LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Lexus Link

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-04, 04:30 AM
rcf8000
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My understanding is that the $250 per year buys only emergency services. If you want more, it costs more, I think. If anybody knows the details of this, please tell us.
Old 03-24-04, 08:25 PM
LS430inTX
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

MisterL, My '03 Ultra came with 1 year of Lexus Link in the price of the car. I am not scheduled to renew until August but when that time comes, it will be $250 every August. There are two levels of LexusLink. I have the basic package called the "safety and security" package. The top level package adds the concierge service to the safety and security package. I believe this one is near $500/yr. That's the one that can make reservations for you. You don't get that with the basic package. What the basic package has is this:

If you lock your keys in the car, call LexusLink and they can open the door remotely.
If you are in an accident and the air bags go off, LL calls you over the rear-left speaker to see if you are alright. If you don't answer, they will automatically call the paramedics giving them the exact location (from the onboard GPS information)
If the car ever gets stolen, the alarm will secretly dial LexusLink to advise a possible theft is in progress. LL will attempt to call you but if they cannot reach you, they will contact law enforcement, giving them the exact location of the car at all times based on the onboard GPS info. If the main car battery is disconnected, a smaller hidden battery will power the LexusLink electronics. (think LoJack here)

There is a panic button onboard. Press it and police/paramedics will show up at your location no questions asked.

I'm sure there's more but I can't remember them off the top of my head.
Old 03-24-04, 08:31 PM
LS430inTX
Driver

Ok, I did not articulate myself very well in that last post. For complete details of LexusLink, go here:

http://www.lexus.com/lexuslink/
Old 03-24-04, 08:35 PM
MisterL
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus Link

thanks a ton LS430inTX, i wonder though. are they notified if my airbags deploy and i don't subscribe to Lexus Link? will they not call the police for me? there are just so many little Intricacies that go along with this car.
i don't know. i think for the way i use the car, paying $500/year wouldn't be beneficial.
next thing you know, with all the gps in use now a days, the next technology will be such that, in case of emergency "smash your cell phone" if you do that, that will signal the police and emergency folks to come to the place where you smashed the phone. don't be surprised, its coming and nothing can stop it.

L.
Old 03-24-04, 08:40 PM
MisterL
Driver School Candidate

Post Lexus Link or NO

oh, by the way, i'm in the 2002 Mystic Gold Metallic Ultra Luxury with the chrome factory wheels and beige interior.. so we are talking apples and apples.

L.
Old 03-25-04, 05:47 PM
LS430inTX
Driver

The LexusLink system must be "activated" and that activation is accomplished by the LexusLink operators after you give them the unique ESN of the cellular electronics located in the trunk. Only when the system is activated will it contact LL in the event of airbag deployment. And , yes, the system is only activated when you subscribe.

I like your idea of smashing your cell phone. But I'm afraid I would be smashing it for other reasons than an emergency.

I am waiting for aftermarket telematics system. I was disappointed to find that I could not add OnStar to my '02 Chevy S10. OnStar said that the electrical system on my S10 was not designed to incorporate the OnStar electronics. (Dammit) The only thing with potential aftermarket systems is that they probably won't be able to integrate into the proprietary air bag systems.
Old 03-25-04, 06:43 PM
MisterL
Driver School Candidate

that stinks, it just so happens that my second vehicle is also a chevy. i'm riding the 98 Tahoe LT 4x4.
i have to ask you this though LS430inTX, you seem to have a good bit of knowledge with this vehicle i just can't resist. my Lexus dealer is installing a DVD entertainment system in my LS 430 next week. I'm getting the larger monitors in the rear headrests and i was wondering if you or anyone for that matter know if the Navigational system screen has the ability to display the DVD movie?

it would have to be a factory product as i'm not interested in anything aftermarket screwing around with my navigational system and the billions of electical components behind this touch screen. my sane mind say's to just get the headrests and be satisfied with that, but i have to ask the question to see if the technology is out there. at this point, i'm so very afraid of something not going right, i'm reluctant to ask the dealer to look deeper into it.
i just thought that i'd ask. it would be very nice to be able to switch from the Nav/AC/Audio touch controls over to a movie playing.

hoping and wishing for too much, i know,

L.
Old 03-25-04, 08:19 PM
LS430inTX
Driver

MisterL, I am afraid you are probably out of luck with the DVD movie displaying on the NAV screen if you are wanting a "factory" product/install. However, if you are not set against non-factory, there is an individual on this board who, I believe, has done what you are asking or at least he knows how to. Do a search for a user named VideoNavi. His handle says it all. I don't know this person personally but I have read several of his technical posts and he seems to be very capable and knowledgable particularly when it comes to "tapping" into the navigation system.

I don't think the dealer would ever attempt to do such a modification as it would be illegal in many if not all states to display video on a display that was visible to the driver.

You are wise to be very reticent to "muck" with any of the electronic sub-systems in the LS. Most are very interconnected and the potential is there to really cause $1000's in damage to the electronic components.
Old 03-25-04, 08:26 PM
MisterL
Driver School Candidate

Default My Lex and I

enough said, i won't screw with it. i'd hate to screw around with all this warranty i've stacked up on this baby. i just had to ask the question. if its not something the dealer can install and cover under my Lexus warranty ......FORGEDDABOUDIT!!

i was curious the most because the way i treat this car, ..... my wife hadn't even driven it. and i'd hate to find myself in the garage with the car on just to experience reclining the seats and watching a movie.
that being said, i really do have a great life outside of this car, so .......

L.
Old 03-26-04, 06:21 AM
EdSpider
Driver School Candidate

Default Hey MisterL, Tell us about that DVD

Can you tell me more about this back of headrest dvd player you're dealer is putting in? Who makes it? What does it cost? Where do you insert the DVD? Do they cut a hole in the headrest, or does it replace the headrest?
Old 03-26-04, 07:29 AM
MisterL
Driver School Candidate

Default on the DVD

Hey MisterL, Tell us about that DVD

there is a dealer installed DVD that comes with 5 inch screens that runs about $1500. if you know someone at the dealer and can get it at their cost you can chop half that price off. I'm being told that since i have the 430, its headrests are larger than most so it would look at lot nicer if i got the larger monitors that will fill out the head rest better than the 5". they are either 7 or 8 inch monitors and this system is around $1800. and i know someone at the dealership. my best guess is that they have to make an incision into the headrest to get them in there and the DVD player will be mounted in my top glove box in the front. this is all being done by the dealer keep in mind and is fully covered with my warranty.

they installed the 5" monitors in my wife's RX 300 and they are beautiful. i couldn't imagine someone doing a better job than was done on the RX. It looks as if it came that way from the factory. it comes with a very easy to use remote control and two wireless headsets. you can also plug wired speakers directly into the monitor if you don't want to use the wireless earphones. you have the ability to power on one monitor independently from the other so if there is only one person in the back seat, you don't have to have both monitors playing. same goes if the other rear passenger just doesn't want to watch, they don't have to. its pretty neat. i'm being told that the larger monitors will look even beetter.

the monitors do not replace the headrests, they are visible and inserted in the rear of the headrest.
i was on the interstate maybe three days ago and saw a silver 430 with the 5" monitors ride by me, i couldn't help but to accelerate and ride behind it, it was beautiful.

the problem this will create is that every time there is a trip to be taken, everyone wants to ride the Lexus, LS, 4 and a half, ................. minus 20.

i'd have to look at my RX 300 to see who makes the DVD player system. I"m not sure it will be the same as the one i'm getting as my monitors will be larger. it may be the case where i'm getting the same player and they are just using different monitors and its possible that i'll be getting a different system all together. i'm just not sure.

the problem i have with it is that its not on an auxillary channel the way they set it up. you have to use one of your radio stations for everyone in the cablin to hear the DVD through the car's speakers. the way it operates is that you tune in to a radio channel and from there you have to tune the speakers in and find that frequency. its not difficult at all but i'd rather once the radio channel was selected by the driver/front passenger that they were automatically tuned to the wireless headsets. i believe that would require more hardware though. probably another monitor with its own frequency. in my Tahoe, its on an auxillary channel and once i go to auxillary there is no tuning of the wireless headsets, it just plays immediately. if you leave the headrests tuned in the same position, its not likely that you'll have to tune them each time so it really only needs to be done once. the tuning mechanism on the wireless headsets are identical to the volume control on the headsets.
i am satisfied with the one the installed in the RX though. its very clean and nicely done. i guess when i spend the money i just want it all and want it like i want it. sue me!
Old 03-27-04, 10:37 AM
Phil
Driver

I have a 2003 LS430 and the first year was free. When I re-newed, it cost $400 because I added concierge service and have found in invaluable. I didn't have my cell phone with me one time and had to get a hold of my wife, Lexus Link called her for me and we spoke to each other. Very good service! Also, have had them locate hotels, businesses, etc.

Phil
Old 04-01-04, 09:37 PM
LS430inTX
Driver

Angry New detailed information

I have new, more detailed information regarding the fate of LexusLink than what I stated before. I have discovered that Lexus has initiated a Limited Service Campaign (LSC) number 4LA. This LSC details what is happening to Lexus Link and provides instructions to dealers on how to permanently remove the LexusLink hardware including the voice prompt at startup. This particular LSC pertains to the LS model but follow on LSCs are coming to address other models with LexusLink. Below is one of my posts with updated information in bold

Lexus's version is called LexusLink and it actually is OnStar with Lexus dedicated operators. LexusLink is still very much alive. What's happened is that a very limited number of '04 models are being produced with Lexus Link but they are hard to find. Lexus is currently in the process of developing new hardware to be compatible with the digital wireless networks that are so prevalent now (the current LexusLink hardware is analog-based). the FCC recently rulled that starting Feb 2008, cellular providers no longer have to maintain backward compatibility with analog systems. They expect the new hardware to be fully available with the '05 model year. The LSC states that it will be available in fall of 2005. That means LexusLink won't be available until the '06 model. Retrofits will probably be available. No they won't. According to the LSC, Lexus states to the question of retrofits that "No [retrofits will not be available], it is imperitive that we maintain the Lexus tradition of quality, and we believe that factory installation of this product is the most effective installation method."The new hardware must also work with the analog systems but 2008 is when digital will be exclusive and any analog hardware still out there will probably cease to function. This is still true. The actual date is Feb 2008.

This information came straight from a LexusLink customer service rep. And apparently missing a few details

The upshot of all this is:

1) All current models with analog Lexus Link will still work up until Feb 2008 after which, digital Lexus Link will be exclusive and analog Lexus Link hardware will cease to function.

2) There will be NO, repeat N-O, "retrofit" or "upgrade" from analog to digital.

3) '04 and '05 LS430's will have extrememly limited availability of LexusLink hardware.

4) The new digital LexusLink will not be available until the '06 model year.

5) If you want LexusLink beyond Feb 2008, you will have to purchase an '06 or later LS.

6) If you no longer want the analog LexusLink hardware in your car, Lexus will remove it for free (including the annoying voice prompt at startup). Go to your dealer and ask for Limited Service Campaign 4LA. This will PERMANENTLY remove LexusLink from your vehicle. You have until Dec 31, 2007 to have this hardware removed for free.

7) I hate Lexus for this.

8) They screwed me out of an XM retrofit and now LexusLink.

9) I should have bought an Acura TL.

10) I won't buy Lexus again.
Old 04-03-04, 07:05 PM
MisterL
Driver School Candidate

Default My Nav and ME

is it possible that someone in this forum can point me to someone in Atlanta, GA. who has experience making the DVD movie play on the Nav screen? someone who can do it with my 430 safely and without experiment.

I would really appreciate it, its killing me.
Old 04-04-04, 12:24 PM
rcf8000
Pole Position

With GM cranking out a huge number of vehicles with OnStar, it is hard to believe that all of those systems will become useless after Feb 2008. Just because the carriers CAN drop analog service after than date doesn't mean they WILL. GM evidently either doesn't believe the service will be discontinued, or expects to be prepared to deal with thousands of irate OnStar users. Of course, Lexus could drop their deal with OnStar and stop providing Lexus Link even if the service is still up and running, but I can't believe they'd do that, especially if they are continuing to provide SOME cars with the capability for the next year or so.

Last edited by rcf8000; 04-04-04 at 12:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Lexus Link