LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Onstar or whatever Lexus Called It

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-04, 01:13 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 409 Likes on 282 Posts
Default Onstar or whatever Lexus Called It

When did Lexus get rid of their version of ONSTAR and why did they do it and do the other luxury names still have it and if so why isn't Lexus competitive?
Old 03-10-04, 05:12 PM
LS430inTX
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Lexus's version is called LexusLink and it actually is OnStar with Lexus dedicated operators. LexusLink is still very much alive. What's happened is that a very limited number of '04 models are being produced with Lexus Link but they are hard to find. Lexus is currently in the process of developing new hardware to be compatible with the digital wireless networks that are so prevalent now (the current LexusLink hardware is analog-based). They expect the new hardware to be fully available with the '05 model year. Retrofits will probably be available. The new hardware must also work with the analog systems but 2008 is when digital will be exclusive and any analog hardware still out there will probably cease to function.

This information came straight from a LexusLink customer service rep.
Old 03-10-04, 06:51 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 409 Likes on 282 Posts

Ah. Thanks. I was just curious!
Old 03-23-04, 01:10 AM
MisterL
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus link stuff

i'm new to this forum, i'd imagine the questions and information that i'll seek, you guys probably discussed in detail years back.

sorry for the inconvenience.

it'll be ok.

L.
Old 08-14-04, 05:05 PM
WileCoyote
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by LS430inTX
Lexus's version is called LexusLink and it actually is OnStar with Lexus dedicated operators. LexusLink is still very much alive. What's happened is that a very limited number of '04 models are being produced with Lexus Link but they are hard to find. Lexus is currently in the process of developing new hardware to be compatible with the digital wireless networks that are so prevalent now (the current LexusLink hardware is analog-based). They expect the new hardware to be fully available with the '05 model year. Retrofits will probably be available. The new hardware must also work with the analog systems but 2008 is when digital will be exclusive and any analog hardware still out there will probably cease to function.

This information came straight from a LexusLink customer service rep.
This is great info, if you learn of any new developments, postings would be great!
Old 08-15-04, 09:49 PM
LS430inTX
Driver

Yes there is an update to my original post. Lexus currently is stating that there will be NO retrofit of the digital into those vehicles that currently have analog. There is a Limited Service Campaign number 4LA that applies to 2001-2004 LS430's. This campaign details how the dealers are to perform a COMPLETE and PERMANENT removal of analog Lexus Link hardware. The Campaign specifically states this:

"Although there is nothing wrong with the Lexus Link hardware, the FCC ruled that cellular telephone companies operating in the United States are no longer required to provide analog service after February 2008. Cellular carriers are quickly transitioning to digital networks and since Lexus Link uses analog technology and cannot be modified to digital operation, Lexus is offering this customer satisfaction program because we understand customers may prefer to remove the hardware completely, or they may want to eliminate the voice prompt that is sounded each time the vehicle is started."
Old 11-22-04, 12:06 PM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Tell me more

I'd like to have my LL system removed by the dealer. Is this a FREE option that I can pursure? Where did you get this information to begin with?

Thanks in advance...
Old 11-22-04, 01:36 PM
TRD-bB
Pole Position

Default Re: Tell me more

Originally posted by DDLexus
I'd like to have my LL system removed by the dealer. Is this a FREE option that I can pursure? Where did you get this information to begin with?

Thanks in advance...
Yes, this is a free of charge service.
Lexus sent me a detailed letter explaining the procedure.

I believe you can bring your LS in, and they'll be able to remove the Lexus Link components for you.
Old 11-22-04, 02:24 PM
MikeC4w
Driver School Candidate

i think the real story is The Lexus link is no more. No one was renewing it so Lexus did away with it.
Everyone has a cell phone, it is really a stupid option for the money.....
Old 11-22-04, 04:10 PM
LS430inTX
Driver

Yes, this is a free service. If the dealer gives you any flack just tell the the procedure is covered by Limited Service Campaign number 4LA

LexusLink is OnStar with Lexus dedicated operators. It's very popular and getting more popular every year. I for one think it is a very good system from a security and safety standpoint. It has a "LoJack"-type system so whenever anyone tries to steal the car, it silently calls LexusLink to inform them and provides the GPS coordinates where the car is located. I also like the fact that if I am in an accident, it automatically calls LexusLink to inform them to send the paramedics - again using GPS coords to precisely locate the car. Kinda hard for a cell phone to do all that.
Old 11-22-04, 06:17 PM
MikeC4w
Driver School Candidate

I have a new 04 ls430 & they have no lexus link in them..... They told me no one wants it so they did away
with it. My 2001 the first 2 years were free & i did not renew it for the 3rd. If it gets stolen I dont ever want to see it again..If i get hurt so bad that i cant use the cell phone,,,,,, O well i wont remember it...
Old 11-22-04, 07:05 PM
rl9905
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dad has a 2003 GX470 and it has Lexus Link on it. Well they told me that after February 2008, Lexus link service will no longer be offered to analog customers. But the Limited campaign Ends i think december of 2007. So if you bring your car before dec 2007 then it's free. That's all I know. Not to mention, the Lexus Link Message is annoying. You have to hear it everytime you start the car "The Lexus Link is Active". Can't turn it off. But if you dont have the service active, Then you get a longer message that is 4 times longer then the active message.

Last edited by rl9905; 11-22-04 at 07:07 PM.
Old 11-22-04, 07:50 PM
ragabnh
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts
Smile

How much are the annual fee for this feature

Thanks
Old 11-22-04, 11:28 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Lexus Link

Originally posted by ragabnh

How much are the annual fee for this feature

Thanks
http://www.lexus.com/lexuslink/

~ Cap
Old 11-23-04, 05:02 PM
MikeC4w
Driver School Candidate

i just had the lexus link removed from my wife's GX 470....
Yes that message is a pain in the rear........to say the least
I'm glad it is gone..................

Quick Reply: Onstar or whatever Lexus Called It