I don't know how creditable this is but it sound logical. What do you guys think?
Old 03-22-04, 09:03 PM
LS430inTX
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I addressed this topic a few weeks ago here :

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=113172
Old 03-22-04, 09:18 PM
GSX4
Rookie

Thumbs up

LS430inTX,

Wow that's great! So there are 2004 LS430 out there with Lexus Link. And the analog & digital reason is correct. But why so long? Can they convert and retrofit, like now???
Old 03-22-04, 10:03 PM
LS430inTX
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Just to clarify - it has nothing to do with Bluetooth and everything to do with the digital cellular networks (again not Bluetooth).

Can they convert/retrofit now? Not according to my conversation with the LexusLink rep. In my opinion, I think Lexus really screwed this whole thing up. There is no reason to just stop installing the analog LexusLink while they develop the digital version. After all, they continue to use the Dynamic Laser Cruise until they develop the Radar version. What's worse is that Lexus has not communicated with the dealers clearly about this LexusLink haitus nor have they communicated with existing owners or potential owners. Telematics (what OnStar and LexusLink is technically called) is becoming extremely popular and increasingly in demand. Any serious Luxury car competitor cannot afford NOT to have a telematics system of some sort. For Pete's sake, the Chevy Cavalier even comes with OnStar. I think Lexus will get a black eye over this.

LexusLink costs 250.00/yr for the "Safety and Security" package. For me, it's worth it and I'm glad I have it. I intend on renewing it every year.
Old 03-23-04, 01:00 AM
MisterL
Driver School Candidate

now that's good information. so is your obligation $250/year every year or was that the initial offering after the first year? and what does the $250 cover other than the emergency services stuff and the ability to have them secure you a reservation (at some restaurant that you don't already have stored in your cell phone)?
i'm trying to convince myself that i'm actually going to use the thing vs. just having it sitting around as a second insurance policy in case i drive off a bridge. my reason for going with the Ultra Luxury, the 430 as a whole really was the safety features. and that they kick Mercedes butt. know what i mean!

L.
Old 03-23-04, 06:32 AM
EdSpider
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus eLink

That makes a lot of sense to me. Maybe the service will be priced less too. I won't pay $250 every year, but I would pay $100.
Old 03-23-04, 06:55 PM
GSX4
Rookie

LS430inTX, you hit it right on the money. I think Lexus really took the wrong approach on this one. Sometime you can't really put $$ on safety. It should be available to us while trying to develope a digital version. Anyway, it is what it is! Thanks to everyone for your input.

Quick Reply: Lexus Link